Bungie Sling?

tr1gg3r_h4ppy

It's a two point sling made out of bungie cord so it sits tight against your body and will stretch out as you bring the weapon up to aim. It depends on the stretchiness and length of the actual sling as to whether it will work with both those guns well although given they are roughly similar sizes I imagine they will.

Both an M16A2 and an AK-47 are fairly long, therefore, in my opinion they are too long for a 1-point sling. If I were you, I'd buy a 2-point. They allow you to keep your rifle closer and more secure to your body. The only drawbacks of a 2-point sling is that you can often not be able to keep the sling around you while shouldering your rifles and at the same time keep the rifle secure to your body when not in use.

A 1-point sling is basically just a tool to help you not drop your rifle. While running you will have to hold it in place so that it doesnt move violently around you. I like my 1-point, but its more for direct action when you keep your rifle ready to go at all times.

3-points are, in my opinion, horrible! They do fit nicely around you and keep everything secure to your body but its just to much of a sling. Simplisity is the key to success.

A single point and a weapons catch would be a good idea. When running/ in the safe zone/ interacting with people, you can have it in the catch, so it's not flopping around or hitting people in the face etc. But then you can detach it whne engaging the enemy.

If they are set up right and it's a decent sling you don't need to detach them. I use two models of single point sling: the NE Tac bungie sling and the (non-bungie) Spectre Mout. Both will prevent the weapon getting seperated from you and can be used to carry the weapon hands free for short periods, although they tend to swing a round a bit.

As mentioned above a weapons catch makes it feasible to use a single point sling to hold the weapon in the slung position to carry out other tasks like climbing. In the real world single points are mostly used in CQB and vehicle borne ops as they interfere less with the pointing of the weapon and are pretty ambidexterous. However they don't support much of the weapons weight and again without a seperate catch or strap don't hold the weapon out of the way when slung. That's why more tradition two and three point slings still get used for patrolling on foot.

Of the two slings above I definately prefer the NE Tac bungie style as the shock cord element allows some "give" in the sling. It can keep the rifle close to the body but it will stretch when I push the weapon into a shooting position. The cord is also strong enough not to simply stretch out under the weight of the gun alone.

Note: Most single point slings don't work very well with bullpup configuration rifles and don't offer enough support for a SAW. I tend to use a spectre SAW or CQB sling with these kinds of weapons.

Archived