Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mars and BUKA

I prefer Haley' as well. Been seeing more setups like that on the rifles of people returning from carbine courses(maybe not so much the PEQ).

Looks like one of the fancier surefires( 951 maybe, which are a waste with LED bulbs these days, little G2's can pump out 245 lumens for a good period of time) and a SureFire IR illuminator.

Do we even have a replica for the Aimpoint Micro T-1 Larue High mount?

so what are we doing gang, going full circle from mil to practical civilian ar15's here lol.

Anyone notice the Magpul MOE stocks are out at WGC. Once they release the Handguard and BUIS i look forward to making a "I am a magpul ######" backup AR.

Edited by Azulsky

I've had everything I need to build Travis Haley's AR for a while (including a RS Aimpoint Micro T-1 with a LaRue high mount). I actually put it together a couple weeks back but didn't feel it was my style. Chris Costa's on the other hand is very much my style. I'm not going to make it identical... but it'll be extremely close. I know I've seen some tech videos on the DVDs that showed he had a Magpul lower, but I'm pretty sure for all the training/class videos on the first DVD, his rifle was a full on KAC SR16 with various accessories.

My parts list so far:

* VFC SR16E3 IWS 10.5 inch ... with the 10.5" barrel swapped to a KA 11.5" barrel (lipo in the buffer tube wired to Deans)

* RS KAC 200-600 Meter Flip-Up Rear Sight

* RS Surefire M900 in Tan with beam cover

* RS Aimpoint M3 (4 MOA) with RS rubber Aimpoint cover in FDE

* RS LaRue Tactical Cantilever Aimpoint Mount (I'd use my RS KAC Cantilever Mount if I could find it).

* RS Magpul XT Full Length Rail Panels in FDE

* RS Magpul CTR Mil-Spec in FDE

* Magpul PTS PMAG in FDE with RS Magpul Ranger Plate

* Vanaras PEQ-15 in FDE

* G&P KAC 2005 Style Type Flashhider

The base gun itself is where I deviated from what Costa used (his was a SR16, mine will be a SR16E3 IWS), however, what I love about the VFC gun is the functional ambi-selectors, ambi-bolt releases, ambi-mag catch, built-in single point sling mounts... and none of these features are available on the market currently in a true SR16 configuration. Because the VFC has all of these, I chose it over the G&P SR16, however I had to switch the 10.5" barrel to a 11.5" barrel to be the same length as that of the KAC SR16.

All that's left is for the SR16E3 to arrive (I have everything else) and for me to put it all together... which may not happen for a few weeks as my left arm is out of commision for the next several months (completely tore off my left distal bicep tendon 3 weeks ago for which I just had surgery last week . It's gonna be a long time till I'm back to 100% <_< ).

Directed towards the last dozen or so posters with new Magpul projects... how many AEGs are you guys running with? Every so often a new project is in the works and I lose count (I love every picture moment too :D ), I'm curious to know whether you guys keep each AEG, cannibalize it after pics or sell it.

Just talking ARs... I have probably about 9 fully built ARs at any one time and parts to build another 4 complete ARs. That's just ARs though... I have too many guns. <_<

When I go to a regular weekend game, I bring three ARs. When I go to a major OP I take my Eagle M4 Sigma Bag with about 7 rifles in individual padded sleeves.

Here I am with that colossal bag at Camp Pendleton's MOUT facility heading over to the chrono station:

uscmcorpsbagofgunshs7.jpg

Magpul PTS Ranger plates DO require you to remove the bottom plate of the AEG mag in order to install them. Let me see here... ahhhhh-ha! Found it!!! Here's a guide I wrote way back in April 2007.

Enjoy.

Dang. Was hopeing they worked on platic ones. Eagle Chest rig pretty much needs magpuls and not a fan of Tape and cord. So I may just sell them and invest in new metal mags. Maybe the cool magpul PTS 89 rounder ones

Also, Big bag is bigggggg

Edited by Mr Foxhound

That shiny bit by the bolt release, in case anyone was curious, is an extended bit that allows you to release the bolt with the trigger finger. It's a custom thing from Larue that is not produced for civilian consumption.

Oh, forgot about that part. I had everything else... I think. :mellow:

Dang that's a big pic.

I'll just list the part out for those in case any one is interested.

Travis Haley

[...] Troy BUIS. [/...]

Don't think so, these FDE colored BUIS seem to be the MBUS polymer flip-ups from Magpul.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/mr242/MagpulBUIS.jpg

Not comercially available till now AFAIK, maybe still prototypes.

Don't think so, these FDE colored BUIS seem to be the MBUS polymer flip-ups from Magpul.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/mr242/MagpulBUIS.jpg

Correct. Travis' AR definitely used a Magpul MOE BUIS. You could tell the rear Magpul MOE BUIS wasn't staying down flat, and in the latter half of the 1st DVD he swapped it to something else.

Not comercially available till now AFAIK, maybe still prototypes.

Well they work for Magpul, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had access to prototypes or items slated for release.

All the adds for the rear MOE BUIS say "Available in 2008" ... well it's November. Doesn't give them a whole lot of time left if they're trying to stick with their schedule.

Man... I wish Magpul would release those BUIS already.

Edited by uscmCorps

Magpuls supplies are running low on everything from pistol grips, to real p-mags, to stocks. Mr. Drake the owner of Magpul said "soon" but i dont forsee them coming out this year considering that weapon sales are up at record numbers and magpul is swamped.

That shiny bit by the bolt release, in case anyone was curious, is an extended bit that allows you to release the bolt with the trigger finger. It's a custom thing from Larue that is not produced for civilian consumption.

Isnt the SR-16 already ambi? The only difference between that Larue super mil/leo only version is that it hooks down into the trigger area, while the commerical versions stay free of that area, but both are trigger finger activated....

Edited by Azulsky
Isnt the SR-16 already ambi? The only difference between that Larue super mil/leo only version is that it hooks down into the trigger area, while the commerical versions stay free of that area, but both are trigger finger activated....

The only thing ambi on the real SR-16 is the selector. Neither the mag catch nor the bolt release is ambi (only the SR-15 E3 IWS has all three). An ambi-mag catch can be installed with ease, but the bolt release is a whole different matter. The part that loops down is for the bolt release which can be difficult to access with the Readi-Mag in the way. Also Travis' methodology is all about speed and efficiency. During a double feed, in order to access the regular bolt release on the left side Travis would have to take his left hand and depress the bolt release while using the right (shooting) hand to rack the charging handle several times. Whereas, using the mil/leo bolt release allows him to 100% control the bolt release with his trigger finger and keeps his shooting hand on the pistol grip, so that he can then just use the left hand to rack the bolt. This procedure reduces the number of steps significantly and allows him better control of the weapon.

Edited by uscmCorps

That's a negative ghost-rider. It's a prototype made up by S.D.I. (Travis Haley's company) that will probably be produced in polymer by Magpul in the future.

AND it also allows the user to lock the bolt to the rear using the trigger finger...nifty

@ MrFoxhound: that's an Insight M3, still saving up for an Insight M3X military kit.

@ Chas: 10.5" M4 CQBR barrel on it.

Thanks for the comments guys. Still waiting for a replica dark earth 553 to be made. There is a black one with trades, but no DE yet-don't want the Hurricane one. USCMCorps, I hope your arm fully recovers.