Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USCMCorps, I hope your arm fully recovers.

Thanks bro. Some days are definitely better than others. I've already told my team I'm going to be working tactical reloads into my physical therapy routine once I'm allowed to start using my arm again (which won't be for 6-8 weeks). ;)

Milla, Drake does not own Magpul.

Richard Fitzpatrick does.

Also, Corps, can you go ahead and expand upon what you said about the BAD (battery assist device?) Im not sure why he would have to remove his firing hand from the pistol grip to operate the bolt release or rack the charging handle. All of the motions, minus potentially having to clear a stove piped case would involve the reaction side hand which is the hand that operates the charging handle and bolt release.

Also, i believe Chris is using T1's now. Both Chris and Travis seemed to be really pleased with the performance of those optics and what they said about them really made sense.

Edited by Magsz

I've heard this too. Pat Rogers also is anti EOTech now.

LOTS of people are anti eotech. The only reason why eotechs are as popular as they are is because L3 dumped a trillion gajillion dollars into advertising. Eotechs are by and large crappy sights. The reticle is "OK" at best but nothing spectacular. I believe its fantastic at 5-7 yards and under but beyond that the aimpoint is far superior.

Also, i dont care how "fast" the doughnut of death may be. Its NOT precise. Id much rather take a smaller dot over a circle any day of the week for a precise shot.

Putting all of that aside, the real issue is that Eotechs are unreliable. Unfortunately, there are no official statistics to support this but anyone that has attending carbine classes knows that eotechs fail a whole hell of a lot more than Aimpoints do. I also laugh at the guys that rush out to get fresh AA's or CR123A's for their eotechs before the class starts. I assume you're going to push fresh batteries into your eotech before an active shooter engagement? :rolleyes:

Travis Haley said it best. "The last thing anyone needs to worry about is turning their optic on when they need it."

I leave all of my aimpoints on my rifles permanently turned on. They're never turned off and i change the batteries once a year on my birthday just to be safe.

Edited by Magsz
I leave all of my aimpoints on my rifles permanently turned on. They're never turned off and i change the batteries once a year on my birthday just to be safe.

What's the normal battery life for Aimpoints? I have an EOTech 512, and I have to say, I wish I bought an Aimpoint or ACOG. The "holographic projection" doesn't help at all.

Coming from Iraq our SAW gunners had EOtech 552s on their weapons (dont ask why there was eotechs on them) but my guys never had a problem with them dying after short periods of use. I dont know what you mean by unreliable but shooting 200 rounds in less than a minute out of the barrel with the optics to yield no issues with them at all on all of ours, i dont know maybe this is a rare case, but my real world experience with them is that they are rock solid.

Now i will say the ACOG is a superior optic, and the price tags state that, they are phenomenal sights that are built like a tank.

Edited by Milla
Also, Corps, can you go ahead and expand upon what you said about the BAD (battery assist device?) Im not sure why he would have to remove his firing hand from the pistol grip to operate the bolt release or rack the charging handle. All of the motions, minus potentially having to clear a stove piped case would involve the reaction side hand which is the hand that operates the charging handle and bolt release.

He was talking about a double feed. Basically, he was saying that he wanted constant control over whether or not the bolt stop was engaged. Without the bolt stop control readily available at his trigger finger, he'd have to use one of his hands (typically support hand) solely to engage/disengage the bolt stop while the other hand (typically shooting hand) comes off the pistol grip to rack the charging handle (which is exactly what Chris Costa simulated as his SR-16 didn't feature a ambi-bolt release (time code ~59 minutes into the video)). Right after that (~60 minutes into the video), Travis showed how using the BAD kept his shooting hand constantly on the pistol grip and he only had to move his support hand to rack, rack, rack. The idea being that he keeps constant fire control of his rifle while correcting a double feed and (in his words) "taking out 3 steps from the manual of arms."

LOTS of people are anti eotech. The only reason why eotechs are as popular as they are is because L3 dumped a trillion gajillion dollars into advertising. Eotechs are by and large crappy sights. The reticle is "OK" at best but nothing spectacular. I believe its fantastic at 5-7 yards and under but beyond that the aimpoint is far superior.

Also, i dont care how "fast" the doughnut of death may be. Its NOT precise. Id much rather take a smaller dot over a circle any day of the week for a precise shot.

Putting all of that aside, the real issue is that Eotechs are unreliable. Unfortunately, there are no official statistics to support this but anyone that has attending carbine classes knows that eotechs fail a whole hell of a lot more than Aimpoints do. I also laugh at the guys that rush out to get fresh AA's or CR123A's for their eotechs before the class starts. I assume you're going to push fresh batteries into your eotech before an active shooter engagement? :rolleyes:

Travis Haley said it best. "The last thing anyone needs to worry about is turning their optic on when they need it."

I've never had any problems with my 511. Even with the front glass broken. Still true as can be. Only after about three months of heavy use, my N-cell batteries are starting to die. Since the batteries were failing, I borrowed my friends AP M3 and noticed a big difference. The tube blocked out more of my FOV than my 511. I'm not saying the Aimpoint is horrible, rather, I'd like to have one. But it's not a 'replacement' for the EOtech. At least in my opinion.

Eh, I own a 552, and I put a lithium battery in mine and although I don't leave it on all the time, I've had those same batteries in it for about a year...

But if i had the chance (I can't possibly hoard that much, I'm only 15 :( ) I'd jump at the chance to own either a trijicon accupoint(1.5-4) on a larue mount or a USMC ACOG on the larue mount.... Mmm... tasty.. but alas, they both cost around the rang of $1000 USD, and that is a bit much even for me....

Edited by Vercingetorix

Yeah the ACOG is awesome, even the standard mount works well. I mean i would totally get one for my real AR-15 but in most real world situations at home you're not shooting over 50 yards and most ranges dont go over 100 yards so its pretty pointless for myself. I might want to get an Aimpoint to replace my EOtech 552, but i'm not sure.

Yeah the ACOG is awesome, even the standard mount works well. I mean i would totally get one for my real AR-15 but in most real world situations at home you're not shooting over 50 yards and most ranges dont go over 100 yards so its pretty pointless for myself. I might want to get an Aimpoint to replace my EOtech 552, but i'm not sure.

I want to try one out, maybe go to a R-S shooting range and try both on a rental or something..... If the aimpoint really is so much better, then i guess I'd make the switch.... The COMPM4 always appealed to me :D

Aimpoints FTW! The M4, M3 in 2 MOA and the T1 are top-notch! ACOGs are good...but my buddy tells me they have bad eye relief (he sold his the first week he had it, USMC standard issue). The Accupoint is a better choice for real world shooting (on 1.5 mag its good for quick acquisition). And NOT shooting over 50yrds with an AR?!! are you crazy? Youd shoot over 50yrds in a lot of situations. And i dont know about you...but here in socal we have a nice 1000yrd range lol

I prefer the reticule size of my 4MOA M3 over my buddy's 2MOA M3L. It's a personal choice. But for airsoft, I've been very satisfied with my various RS EOTechs (551, 552, & 553). Perhaps for RS shooting, I'd get more accuracy out of a simple 2 MOA dot, but for the ranges we play in airsoft, EOTech's are pretty damn good.

The weird thing I noticed about my RS T-1, is that even though it's supposed to be a 4MOA dot, it feels closer to a 2MOA. I've heard some refer to it as a 3MOA.

For a truly small RDS with an AWESOME eye relief and quick reticule acquisition, I recommend the Burris FastFire or the Pride Fowler. They're pretty awesome and cheaper than the Micros.

I prefer the reticule size of my 4MOA M3 over my buddy's 2MOA M3L. It's a personal choice. But for airsoft, I've been very satisfied with my various RS EOTechs (551, 552, & 553). Perhaps for RS shooting, I'd get more accuracy out of a simple 2 MOA dot, but for the ranges we play in airsoft, EOTech's are pretty damn good.

The weird thing I noticed about my RS T-1, is that even though it's supposed to be a 4MOA dot, it feels closer to a 2MOA. I've heard some refer to it as a 3MOA.

For a truly small RDS with an AWESOME eye relief and quick reticule acquisition, I recommend the Burris FastFire or the Pride Fowler. They're pretty awesome and cheaper than the Micros.

Its weird, for Airsoft, i dont mind my eotechs. None of the downsides that i listed above really apply. There's no recoil and i DO have the luxury of changing batteries as often as i want. The reticle is also not that bad because i dont really care about precision in airsoft. A hit, is a hit and if i have to snapshoot some guy and hit him in the foot merely because i placed the doughnut somewhere on his body thats all i care about lol. The only thing that annoys me about the eotech is that ive been so spoiled by the aimpoint. Its so incredibly light. After 10 hours on the range with a 16 inch barreled MRP you're cursing every extra ounce on the rifle. The eotech literally feels like a brick shoe at that point.

The dot on my T-1 is fairly large, seems like a 4 MOA to me but ive got to say, ive seen cleaner dots on some of the replica aimpoints that come my way. The dots on my T-1's are almost star shaped which is a little disappointing.

The dot on my T-1 is fairly large, seems like a 4 MOA to me but ive got to say, ive seen cleaner dots on some of the replica aimpoints that come my way. The dots on my T-1's are almost star shaped which is a little disappointing.

than again im sure the airsoft aimpoints wont hold a bzo :P

Aimpoints FTW! The M4, M3 in 2 MOA and the T1 are top-notch! ACOGs are good...but my buddy tells me they have bad eye relief (he sold his the first week he had it, USMC standard issue). The Accupoint is a better choice for real world shooting (on 1.5 mag its good for quick acquisition). And NOT shooting over 50yrds with an AR?!! are you crazy? Youd shoot over 50yrds in a lot of situations. And i dont know about you...but here in socal we have a nice 1000yrd range lol

The ACOG eye relief does take some getting use to, i had mine mounted as far back as possible on the top rail and it worked perfectly. A really great sight.

Thats why i said many ranges aren't over 100 yards, i didnt say there wasn't any here.

And no in most situations on the home front for home defense, as a civilian who is protecting your house you will not shoot more than 50 yards. Not unless you live on something like 10+ acres of land ;). As a contractor or military yes you will often shoot more than 50 yards, which is why the ACOG is a phenomenal sight.

Edited by Milla

I'm really glad you brought that up. I noticed that the reticule on my RS T-1 is pretty star shaped too. I also notice a slight glare around the periphery of the lens. Don't know if you noticed that too. I had wanted to ask you that. Mine was done through a trade on AR15.com, so I wasn't sure if I just got given a bum T-1 or if that's how they generally are?

than again im sure the airsoft aimpoints wont hold a bzo :P

No, definitely not. The Airsoft leds are also not as bright. They might be more "defined" but they certainly arent as brilliant as the real thing.

Corps: Mine only "starbursts" when its turned up very high. I normally operate with the optic on the 7 or 8 setting. I rarely EVER go above that. If im in a semi well lit room indoors, on the 8 setting i can see a bit of glare on the outside edges of the optic. The second i turn the dial down to a lower setting it goes away. Both of my AP micro's were bought brand new and both perform the same way so i wouldnt worry about it. The only time i ever was bothered by it was during a night shoot at a carbine class. We broke for dinner, came back, i shouldered the rifle to run a drill and was practically blinded by the sight lol.

Hispeed, just my opinion but i would take a red dot and a 3x magnifier over the acog simply because i believe that magnification is really only good for identifying targets, not necessarily shooting them. Its not that hard to get combat effective hits with a red dot out to 300-400 or so yards. Then again, the graduated reticle of the ACOG sure is NICE since its got the built in bullet drop compensator reticle (i believe).

Im not sure. Any guys out there that have actually shot at real moving targets care to comment? :D

Edited by Magsz

The bullet drop compensator on the ACOG is really really awesome, at Quantico we shot the unknown distance course, from 50 yards out to 600 yards and everyone (including myself) was dinging the targets fast and accurate using the bullet drop compensator.

Edited by Milla