Bad Oil

renegadecow

With the nearby airsoft store out of the small, white cans of silicon oil spray, I decided to give the reported el-cheapo grande sprays found in automotive hardwares a try. What I found was Mr McKenic silicon spray and it was both indeed cheap and large (400ml). I tried it first on a thin polyethylene glove thinking that should any solvent eat plastic it should start with the shortest polymer chains first. The test passed so I proceeded to apply the spray liberally on my Detonics. I also put some in my old P14.45. Testing both after lubing, the Detonics was ok but the piston o-ring of the ParaOrd broke into 3 peices. At first I thought its because the gun was old, but then I noticed that it ate away at the silver finish I gave it months ago. Worried that my other .45 would die next, I tested the newly bought oil further: On a china tactical light, a KJW loading nozzle, a Bell M10 revolver, a Well MP7, and a TM Uzi.

The findings were: it ate the tactical light, making the plastic all gummy; the loading nozzle was completely unharmed; discoloration and mild softness observed on the Bell; slight deformation on the Well; discoloration on the Uzi. Worries :(

Its been maybe a couple or so hours since I lubed my Detonics so I proceeded in disassembling it completely for cleaning. Although I didn't find any damage to the plastic parts whatsoever (except a slight blemish, but not sure if the oil caused it) I dare not risk prolonged exposure and have the gun melt in my hands in the field. So, be WARNED of this brand of silicon oil. Some online retailers even advertise this as having more silicon content than other oil sprays and safe to use on plastics and rubber. What isn't stated is if contains any petroleum based solvents like acetone or whatnot which is present in some silicon oils as additives. Just because it says silicon doesn't mean you can use it outright. Thanks to the numerous of "cubers" (rubiks cube geeks) who have suggested using this particular brand on forums as being safe on plastic. Whats safe to your cube ain't good enough for my Combat Master. <_<

Mr McKenic silicon spray

100_0682.jpg

Bucket of Detonics

100_0683.jpg

Tactical light (damage on inside of cover), loading nozzle, revolver (damage on side panel)

100_0688.jpg

BTW, I'm not saying this product doesn't lubricate. It did wonders to my dads rowing machine. Just don't be using it on plastics.

edit: I also tried spraying some on a separate area, wait for any propellant left to vaporize then applied it on the Bell revolver. The same result happened; whatever eats plastic is mixed in with the silicon but not the silicon itself.

Butane gas doesn't eat plastics for goodness' sake!

I'd be inclined to blame the texts "anti-rust protection" and "safe on all metal surfaces". If you buy gas station silicone, make sure it says on the bottle it's made for plastics and rubbers.

-Sale

Yup. I use "3in1 Proffessional Silicone Spray Lubricant". It's perfectly safe and works well, cheap as chips and doesn't claim to be anti-rust or anything other than 100% pure silicone.

Yup, that's what I use, even has a nice sweet smell to it.

I'd be put off by the Fast-Dry label on that can in the pic, fast drying probably means it contains acetone or some other type of alcohol to help it evaporate

As I've said before, aerosol silicone polish is your best bet.

The bottom line is that it's designed for spraying on all sorts of PLASTIC things such as car interiors so you can be 100% certain it's not going to damage your gun parts.

The only caveat I would offer is that you test how slippery the spray is first.

I usually buy silicone polish from Halfords but I once saw a huge can in Asda for about 80p.

Upon trying it (spraying it on my car dashboard) I found that it left a sort sticky residue. Later on I got better results by wafting it over large areas rather than spraying it from short range.

I still wouldn't want to use something like that on an airsoft gun where it might leave a sticky residue.

As I say, the Cockpit Shine stuff I buy from Halfords has always been perfect though.

Another option for people in the UK is this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20284

100% pure silicone oil, the manufacturer and distributers advertise it for use on rubber seals on high end MTB suspension forks, reasonable price and free postage from there too, once my cans of oil run out i'll be getting some for myself.

Always been wary of the 3-in-1 silicone oil, i've yet to find anywhere that says its 100% silicone and on the cans we have at hellfrauds it doesn't mention the % silicone content which has put me off buying that in the past.

...the manufacturer and distributers advertise it for use on rubber seals on high end MTB suspension forks...

Uhuh.

That IS the key thing. Regardless of where you get your silicone "stuff", if it's designed for a job to do with rubber or plastic you know you're golden.

Does it say o-ring safe on the label?

Nope. But some sites that sell it say they are safe on rubber.

And its definitely not the propellant thats corrosive. After letting some of the oil waft for about 10min in an open beaker, I stuck a lighter near it and guess what; it burns. <_<

Archived