4600 Mah battery in ARMY L85 (SA80)

Spacemonkey

The supplied battery is an 8.4v 1800mah 4/5SC size but I was curious as to what else would squeeze in. I didn;t want any more than 8.4v due to reliability issues but did want to guarantee never running out of juice..

So, I bought one of these bruisers:

250_7vp4600sc-h-01.jpg

8.4V 4600mAh SC NiMH Battery Stick Pack. (3x2 + 1)

Capacity: 4,600mAh Measured at 920mA (0.2C)>4,350mAh Measured at 30A

Weight: 480g

Max Discharge Current: 35,000mA (35 Amps!)

and then chopped it up. To fit in the space of the foregrip, the black cover on the end had to be removed along with the plastic wrap around the rest of the battery. The wires were then insulated on the ends and brought forward. The end cell was removed and wires soldered on so that it could sit in the front of the grip. It must sit this way as pictured or the halves will not shut. The wires are a nightmare to solder onto the cells though.. is there an easier way to do that?

Picture379.jpg

Picture381.jpg

Anyhow, all fit back together snugly and fires much better. In single shot there is no hint of jamming and quick successive shots are possible. Normally there is quite a wait until the piston is cocked before you can release the trigger, but not so now. Full auto is definitely a higher rate of fire, despite the same voltage. Conclusions are that either the old batteries are rubbish (highly possible as charge doesn't last quite all day with things turning quite sluggish after about 600 rounds) or new one vastly superior. Either way, it is a great improvement. Now to see if it strips pistons.. :D

th_Picture382.jpg

Apex- I ordered from them in the hope that they would mod the battery but they didn't. Bar stewards..

Chownsy- no mods at all to the stock, but all the wrapping stripped from the battery including the insulating end cap. Tight fit but closes fine.

Archived