KWA M4 + G&P Externals?

I'm looking to buy a new, sexy KWA M4. In this, I will most likely (most definitely) rape the gun with new goodies. I've heard there's some modification needed, but currently, I plan on dropping it in a G&P Marine Body, slapping either a standard M4 stock or a crane stock, installing an RAS/RIS (WITH PROPER DELTA RINGS! *cough* G&P *cough*). There's gonna be all sorts of goodies I want to slap on this baby. Since this is going to be my first *real* AEG, and I have no experience with one, I'd like to know what a practical approach would be. I have no clue what a gearbox layout looks like, what buckings are etc, how to put in a barrel, spring, all those sexy things. Any ideas? Also, I'd like to know what upgrades in particular, that I should get. Personally, I'd like to learn towards higher end items, like the ones listed below.

G&P M4 RAS Front Set

G&P CQBR RAS Front Set

G&P M4A1 6 Position Sliding Buttstock

I'm torn between two beauties with the front sets. I'm 13, 5'8", and 160lbs. I would think a CQBR front set would be more manageable, but both are just, ugh. I'm a bit short on cash, and could put at most, $700 over six months. Also, what would be the way to go with RAS's, free floating or not? I don't think it'll be an issue though, as the KWA barrel setup is made not to wobble. I'm pretty confused, and need some guidance.

PS: Trades ARE a must, I know that the G&P doesn't have KAC trades, but so far, it looks to be the number one contender. Can anyone find something of the sort with those trades?

Well, the G&P M4A1 Marine has been becoming more and more unavailable, and I believe that a KWA would be a good stock gun. Since I don't have much knowledge on internal upgrades, I think that a G&P would be too challenging for me. Many people say that it's a good move to install a new hop, bucking and barrel. Already too technical for me, as I have close to no clue how to go about doing so, where these parts are located, and in short, I think the KWA is just a better stock option to operate with. Other than externals, I'm not going to be upgrading this gun a lot, maybe some rewiring, but ya never know.

well the hop up, bucking, and barrel are extremely easy to replace. KWA does have good internals for the price and G&P has some pretty BAMF metal bodies so i say go for it. and airsmithing is something you really have to learn on your own, since there isnt much info to go by besides advice on forums and a gearbox animation on mechbox.com

Because KWA have amazing internals, and G&P have some deeply questionable internals? I speak from experience.

I could fire right back... Having worked on both, the KWAs are overpriced clones with weird design choices?

From a purely economical stand point, the G&P wins, hands down. The metal is also a higher quality (try cutting it, you'll see exactly what I mean).

For stock guns the kwa's are very good, i have had the g36 and currently have the m4, the m4 has had some real field testing now and has been great. Everything has been solid and reliable. I'm not too sure how compatible kwa gearbox shells are with other metal body's and i've noticed they have used a unique barrel length (393mm). I'm currently in the process of upgrading certain parts of my m4 (cylinder, piston head, cylinder head, hop rubber, spring and motor) I'm hoping to increase range with an fps of around 350. To be honest i would like a metal body with trades like the g&p body's do, the little design ideas kwa have used in the m4 have recently had me looking at other brands of armalites which are more compatible with after market parts. :)

If you're going to drop $700 in G&P external upgrades on the gun you might as well purchase a nice G&P custom from WGC or through a US store like Airsoft Advantage (which will let you keep the trades) and save several hundred dollars.

I've owned a G&P before and its internals aren't that bad. Mine was from 2006 as well -- before G&P improved their guns with high-torque motors and better internals. Getting a G&P and some spare parts for replacement is a much cheaper way to go. M4 external parts are also more finicky than internal upgrades - for example, it's way harder to fit a third-party metal body than upgrade an existing gun's internals. Go with G&P as your base to ensure maximum compatibility of parts. In time you'll pick up mechbox skills.

Since you're 13 and don't seem to own many airsoft guns, I just want to pass on some stuff I've learned in my collective years of airsofting. First, light guns are way better than heavy guns. Even though I mostly use armalite variants, RISed M4s (especially from G&P) are heavy. If you have a PEQ unit, they're front-heavy and incredibly hard to wield when compared to plastic-bodied G36s. That in turn slows you down and affects your aiming, especially if you're young. Second, trademarks or not don't really matter in the long run. When you're shooting BBs downrange at some other guy, having Colt markings or not won't help. It all comes down to quality internals and how well your gun can throw those pellets.

Go out there and have as much fun as you can. Worry about all fancy externals later.

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to revive this thread a bit, but I've got my mind set on the G&P Metal Body, paired with the KWA KM4A1. My reasoning for this is that since I'm not that technically oriented with AEG's, and I would think that having a KWA would be a good choice to start with, as I wouldn't need to pay much attention to the internals, and I don't have to compromise anything. Now, I'm not quite sure how G&P's rank with KWA's, but I basically want something that's easy to perform maintenance on, and something that has rock solid externals. Basically, here's what I want.

-Reliable M4, close to no maintenance required.

-Quality internals

-Wide range of upgrade compatibility

-Marine and Knight's Armament trades

I have not heard anything as to a confirmed compatibility between the KWA M4 and a G&P Metal Body, which is actually why I'm starting to lean towards a G&P. Based on my research, the KWA is good, but doesn't accept many aftermarket parts. On the contrary, the G&P accepts literally every M4 upgrade, but I don't have experience applying internal upgrades, and really, nor do I have any applying anything to an M4. Since this is going to be my first REAL AEG, I want to have high quality parts so the gun doesn't run into any issues.

Right now, I have two possible setups:

One:

-G&P M4A1 Marine

-G&P M4 RAS Front Set

-King Arms Rail Covers

-King Arms High Caps (I've heard of some compatibility issues with G&P, can anyone explain?

-EOTech or ACOG replica

-(Possibly)Crane Stock

-(Possibly)PEQ2

Two:

-KWA KM4A1

-G&P Marine Body

-G&P M4 RAS Front Set

-King Arms Rail Covers

-King Arms High Caps

-EOTech or ACOG replica

-(Possibly)Crane Stock

-(Possibly)PEQ2

Any opinions?

Because KWA have amazing internals, and G&P have some deeply questionable internals? I speak from experience.

:huh: I dont know, the G&P Internals are a heck of alot better than any other gun I've opened up. (Granted I havent opened up a KWA yet so thats a little bias) My G&P M16 has two parts in the gearbox that are not G&P... Spring (Guarder SP100) and a CA Sector gear to improve reliability. In conjunction with a King Arms hop up chamber, KM 6.04 tightbore and Guarder clear hop up bucking it shoots 405fps with .20's. (I'm not lieing to you, SP100 shooting 405 fps with .20's)

Over looking G&P's Sector Gear with mahoosive tappet plate nub, the rest of the internals are spot on perfect. And they have to be in order to achieve something like the above. So over looking the Sector Gear of Doom what parts are questionable? (It's not that the Sector gear isnt well made, it is, it just compromises reliability, alot)

To Theif Lord: All airsoft guns will require individual modifications to everything. The G&P body was meant as a direct drop in replacement for a TM V2 gearbox however with the number of changes to gearbox tolerances and specifications to fix various poorly designed aspects it may require slight to heavy modification to fit properly. I dont think anyone here can give you a 100% on compatability because of how unique every part is in Airsoft. Even internals are hit or miss on certain guns. So if you want to go through with this (which I dont recommend) then be prepared to do some work as NOTHING in airsoft is just a direct drop in replacement.

...doesn't WGC destroy trades when shipping to the US, thus completely defeating the purpose of ordering from them?

Yes, but with a company such as Airsoft Advantage, they will cover* trademarks that would be considered temporary (in other words, WGC will put griptape over trades)

Archived