Looking for SAAV info

Punkypink

Hi everyone. I'm getting a SAAV vest for my woodlands loadout. I'd like to hear from people who've used one before or who own one about the vest.

The biggest question I have is, is there any pouch on the vest that could double up for a pistol like the HK .45 USP? I'm trying to avoid having to buy another pistol holster if I have to, cause my finances are stretching thin...

How many AUG or similiar sized mags will it hold? Airsoftscotland says 10 M-16 sized mags, I reckon AUG mags are similiar to M-16 sized mags?

How is the storage capacity like? Airsoftscotland says:

"More pockets than a thing with an awful lot of pockets............and that's before you start stuffing the utility pockets on either side or the double pocket on the back"

Heh, how many pockets is "a thing with an awful lot of pockets"? And the pocket at the back looks like it could take a hydration bag? If it does, what sized hydration bag could fit in there comfortably?

Any other details or info that anyone could provide would be kindly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Emily

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

might be able to hold one in one of the utility pouches, although it wouldnt be much of a holster to be fair.

Its got enough pockets to hold a lot of kit, about 10 M4 mags, water bottle, grenades etc etc.

as for the hydration pack, probs a 3l. Easily fit my 1l. All i know if i was able to put 3 58 pat ponchos in it, and they are hardly space concious.

If you want a vest with pockets on the cheap, its a good one to go for.

Oh - a word on actually using it. Compared to my TAS recon vest, it was not pleasent to go prone in, but if you intend to use it in woodland (where im guessing going prone dosen't happen much - wouldnt know, dont play woodland) you should be fine.

thanks Kousnik, esp for mentioning the proning bit. i hadn't thought of that actually, and i know that woodlands should have a fair bit of proning... at least i had to prone a lot when i was in the army and the terrain we were in was mostly southeast asian jungles.

what colour is yrs? and is there any way to attach stuff like viper's ambidextrous pistol pouch?

hmm, I did a search with tags like 'SAAV' and 'South African Assault Vest' etc. nothing specific enough for me, certainly not within the 1st 3 pages of te search results.

Mr Eagle: what would be the cheaper versions? Seems everyone's selling Viper ones nowadays, I guess its viper anyway because they're all really similiarly priced.

I have a Miltec SAAV and I plan on ditching it soon. Why?

Dump pouches on the sides. They drive me mad - getting in the way all the time, making the vest twice as wide when you least need it and generally being useless. Also, assload of mag pouches, as attractive it seems, is actually superfluous. The one pouch you could try and use as a holster for a M9-sized handgun isn't exactly the best thing to use - start moving and the gun will wiggle and then start falling out even with the flap securely closed.

Seriously, try something else, like SWAT vest (the one with stuffed collar and snap-on panels) instead. Or UTG stuff.

Yeah, i mean, I have to agree with everything said (although the pistol wouldnt fall out, but it would wiggle about).

cheap makes include viper and... well i dont know who else :/

Mine was flecktarn (i no longer have it).

I dont think there is anywhere to mount any more kit, but surely that holster would attach to a belt?

I dont know how new you are to the game, i mean the viper saav is good kit for a starter, but compared to more 'reputable' companies, its leagues behind. But dont get the impression its going to fall apart the first time you use it, its well made but the material just isnt perticularly nice.

I dont know why you chose the saav, probs beacuse you like the look of it, so im not going to try and convince you to chose anything over it. All i will say is that viper kit looks and feels cheap, proberbly not a major issue to a speedballer but if you are 'gear concious', i would stay well away from anything viper branded (i only bought mine because i was working on a v cheap flecktarn loadout and couldnt afford actual german webbing - not beacuse it was first choice).

The OnPatrol saav looks nice and for a reasonable price. Failing that you could may want to look into some MOLLE gear, ebaybanned.com does a vest and about 5 pouches for about £60 shipped. Dispite it being chinese made its not too bad and may be more appropirate for your environment; Its compact, the right ammount of the right type of pouches and in a hobby where you get what you pay for, it might not be the best but its proberbly better than the viper stuff. Plus you can get a molle holster on ebay for about a £10 which would attach to the vest, or you can stick with a drop leg holster.

Hi Emily,

A friend of mine had a SAAV and AUG and iirc he could get 3-4 mags in each side. As for the USP pouch, not a clue I'm afraid. He used a G19 and stuck it in one of those pouches on the chest/shoulder bits.

The pouch on the back is huge and you wouldn't have any trouble getting a 3l bladder in there.

*edit in reply to Kousnik*

I cant believebeleive I'm going to say this but viper kit has come a long way in the last few years. I had a look at a new viper SAAV last week and its head and shoulders aboSAAV's SAAV's of a few years back and I was actually going to buy one (but they didnt have black at the time). A few yearswouldn'twouldnt have touched Viper kit with a *suitcasey* stick but now it isconsideringidering if your on a budget.

Also Emily if your ever at proteus and need a USP holster then your free to borrow my drop leg if you like.

thanks howitzer! The link's much appreciated. If the original is only 10 quid more, i dont mind getting it. Wonder if they have em in OD.

Mike: I might be wrong but side pouches and the resulting width isnt that big a problem in woodland games? I already have a HK police vest for CQB. the SAAV i'm thinking of getting is the Viper one, which seems to be a new reworking of the SAAV from Viper.

Anyone has experience with the viper ones? where are the mag pouches located? side or front?

Hi Emily,

A friend of mine had a SAAV and AUG and iirc he could get 3-4 mags in each side. As for the USP pouch, not a clue I'm afraid. He used a G19 and stuck it in one of those pouches on the chest/shoulder bits.

The pouch on the back is huge and you wouldn't have any trouble getting a 3l bladder in there.

*edit in reply to Kousnik*

I cant believebeleive I'm going to say this but viper kit has come a long way in the last few years. I had a look at a new viper SAAV last week and its head and shoulders aboSAAV's SAAV's of a few years back and I was actually going to buy one (but they didnt have black at the time). A few yearswouldn'twouldnt have touched Viper kit with a *suitcasey* stick but now it isconsideringidering if your on a budget.

Also Emily if your ever at proteus and need a USP holster then your free to borrow my drop leg if you like.

Hey Evansy! I remember meeting u at Proteus back in may :D

3 or 4 mags wouldnt be a problem, im getting high caps for the AUG anyways. I met someone with a P90 yest and had 6 hi-caps on him, and I have no idea how anyone uses that much ammo per round. It was CQB!

Anyways yea, my experiences with viper stuff is pretty positive. As regards the USP, I actually have a black Viper drop leg for it. Thing is, I think I might like something thats vest mounted for Woodland games since I would probably be not needing it, just nice to have something as a backup. Drop legs can get in the way now n then, and would be nice not to hve something pulling my belt down (unless its some cute girl doing that ^^)

Mike: I might be wrong but side pouches and the resulting width isnt that big a problem in woodland games? I already have a HK police vest for CQB. the SAAV i'm thinking of getting is the Viper one, which seems to be a new reworking of the SAAV from Viper.
Actually, I had most trouble with those pesky pouches while moving through trenches at a woodland skirmish. Which, of course, doesn't mean that the vest is less of a POS in CQB.

Most of the Mag pouches are on the front. There's a mag pouch (looks like a double) at the front of each side pocket too.

I brought one from ecamo.co.uk and fitted one of there 2l bladders which fits in nice (very good service and very quick!). On the first one I brought one of the shoulder webbing straps broke as it looked like duff stitching so I sent it back and got another one as a replacement - the new one came in different packaging and 2 skirmishes latter and the webbing has been fine.

At times it does feel a little 'bulky' but it can carry a decent amount and one day I'll know it will be useful - the way I view it, £30 for lots of pockets and a bladder pocket really is good value and worth a shot.

The OnPatrol saav looks nice and for a reasonable price. Failing that you could may want to look into some MOLLE gear, ebaybanned.com does a vest and about 5 pouches for about £60 shipped. Dispite it being chinese made its not too bad and may be more appropirate for your environment; Its compact, the right ammount of the right type of pouches and in a hobby where you get what you pay for, it might not be the best but its proberbly better than the viper stuff. Plus you can get a molle holster on ebay for about a £10 which would attach to the vest, or you can stick with a drop leg holster.

Thanks for the link! I'll look it up, but I must say I prefer to buy in UK simply because I don't wish having to deal with the hassle of dealing with customs.

Already have a drop leg, thinking of getting something that goes right on the belt.

I've not started airsofting too long, but so far I'm doing 2 sessions a week and the Viper stuff's holding up well, altho one of the elbow pads had cloth rip where the rivet that holds the pad down to the cloth. Then again, cuz im so tiny im using them elbow pads as knee pads and they take a lot more wear and tear cuz i kneel on rough surfaces a lot.

Actually, I had most trouble with those pesky pouches while moving through trenches at a woodland skirmish. Which, of course, doesn't mean that the vest is less of a POS in CQB.

Ah trenches. Hmm... the bit of woodland i've done so far entails fighting thru undergrowth, trees, and the odd clearing etc.

I dare say that it'd be more of a bother in CQB. I've been to Werkz & Epsom and some places can be a tight squeeze, esp at Epsom.

Most of the Mag pouches are on the front. There's a mag pouch (looks like a double) at the front of each side pocket too.

I brought one from ecamo.co.uk and fitted one of there 2l bladders which fits in nice (very good service and very quick!). On the first one I brought one of the shoulder webbing straps broke as it looked like duff stitching so I sent it back and got another one as a replacement - the new one came in different packaging and 2 skirmishes latter and the webbing has been fine.

Thanks for the info! Did u, by any chance, get the Viper one too?

I'm not a fan of copy SAAVs and other things under different names.

I don't particularly have anything against viper, but their workmanship isn't the best I've seen.

I had many problems with my SAAV. The straps required tape to hold them in one place for any length of time. The mag pouches were placed akwardly, so that while you might be able to hold 10 M4 mags, theres no way you'd be able to get to at least 4 of them quickly. Not much luck with anything bigger either - the pouches are tight on M4 mags and you'll only be able to carry half as many or less of G36/G3/M14/anything thicker or longer or both.

The side pouches get in the way when doing, well, pretty much anything. The back pouch, while useful for a hydro carrier is certainly not low profile and I found it always got in the way of slinging my rifle.

It wasn't very comfortable either.

That is, of course, just my opinion. Hope it helps though.

I'm not a fan of copy SAAVs and other things under different names.

I don't particularly have anything against viper, but their workmanship isn't the best I've seen.

I had many problems with my SAAV. The straps required tape to hold them in one place for any length of time. The mag pouches were placed akwardly, so that while you might be able to hold 10 M4 mags, theres no way you'd be able to get to at least 4 of them quickly. Not much luck with anything bigger either - the pouches are tight on M4 mags and you'll only be able to carry half as many or less of G36/G3/M14/anything thicker or longer or both.

The side pouches get in the way when doing, well, pretty much anything. The back pouch, while useful for a hydro carrier is certainly not low profile and I found it always got in the way of slinging my rifle.

It wasn't very comfortable either.

That is, of course, just my opinion. Hope it helps though.

Yes it helps. I would want to know all pros and cons before deciding on a purchase =)

I also have a G36, and am thinking of getting a G3 so that bit of info is certainly useful

Hey Evansy! I remember meeting u at Proteus back in may :D

3 or 4 mags wouldnt be a problem, im getting high caps for the AUG anyways. I met someone with a P90 yest and had 6 hi-caps on him, and I have no idea how anyone uses that much ammo per round. It was CQB!

Anyways yea, my experiences with viper stuff is pretty positive. As regards the USP, I actually have a black Viper drop leg for it. Thing is, I think I might like something thats vest mounted for Woodland games since I would probably be not needing it, just nice to have something as a backup. Drop legs can get in the way now n then, and would be nice not to hve something pulling my belt down (unless its some cute girl doing that ^^)

If you dont want it pulling your trousers down dont wear it on your trouser belt :P

I know exactly how someone uses 6 hicaps I once used over 6000 rounds in one day at the old SYA Loxley site. I managed to drain a 2000mah large and had to bodge a mini into my M14.

Have you thort about getting a serpa clone for a belt/vest mounted holster? There pretty secure and come with loads of mounting options. I've got one on its way from HK now so if you want I'll let you know how it is after I've tested it.

Thanks for the link! I'll look it up, but I must say I prefer to buy in UK simply because I don't wish having to deal with the hassle of dealing with customs.

Already have a drop leg, thinking of getting something that goes right on the belt.

I've not started airsofting too long, but so far I'm doing 2 sessions a week and the Viper stuff's holding up well, altho one of the elbow pads had cloth rip where the rivet that holds the pad down to the cloth. Then again, cuz im so tiny im using them elbow pads as knee pads and they take a lot more wear and tear cuz i kneel on rough surfaces a lot.

I've got the same problem of cloth ripping on my knee pads and there Hatch ones that are supposed to be pretty tuff stuff. I just dont bother with them anymore as I only used them for Urban/CQB. Now I just try and avoid kneeling on the roads at Proteus and just put up with carpet burn coming thru my jeans when I go sliding about at the new SYA:CQB place.

The original M83 SADF vest is an amazing bit of kit. Great quality and if worn properly (high up) it doesn't intefere with crouching etc. Prone is ok if you wear it a bit open at the front. Certainly no worse than most other vests or chest rigs. A pistol could fit in the pouch in the front lower left side quite nicely- Glock 18Cs do.

The side pouches are not dump pouches as most people seem to think, but designed to take the SADF 2 litre rectangular water bottles- or in reality most took one bottle and the other pouch carried 7.62 link for the MG. The rear pouches are for rations at the bottom and more 7.62 link in the top one- the link comes out of the flap, but as other say - it works great for a water bladder. If you do get one, then change the clips on the big side pouches to regular Fastex clips as on my vests in the thread linked below- it will make the pouches much faster access and thus useful. You could even use one of these to carry the pistol.

You can easily fill it out with mags- G3s or FALs fit as well as the usual M16, but you can squeeze a few others too. Of course, they were designed for the R4 which was an SADF version of the Galil so that means that AK 74 mags fit too.

I've had the Viper ones and quality is nowhere near as good as the originals- I have about 5 of them at last count. Also worth checking out the chest rigs.

We have our own thread dedicated to Rhodesian/ South African kit here: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=132166

Have a look around..

Any more Questions, or if you want detailed pics, give me a shout.

And if that's you in your avatar- I'm in love!! ;):lol:

For something cheap to use in woodland, I'd recommend going down the local army surplus and picking up some S95 or ALICE type webbing. I know alot of people have something against webbing, but for about the same price as viper vests seem to go for, you can put together something that'll have space for all you want, and enough options to expand on later.

Could also then be combined with your CQB vest for when you need to carry even more stuff.

Punkypink as far as I know the issue vests only came in brown.Although you could dye it green like one of the members on Military photos did.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showt...3019&page=2

Thorbard has a good point the first load carrying gear I got was some very cheap pattern 58 gear from the local army store so webbing is an alternative.

Em,

I've just noticed your post in the flecktarn picture thread.

Why dont you get a set of flecktarn webbing? for £30 you could get the basic 5 piece set from flcktarn.co.uk along with two G3 mag pouches which should hold 2 AUG, 2 G36 or 3 M4 each and you'll be able to stick a bladder in the GP pouch.

The standard sidearm for the german army is the USP too so matching fitted holsters shouldnt be a problem.

Archived