Right Hook Fabrication Rifles

shooter1125

I mentioned in the pictures thread that I'd post a little review of my new Mantis once I got it. Well I haven't received it, though it should be arriving very soon. In the mean time, however, I did find a video on youtube that the owner put out that just makes me even more excited to get the gun. Enjoy!

Right Hook Fabrication Video

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOo, sounds good. My pick one of those up if I get a big paycheck. If you could, it would be cool to test it on CO2 as well since tat is more available for people, I would also like to know if it is a simple QD setup or wher the hose comes out. Thanks!

OOo, sounds good. My pick one of those up if I get a big paycheck. If you could, it would be cool to test it on CO2 as well since tat is more available for people, I would also like to know if it is a simple QD setup or wher the hose comes out. Thanks!

Hmmm. Not too familiar with CO2, other than I know it's adversely affected by colder temperatures, thus not ideal for consistant shooting. But I will look into it a little more and see what comes up.

As far as the QD setup, I'm no expert there either, but in my opinion, I just don't see how it could get any simpler. Tank, Regulator, hose coil with QD fittings. The hose/QD fittings pop right into the magazine of the gun, just like any other HPA setup. You might have missed it in the video, but he demonstrates the ease of swapping out a mag, which requires him to detach the line to do so.

Here's the website if you need/want more info.

Right Hook Fabrication Website

i so wish it was spring, it looks really fooking nice, how much would one of these cost?

Depends. But all the pricing info is on the site. I ordered the Mantis that's pictured in black on the site and in the video with the classic M16 grip and SOPMOD stock. That gun starts at $1500 (roughly 759 GBP) and increases from there if you should desire to customize it more to your personal tastes.

Im a bit concerned about how he mentioned the target was a little cut up... "Weve done some real steel shooting at it"...I hope that wasnt while cars were driving across the hill behind it... :o

I'm pretty sure that's a non-issue. Just because the target was set up in that location for an airsoft demo, does not mean he uses the same location to shoot real steel. He just happened to use the same cardboard.

I studied the film and found pellets took just over 1 second to reach the target, for example one is fired during 1:58 and arrives during 1:59.

Yet in my own

on the range, it takes a similar amount of time to fire the same pellets, at the same velocity to only achieve a 50m target.

This chart shows that to achieve a 300 foot (100 yard or 91m) shot you need in excess of 2 seconds flight time.

07-A-047.gif

This part of the airsoft trajectory studies, shows that 0.29g won't make the grade at 300 feet due to their light weight at 550fps.

07-A-045.gif

My own rifle shoots very nicely, but I don't see how you expect it to be able to throw the pellet much further at the same velocity and yet for them to arrive at similar times <_< . I can overhop my tanaka rifle, but it doesn't open up the range much and you loose too much consistancy.

In my film the hop was turned down (to combat the wind) and could achieve a further flatter range if I set it for dead calm conditions (like in the right hook film) but it won't fire 0.29g that far without them coming in at an incredible angle (requiring massive correction and lob shooting). I wonder if they would stick in a cardboard target at that range either, unless the power he states (in the comments) is wrong.

This shows the power would be very low at 150 feet and presumably much lower at 300 feet.

07-A-048.gif

Please note that even real fire arms firing at 800m+ have large arcs and bullets come in at far more accute angles than you may expect. Airsoft guns at ranges over 75m suffer exactly the same and make hitting a target at such ranges very hard without plenty of experience with the setup. I feel an upright 2D mansized target has actually got a much smaller target shadow than you might think, due to the pellets arcing in from above. It would probably be easier to shoot a prone target at such ranges, as his target shadow would be larger, allowing for more or less error on the judging of distance or shot to shot fps variation (which somewhere on his site is noted as within 5fps).

Either way, my typical questioning self is doubting something here. He says that the MANTIS is machined to make it better, but when looking at the second rifle, he basicly says that the mantis (original tanaka reciever) has simply had metal removed. I don't understand how that is going to make it better.

He also says that Dee's 6.01 barrels are "pretty much the most accurate thing on the market" (a rather vague statement).

I believe that 300 feet shots are capable, but am not convinced this is one of them (unless the power is turned way up).

Sorry to doubt, but it is just my nature to question everything. It's a trait that keeps me in the game. Personally, I think the basic tanaka with VSR10 conversion kit would do the job at a fraction of the price (which is what I suspect is inside these things anyway).

Good Hunting ;)

Well, then you can join any central california forums or the Mindgames forum in Florida

and ask a few players who have seen it score hits over at and over 100 yards.

Unless it is a worldwide conspericy, and I have paid off every player in both California

and Florida to vouch for my stuff??? LOFL.

How about this, stop with your BS Data on an obviusly legit video, and ask some guys who have been hit by it at or over 100 yards. Try www.fresnoairsoft.com as a start.

After that if you still decide that it is BS, you can fly to California, and prove me wrong.

I have no problem doing the pepsi challenge with my rifle, and will put $$ on it.

Since your in the UK, also feel free to Contact Paul and Jason @ Airsoft International.

They were in Florida, and watched tangos taken out by the Mantis at 100 plus yards, and seemed impressed enough to put a 2 page spread in their magaizine.......

Its not a c02 setup its a HPA, you can tell because the regulator doesn't explode when he sets the bottle down sideways while open ;)

Talked to him at length for a bit, The version without the custom receiver IMO is a KJWm700 in a fancy stock, Ive tried to drill him for info but no dice. I understand he wants to protect his investment but just listing what he's remade or modified isnt really going to endanger it.

A future version he is working on will be semi-auto and will be using a similiar gas piston setup that I tried a while back, using the pre-charged gas to cycle a piston that cycles the bolt, I might be picking up one of those if I can bed it in a stock that isnt so silly and the price is reasonable.

OK, sorry to have doubted your distance or power rating, but as I said, its just my nature and this is the internet. I understand its a long shot, as I just went and paced it outside, just struggling to comprehend a 91m shot in game with SGM at 2.32 Joules.

I never claimed it BS, I just said that maybe your power (550fps) was wrong. :rolleyes:

If the system is that good, its amazing and I take my hat off to you. However, maybe I am just one of those people who needs to see things in the flesh. I've talked to many people who thought 100 yards was much closer than it really is.

Perhaps you could make another short video to go along side that one, with a laser rangefinder and chronograph and get the cameraman to zoom in on some shots, all with out cutting the shot?

I'm not suggesting it to undermine your business, but more to promote it and prove your statements to people outside of the US. Think of the orders you could win with such a film. :P

I would not expect him to reveal all his work, TDS, as others may try to replicate it.

I aleady saw there was a blank space or two on the web site and I expected the "force multiplier" to be a semi auto version.

Either way, RightHook you are obviouisly a dedicated Airsoft sniper and great asset to the sport and are always welcome here. Sorry to have got off to a bad start.

Lastly what Hop rubber is fitted inside the MANTIS?

Good Hunting ;)

How about this, stop with your BS Data on an obviusly legit video

his data is NOT BS by the way

Forum topic about fps v's distance

Airsoft trajectory project

and i have some media buddies who can make BS videos look legit quite happily ;)

he said sorry so lets all be kind again :D , but i did think the same thing until i read your reply (dam uni making me question everything :rolleyes: )

saying that i don't doubt your claims

i have a vsr doing 450 which has got some shots most say are not possible :P

its all down to the tinkering, i take about 3-4 weeks on average to get my vsr up to my standards after it has been striped for cleaning

and a couple of hours before the next game to get it back to my standards as it loses a tiny bit of accuracy during game play

good luck with it

Its all good fellas, Truce.

LOL, I do know 100 yards pretty well, besides running 2 buisness's

I also help train the local Sheriff's Office snipers occasionally, so I

have the distance burned into my brain.

TDS, My semi auto is a bit different then ya think.

It uses the STD bold, minus the handle, and an electric

Actuator to push it in and out of battery. More on this

later.

pretty cool.

I take it this is based on a Tanaka/KJW M700 style action? I know you say it uses the mag, can I assume that its the receiver and barrel unit too?

I'm most impressed with the HPA system. It was something I wanted to do. I'm still not keen on having a seperate tank, mainly because I am constantly putting my rifle down to switch to a pistol to clear buildings/trenches etc. I notice you have a QD in the line.

Is that a self sealing QD to stop the HPS leaking out, or do you have a non-venting valve somewhere else in the line?

For me, I wouldnt want the great hiss of air as you unclip the mag.

quite interested.... I like the idea of HPA, but I just havent found anything yet on the market that can compare to my VSR in terms of range and accuracy (and lets be honest, thats all that matters).

LOL, I do know 100 yards pretty well, besides running 2 buisness's

I also help train the local Sheriff's Office snipers occasionally, so I

have the distance burned into my brain.

This suggests that the distance was estimated? Was it physically measured with a tape or laser rangefinder?

Just curious...... :)

just a few question.

is it a standard hopunit(if so what kind) or is it a custom unit.

and would you be able to give test results at 500fps as thats the uk limit for boltaction rifles.

if the gun can delivers the same accuracy and range at 500fps i would be very interested in getting one in the near future

Answers-

*Yes, I too felt having the bottle might be cumbersome in the beginning, but after 1 game, I did not

even know it was there-

*The distance shot at was walked off with a wheel. I know what a technical crowd airsofters are, and have to much to lose by putting my integrity at question by not making sure it was at least 100 yards-

*Lower FPS, say 500 will still reach out to 100 yards. I usually have to adjust the hop, and re-zero somewhat, but it is possible, keep in mind, I played the AI500 game in Florida, and score over 2 dozen hits at 100+ yards in just one scenario, distance measured via another players rangefinder. The Mantis I used was shooting 540ish FPS.

One other thing that hasnt been touched on is that if the gun crono's at 500fps/.2 and has a good seal, its probably firing at a good amount more energy with the heavier bb, thus the confusion. Its pretty much a known fact that heavier bb's fire with more energy for a given output.

HPA rigs aren't /that/ bad, it really depends on your style of play and how much thought you put into the setup. If its a Lionclaws/Irene/whatever pseudo-CQB game you'll never notice it, if you forget you are wearing a rig and try to lowcrawl through thick brambles and didn't route the gas line out of the way, yeah it might catch on something.

But really, its a pain in the butt your first few times out until you troubleshoot your setup and route the line in the best way for how you carry your rifle and gear, then you'll never notice it again.

The rifles look really nice, and as a classic user, I can only welcome HPA capability.

But, I'm a natural born skeptic.

This is the internet and the video looks anything, but "obviously legit"... After sniping for 2+ yrs with 550-600ish rifles I find hard to believe there is such thing as a 100yd capable, accurate airsoft rifle, operating below safe muzzle energies (let's say <3.5 Joules).

Especially when I see BBs stuck in the IPSC cardboard target at 100yds. ;)

I have met the guy in person at blackjack. His rifles looked cool but I was not impressed by their performance. He also said that he usually keeps them tuned at around 700 fps for his locale site.

700 FPS?

Right dude- Gimme a break.

I don't know how you were not impressed by me taking the opfor off of the post office from the culvert next to the bridge for and hour, which was over 100 yards.

I remember you bud, you were the spotter for the Sniper with the Mohawk. I'm sorry my rifles took all of the wind out of the two of you guys sails. I know you planned on showing up and being the uber snipers. I'm also sorry my effective range was twice your guys range. I know when they had to mention one snipers rifle in front of the whole group, you guys looked a little deflated. But coming on here and talking poop just painted you as the butthurt kid who wanted to the the superstar of Blackjack.

Call me a Jerk, but talking smack about the rifles that EVERYONE at the event were impressed by is kinda silly.

Oh Well, your entitled to your opinion, even if it is a sea of others who went to Blackjack and say different.

i know you want to keep how its made and parts,low key incase anyone copys the design.

But can you tell me what hop it uses and what hop rubbers, as i would like to know that spares are easily accesable,especialy hop rubbers.

afew more question i have are

is the hopunit easily adjusted and how is it adjusted?

does the scope come with the stock rifle?

is there any preformance diffrence betwwen the mantis and the reaper?

thanks

pete

Archived