TM G17 vs. TM P226

The Thief Lord

So I'm gonna be picking up either a TM G17 or a TM P226 soon. Here's what the setups would be like:

TM G17 w/ PGC Slide, Guarder Kit, possibly some internal upgrades

Stock TM P226

As I don't know much about either as to what parts I should upgrade, I'd like to know if a PGC Slide and a Guarder frame WOULD fit a G17 Serpa. Also, for a G17, I'd like to know of any upgrade parts I should install for performance, same goes with the P226, along with any externals for it. Any ideas?

I have had both pistols, well one now. I own a TM Glock 17 right now and like it a lot. The only thing I did was add a custom redwolf airsoft Glock 22 slide and a stronger recoil spring. It works perfectly.

As for the Sig p226, I actually like the feel of that better. It just felt right in my hands. I chose the Glock 17 because it would be easier to make it more realistic. All you need is metal slide and you're done.

Either way, you'll like both pistols since they're TM's. Although the P226 does feel plasticky. I've fired both guns on green gas/propane in it's stock form and my slides haven't cracked. I'd say pick the one that feels more comfortable.

afallan

You probably want to try them both as the ergonomics are quite different.

Personally, I like the 226's better, but I'm left handed and the controls (decocker, slide lock) are oddly positioned for a leftie. I'm not a great fan of the way Glocks feel in the hand.

That said, out of the box, the TM Glock feels a lot less plasticky than their 226.

Cheers.

I own both of these models and have quite extensive experience with the real counterparts of both pistols as well, so I may have to type something here.

As others said, the performance is the same. That's all there is to it really. They shoot equally hard and accurately, and both have a very quick kick.

As for controls, I like the "less is more"-approach of a Glock, and in the case of TM GBBs the G17 has a far superior trigger pull compared to the P226. The P226 is gritty in double action (easy to solve though), but in single action the trigger has no "feeling" to speak of. Feels like shooting an AEG without a clear breaking point, just two steps when the trigger pull gets gradually harder.

For upgrades, you don't really need anything on either to run propane. At most a piston head or something, in which case I'd go with PDI.

For cosmetic upgrades, PGC is the best choice of metal kits for either. The PGC slide alone will make the TM G17 fit in a Serpa holster. I don't know if it would fit with a Guarder frame. I haven't bothered with that part because it's extra money for something that's hard to fit and doesn't really make the pistol more realistic in my book. I have a PGC metal kit on my P226 as well (old version), and it's a brilliant piece of kit but requires more fitting to cycle smoothly. I made mine so smooth that I'm running the stock recoil spring now and the blowback is quite quick. On the G17 I have a Guarder recoil spring + spring guide, but it takes a small modification to get it to center itself into the hole in the slide.

Whichever floats your boat is what you should go for. Grip angles and ergonomics is something that you can get used to, but the G17 will be cheaper to upgrade to metal parts if you want to make the gun realistic.

-Sale

You probably want to try them both as the ergonomics are quite different.

Personally, I like the 226's better, but I'm left handed and the controls (decocker, slide lock) are oddly positioned for a leftie. I'm not a great fan of the way Glocks feel in the hand.

That said, out of the box, the TM Glock feels a lot less plasticky than their 226.

Cheers.

Funny you should say that actually, I am a lefty as well. I'm not sure if there would be a difference, but a had an old KWC springer some time ago (maybe a couple years) and the mag release would always go when a pulled the trigger, went through a few mags that way, took a bit of getting used to.

You can switch the mag release to the right side of the pistol on the TM P226. Use the decocker with your index finger (of either hand, because you're never in that much of a hurry when you decock the pistol), and to release the slide, give it a tug instead of pressing the slide stop lever.

-Sale

I agree, as odd as it sounds (the Glock having less controls) the P226 is easier to use left handed.

I am not a lefty but when I dual wield, I use the P226 in my left hand.

Because the slide stop has a return spring just tugging the top slide (as sale suggested) will drop the slide stop and return the slide to battery.

I agree, as odd as it sounds (the Glock having less controls) the P226 is easier to use left handed.

I am not a lefty but when I dual wield, I use the P226 in my left hand.

Because the slide stop has a return spring just tugging the top slide (as sale suggested) will drop the slide stop and return the slide to battery.

If you have steel teeth, you can rack the slide like this:

I don't know why his slides were left forward on an empty mag though. But in any case, that's a brutal way of dual guadruple-wielding P226s.

A more dental-friendly way to tug the slide is with the rear sight against your belt or shoe sole, if your other hand is busy elsewhere.

-Sale

Archived