M733 Colt Commando - "Blood Diamond Special"

Reborn

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some constructive criticism for you,

Reborn, your rifle doesn't match the M733 in blood diamond, it is similar, but not the exact rifle. The barrel is too long, there is no flashlight, no paintjob, incorrect aimpoint mount, wrong carryhandle mount and sling type. Yours also has a forward sling mount and the one in BD doesn't, and don't forget the flashhinder, where the one in BD doesn't have ports but yours do, the handguarder holders (piece behind front sight post) is triangular but yours is circular...

Those small details makes the M733 special to the blood diamond movie, without those... you just have a normal M733 which alot of people can easily replicate...

here are some more pictures, but kudos for having the correct body type.

Babebooy, that is awesome, add a XM flashhinder and move the flashlight under the frontsight and your almost there. I really hope G&P releases the upper reciever for an A2 or A1 body, I would really like to turn my GBBr into a M733 someday.

Here is your under frontpost flashlight mount, it took me 5 seconds, rather than months, with the search term "mount" to find it...

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ea-qd-barrel-cl...ight-mount.html

All in all, good try...

vlcsnap-583528.png

vlcsnap-585452.png

vlcsnap-587053.png

vlcsnap-601080.png

vlcsnap-604230.png

Here's some constructive criticism for you,

Reborn, your rifle doesn't match the M733 in blood diamond, it is similar, but not the exact rifle. The barrel is too long, there is no flashlight, no paintjob, incorrect aimpoint mount, wrong carryhandle mount and sling type. Yours also has a forward sling mo.....

I think you've just convinced me NOT to sell my XM177E1 and instead give her a Paintjob and that Flashlight. I know, the Blood Diamond gun is a M733 (means-> A2 Receiver) but i like the A1 receiver style more for non-flat-top receivers. Thanks for providing the movie-caps!

Spartan - A lot of your criticisms are moot points; if you read the whole thread you will see that Reborn addresses many of the points that you have brought up. Namely that he may have to keep the barrel an inch longer to fit the mount and that this is also why he does not currently have the light attached. He also says two posts before yours that he is waiting to mount the torch before he gives the rifle a paint job.

BaBaBooey - I've never been an armalite fan or remotely interested in them but that is amazing.

Good work Reborn, will be looking forward to the final pictures!

Biscuit

I agree with biscuit you were a little repetitive with you criticism, and everything you brought up had already been addressed in previous posts. I say this is just another case of read the previous posts so you can make an educated addition to the topic.

No need for the harshness. Constructive criticism is always welcome. It's nice to have everything summed up in one post and get those new screens too.

Expecting to finally finish the project next month.

Perseverance is the word. While it's not as radical as building a sci-fi rifle from scratch, I get satisfaction out of my project nonetheless. After I'm done with this one, I might make a copy of Gary Gordon's CAR-15 from Black Hawk Down.

No need for the harshness. Constructive criticism is always welcome. It's nice to have everything summed up in one post and get those new screens too.

Expecting to finally finish the project next month.

Thank you for understanding my post, unlike some people that don't have comprehension skills.

Also did you buy a touch pad for the surefire you go awhile back?

Btw what is wrong with installing the lightmount under the front sight? I think it would look alot better and alot closer to the BD rifle if you did that. If you don't know how to do it, I can try to explain, I had a mount like that along time ago. You just have to remove the front sling mount, take off the front sight and slip the front sight back on with the top half of the mount under it. Just beware of the little grub hex screw under the sling mount. Most people forget about that and end up scratching their barrel trying to remove the front sight.

I was gonna turn this guy into a BD rifle, but got bored with the A2 look and ended up making it a tooled M4, this was back when RIS/RAS was still cool =(

I really miss that configuration... It was a M653 semi quasi dmr-carbine, 13.5 in barrel.

P1020492.jpg

I'm on spring training in Arizona with my rowing team right now. When I get back, I'll be ordering a Surefire touch switch, the barrel mount, the set of mounting rings, and the necessary Krylon colors for the paintjob.

The main problem I have run into with the light mount is with the width of the G2 Nitrolon. It is 25-30 mm in diameter and most barrel mounts are in the 20 mm variety. That's why I need scope rings to sort it out.

With the completion of this project, I'd like to move on to my Black Hawk Down inspired Gary Gordon M733. I am no longer willing to invest in another TM M733 and then upgrade it with a replacement receiver kit - I'd like to get something ready-made, most desirably by G&P. WGC offers a G&P M733 but it has A1 features.

If I can source the right carbine, the rest would be a pinch - KA OPS suppressor, G&P CompML2 sight, G&P M16 mount, and Surefire G2 light (duct-taped to the upper handguard instead of mounted under the barrel). A layer of khaki and stripes of black would seal the deal. What do you all think?

I'm on spring training in Arizona with my rowing team right now. When I get back, I'll be ordering a Surefire touch switch, the barrel mount, the set of mounting rings, and the necessary Krylon colors for the paintjob.

The main problem I have run into with the light mount is with the width of the G2 Nitrolon. It is 25-30 mm in diameter and most barrel mounts are in the 20 mm variety. That's why I need scope rings to sort it out.

With the completion of this project, I'd like to move on to my Black Hawk Down inspired Gary Gordon M733. I am no longer willing to invest in another TM M733 and then upgrade it with a replacement receiver kit - I'd like to get something ready-made, most desirably by G&P. WGC offers a G&P M733 but it has A1 features.

If I can source the right carbine, the rest would be a pinch - KA OPS suppressor, G&P CompML2 sight, G&P M16 mount, and Surefire G2 light (duct-taped to the upper handguard instead of mounted under the barrel). A layer of khaki and stripes of black would seal the deal. What do you all think?

What about your marine M16a4, I thought you were gonna do that one? I think you should mix it up a bit, since you already have a carbine, you should get a rifle.

You could honestly just add a silencer to the BD one and get close enough, you haven't painted the BD or gotten the mount, so it could be cheaper just to turn it into a BHD rifle by just adding a silencer and taping on the flashlight

I know you're trying to match the BHD movie M733, but most M733 were built off of A1 uppers that are very very similar to Bushmaster's AR15A1's. The only physical difference I see is the round FA button which is easy to swap.

I would suggest you avoid the GP 733 kits. From my experience (when compared to other kits), fit is very poor, the color is way off, the receiver markings are poor, casting is awful, etc.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The G&P M16A2 kit I bought for my TM M733 was a pain in the *albatross* to fit. I'd much rather buy their ready-built rifles. However, the status of the WGC custom M733 (built from G&P parts with an M16A1 upper receiver) is listed as "STOP ORDERING." I don't know if it will come back in stock. If they do restock it, I'd buy it. The rest would be a pinch.

The M16A1 upper receiver doesn't really bother me that much. I'm trying to make a carbine inspired by its movie counterpart, not trying to copy it exactly. Same deal with the Blood Diamond carbine I'm building. I try my best to be accurate, but some minor differences for practicality's sake are tolerated.

The proposed paintjob requires a layer of khaki first, then blotches of OD, and finally black stripes. If I do the Black Hawk Down carbine, the paintjob will be in the "stripe" pattern, with a khaki undercoat, brown stripes, and finally black finishing touches.

Archived