M733 Colt Commando - "Blood Diamond Special"

Reborn

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ pjones:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't do that. I've already decided to make my own flashlight mount - namely, it involves a homemade foam spacer, electrical tape, the Surefire G2, and the M733's upper foregrip. Thanks again for the suggestion. :D

@ Cerigo:

I called the shop yesterday. Apparently they still have eight more guns to work on before they can get to my carbine. I expect them to be done before the week's out, though.

Current progress:

gallery_48501_1340_20158.jpg

gallery_48501_1340_28554.jpg

gallery_48501_1340_23758.jpg

This is as far as the project will go until the end of this year. I have college coming up fast.

Remaining work:

- Under-barrel flashlight mount (for Surefire G2 Nitrolon)

- 6 additional medium-capacity magazines

- One-point sling

- Prometheus 6.03 mm inner barrel (300 mm long)

- Custom paintjob (to be determined - either woodland or desert)

Just need to hit it with some krylon to take the shinyness away.

You are just going to have to be patient for magazines if you dont want to pay full price for mags. I just picked up 12 G&P stanags for roughly 10 shipped a piece off the sale forum

Is this what you are looking for as far as a flashlight mount goes?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-1-rin...ystems-m17.html

Overall its looking epic, so glad to see someone follow through with a project like you have

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I'll take all of your advices to heart and keep looking while I put the project on a hiatus for now. I've got plenty of time, so I'm bound to come up with something by the end of the year to finish the project.

Then, it will be time for that paintjob I promised.

EDIT: Another picture showing off the trigger group and my personal touch.

gallery_48501_1340_9340.jpg

Of course. The previous poster was referring to painting the pistol grip to make it look less shiny.

I've heard great things about MAG's range of midcaps, but their plastic build seriously turns me off. I'm a guy who regularly find himself diving for cover or crawling through mud. All of my magazines are beaten to hell and back. Plastic simply can take that kind of abuse. The last thing I want is to find my last magazine damaged and unable to be used. I'm not worried about buying a pack of replacements, but I am terrified of have such a critical piece of my gear fail on me in the field.

As for natural wear, I agree.

Pictures of me with my new carbine from today's game at Sequoia...

gallery_48501_1377_134644.jpg

gallery_48501_1377_151972.jpg

It turned out that the inexperienced technician at AEX Santa Clara installed the bushings incorrectly and caused a blown fuse in my carbine today. I'm sending the carbine back for repairs, taking advantage of their 60-day warranty policy.

I tend to be a little forgiving. I'll give them a chance to correct it.

Besides, it's not like that the failure doomed me. I was firing on fully automatic at approaching hostiles when the carbine died. I tossed it aside, drew my Glock, and emptied half a magazine into the closest hostile. My sidearm sufficed for the rest of the hour-long game. As soon as I was back at the staging area, I broke out my backup rifle:

gallery_48501_1377_111594.jpg

I happily sniped away for the rest of the day. :D

• 2 months later...

Update:

I received my order of 8 G&P 130-round STANAG magazines. I now have 11 magazines for this rifle (all medium-capacity ones except for the 68-round TM example). I also purchased a one-point bungee sling in olive drab. The only thing missing now is a suitable clamp-style under-the-barrel flashlight mount that can fit my Surefire G2 Nitrolon (30 mm tube diameter). I'm looking to source that from either a real-steel shop or AEX Oakland. After that, the rifle will be ready for a paintjob. I am in college at the moment - the rifle will receive its new accessories when I return home this Saturday.

Reborn, I can't tell if you are using the oval M4-style handguards instead of the round carbine style handguards. After reviewing stills at www.imfdb.org, I'm pretty sure the movie-gun used the round handguards.

I'm currently building an older-school style AR myself too, just with a bit less outer barrel, early m733 style upper (only windage adjustable rear sight, but with forward assist and brass deflector), and A1 style grip. Kind of a hodge-podge of different elements of various AR's, but hopefully it'll come out looking somewhat like an old airforce carbine.

If you want, I have a spare matte-black pistol grip w/ heatsync that I don't need from my project, be willing to let it go to you for five bucks plus the dollar or so postage it'll cost to get it to Fremont.

Let me know.

I'm using the round carbine-style handguards that came with the stock rifle.

Thanks for the offer, bro. I'll keep it in mind. I am considering a "renovation & upgrade" phase to the project soon. Right now, the rifle is still in "combat testing" phase, meaning I am using it liberally in actual events to get a thorough feel for it and test out its potentials. I'm going to a game in the rain tomorrow. After that, any worn/damaged stock parts will be replaced with high-end aftermarket products.

PM me your email so I can wire the money via PayPal when I'm ready for the next phase of the project. It won't be long. I'm home on break right now and I'll back in college in three weeks.

I have an additional favor to ask of you. Do you, by any chance, own a clamp-style flashlight mount that will accomodate a Surefire G2 Nitrolon (30 mm tube diameter) and fit under the barrel of the M733? If so, I'd be happy to buy it from you. If you know anything about these clamps, please notify me. Thank you.

Got nothing like that sitting in my box of parts... the extra AR stuff I have sloshing around right now includes:

Side-mounted sling mount (the one that fits under the gas block), TM pistol grip, Matte-finish pistol grip (w/ heatshield), front sight (missing pins), stock TM M733 body (with A2 style rear sight), G&P M4 length outer barrel, a few birdcage flashhiders, Stock TM handguards, and soon-to-be M4 style oval handguards once my RS Carbine style handguards come. Basically all the stuff that one accumulates over time after multiple AR projects...

Have you considered this for your 'aimpoint' mount? I know in blood diamond, the target gun uses a picatiny style mount on the carry handle to mount the aimpoint, but this is a cleaner (if not far more pricey) method of getting an Aimpoint on a carry handle:

http://www.oriontacticalgear.com/index.asp...&ProdID=125

What battery are you able to get into the handguard?

I'll pm my e-mail.

Steve

edit: Also, this website is fun for people building more 'retro' style AR's... don't know if you've visited it, but it is an amazing source of information on the myriad of different ar variants of the 60's and 70's: http://www.retroblackrifle.com/

Thanks for the information, man. I really appreciate them.

I currently use an 8.4V battery with 7 cells. It works perfectly for my purposes. It is probably the only type of battery that those handguards can hold.

And here are some pictures from today.

wildernesspm9.jpg

All of the G&P 130-round units fed perfectly.

hellshighwaypi2.jpg

darkestbeforedawnnq8.jpg

My weapons.

collectionagf1.jpg

:D

Archived