King Arms L1A1 SLR

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI I just tested the FAL mags in the SLR andf they fit and feed fine ;)

Now that's weird, my FAL mags (early production, but both 90 and 550-rounders) just about clip into my KA L1A1's magwell but they fall out at the slightest pressure, not at all secure. And my KA L1A1 mags are too tight for the FAL's mag catch to close around. Strange! Maybe later-production FAL and SLR mags are compatible, which would explain why different people report different results.

Looking forward to reading your comparative review! IMHO, the Star SLR is generally somewhat the more accurate replica (apart from the rounded contours of the receiver just below the rear sight mount, and I'm not sure about the slight but apparent forward slant of the mags) but the KA rifles are lovely too, and a bit more solid despite being rather light. Plus I value their readily-available full-auto. The accurate click-stop on the gas regulator and the correct spring-loaded lug mounting of the gas plug are nice touches on the KA rifles, which the Star one doesn't have. The full-stock FAL is not strictly accurate for any metric variant (eg those open front sight protectors). Dunno why KA didn't replicate a more representative metric FAL but I'm glad they didn't as mine is now a decent look-alike for a wood-stocked SLR!

Edited by 33lima
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys

Thought i would add an update about my L1A1

Well i still love it... but, and this is a big but, it went in for a upgrade 8 months ago and has been with the engineer waiting for parts ever since.

The problem is that if the gearbox is removed its very likely that you will snap the Selector Plate, this is due to some bad design and a very brittle selector plate.

This will not be a huge problem i thought, broken selector plate... lets order a new one! hmmm even my local Airsoft shop (and King Arms stokist) cant even get one and they are in direct contact with King Arms!

This sucks as i miss this otherwise awesome gun!

Hows everyone elses KA L1A1?

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is going strong after about 8 months regular use, alternatig with my AA SA80. I usually use it in preference to my Star SLR because of the built-in full-auto and 550-rd hi-caps. Battery life seems very good despite the blow-back, which is a nice feature and (while a long way short of the real thing) gives you much more of sensation that you're firing a weapon, than the usual AEG.

Pity the carry handle is the wrong shape but it's not that noticeable and I'll replace it one of these days with a real one.

The flash hider is a bit thin tho the right shape and length, and IIRC the handguard screw is on the wrong side. Some have said the lower receiver just above pivot area is too rounded for a British-made L1A1 and sure enough it lacks the common rectangular shape; but I have seen pics of what appear to be real SLRs with such contours, while i have never seen one with the rounded taper to the receiver just below the rear sight, that the STAR SLR displays.

Only prob I had was a strange one. The rifle would just not fire, first on semi then sometimes not at all.

Traced it to the cosmetic spring-loaded steel plunger behind the trigger. It was preventing the trigger from coming all the way back. Dunno why it impacted semi more often than full auto. Solved it by removing the plunger (easy, unscrew the retaining collar IIRC) filing back the conical tip of the plunger very slightly, and refitting. Sorted.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a comparison of the STAR and the KA SLR's? I'm really interested in purchasing one but I don't know which is worth the money.

What I want:

-an SLR!!!!!! :P

-reliability

-compatibility(to internal parts)

-solidness(big must)

-high quality stock internal parts

I don't want to spend a lot of money and directly have to spend a bunch more to get the FPS to around 400 and still work reliably. Also, would the FAL RIS fit the SLR's or are there SLR RIS's?

• 1 month later...
No one?

Seems like the KA is the best but comes with its set of problems.

Does anyone know a cheap place to get one in the US since I don't want it to get caught in customs?

I just picked up a King Arms L1A1 at Evike..I think it was their one and only one in stock. ..got it for a steal too.

There are no FN Herstal trademarks on it..at least mine did not... (my Star FN FNC has beautiful trademarks)

unlicensed trademarks and no orange barrel is the only reason Customs would be holding your airsoft so I would order away from whoever has it in stock.

shop.ehobbyasia.com has the King Arms version for $395 while the Star version is on sale for $299

(Star FNC is on sale for $199)

(King Arms FAL $242

Edited by the cleaner
  • 2 weeks later...
I just picked up a King Arms L1A1 at Evike..I think it was their one and only one in stock. ..got it for a steal too.

There are no FN Herstal trademarks on it..at least mine did not... (my Star FN FNC has beautiful trademarks)

unlicensed trademarks and no orange barrel is the only reason Customs would be holding your airsoft so I would order away from whoever has it in stock.

shop.ehobbyasia.com has the King Arms version for $395 while the Star version is on sale for $299

(Star FNC is on sale for $199)

(King Arms FAL $242

SLRs didn't have "trademarks" as such, just the engraved markings, including a sort of serial number prefix which identified where and when the weapon was built eg mine (my Army issue real steel one) was UE58 A53317 = built at Enfield in 1958. From memory, the Star's engravings look a little more authentic but both are pretty good.

Despite shooting at about 300 compared to about 400, the KA is only moderately inferior in range due to a very good KA hop-up.

Star has a RIS mount which replaces the rifle's top cover; this is basically as used by the real SUIT optical sight but with a RIS on top of the mount instead of the SUIT sight's odd cruciform sight base.

Real, Star and KA top covers all seem to be interchangeable. The real top cover is a mil or two shorter than STAR's.

I'm no expert but the KA one seems to use more standard or compatible parts eg it has a TM SIG-style hop-up whereas the Stars is an odd tubular proprietary one.

The KA SLR is lighter and its flash hider tho accurate externally is a little "thin" in construction tho strong enough. despite this it feels a fair bit more solid that Star/Ares. The latter's handuard is creaky even after I tightened up the barely-tight gas tube locking ring and the body locking (stripping) latch doesn't grip the upper receiver very accurately resulting in a very small but noticeable amount of play or slop about the receiver pivot (some mates' Star SLRs are the same).

The Star's flip-up rear sight aperture flips down very easily; the real one could do that but not nearly so bad. The KA rear sight aperture is a good deal more rigid.

I reckon the Star is somewhat the better replica but the KA is somewhat the better AEG. Both are pretty good as replicas and AEGs.

Edited by 33lima
  • 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread with great interest. Always loved the L1A1 after owning a plastic Airfix version when I was a kid. Kind of became an iconic item of my child hood. Would love to get one of these even if it was just for display. Deacs seem to cost an arm and a leg and these have the added bonus of you can go out and enjoy them at the weekend. Somthing else to add to my ever growing want's list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
BTW does anybody know how to remove the carrying handle.

To remove the carry handle you have to;

Remove the fore grip.

Remove the rear sight. (gets in the way of the top cover)

Crack the gun open, to do this the hop needs to be pushed forward by reaching into the mag well and pushing forward whilst you open the gun using the release lever (by the stock on the fire selector side), THE GUN ONLY OPENS A LITTLE, NOT FULLY, DONT FORCE IT!

Remove top cover by sliding to the rear,

Remove the horse shoe shaped bracket and silver shaft & spring that guides the bolt cover (this bit goes through the carry handle)

Undscrew the round slotted nut thingy that sits over the gas tube (attached to reciever just infront of carry handle)

Then the carry handle is free!

*Warning* This guide is based on my experiences with the gun and is quite a tricky procedure, although i have done this many times without incident, i hold no respontibility for any dammage caused to anyones gun whilst following this guide.

Al

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • 1 month later...
Moose, if you want to put an RIS on it, why do you specifically want an SLR and not a Generic FAL? I say this because our local airsoft store (Old Man's place) has a fal with an RIS for a cracking good deal IIRC(he might have sold it)....

Sorry for the very, very late response...

I'd rather buy an SLR as it is more sleek looking, compared to the more boxy shape of the FAL, it's just my taste I guess.

However, the main reason would be that I would expect King Arms to have fixed some problems that they had with their FAL's, I don't know if that is legit though. Well, I'm starting to look more into the Mk.12 now, as it would be more practical, but god I love the FAL/SLR!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys the KA L1A1 is now 242 at all the major H&K stores. Also how is the gear box in the L1A1? I am looking at putting a M120 or 130 in and just wanted to know if any one had any comments on what the gearbox can handle. Also how do the 90rnd mags feed for everyone thanks

Derek

I've read through this thread sone time ago and as you all must know, I'm really interested in the L1A1 or FAL. Now, to my understanding, the SLR is improved over the FAL but I don't know how it is improved. And as you also may know, I'm interested in putting on a RAS/RIS to it and I know the rails fit the FAL but I have not gotten an answer if it fits the SLR, in which I think it does not.

I'd like to know what really seperates the two(besides the cosmetics, obviously). What makes the SLR that much better, that is, of course if it is better or if they are pretty equal besides the cosmetics.

Thanks.

Sorry for the very, very late response...

I'd rather buy an SLR as it is more sleek looking, compared to the more boxy shape of the FAL, it's just my taste I guess.

However, the main reason would be that I would expect King Arms to have fixed some problems that they had with their FAL's, I don't know if that is legit though. Well, I'm starting to look more into the Mk.12 now, as it would be more practical, but god I love the FAL/SLR!

Whatever you do, NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy the STAR L1A1. It is bleeping awful. Almost every damn thing on this cheap-bleep piece of bleep breaks because its made of bleep by complete bleepers.

BLEEP!