I'm attempting to build a Sniper AUG

Nightmare

I'm attempting to build a Sniper AUG

I know there are at least 3 AUG Gurus around here. I’d like to get advice / opinions on my build.

Here are the parts I have so far.

Echo1 Phantom 1 – AUG (350 FPS out of the box)

Systema Super Torque-Up Gear Set

Prometheus 150 Spring

Systema Silent Head Set

G&P Poly Piston

Metal Spring guide with bearings

MOSFET

I am still reading reviews on:

Tight Bore Barrels (leaning toward the DBC 6.01)

Bucking (leaning toward the Element)

Nub (H-Nub?)

I’m still confused on the whole Firefly + H-Nub debate.

I will probably solder my own batter pack if the stock Ni-MH sucks.

I think I should be fine with the stock motor, metal bushings and hop-up (I’ll buy the metal one later).

You may want to replace your motor when you get a chance, It should last you a little while but at least with what ive seen, they tend to go out on ya after a while being upgraded.

Also, looks like you forgot a piston head. This is a pretty important part with your upgrades. (Unless the Systema silent head set is the piston head?) If thats the case you might want to replace the cylinder head as well.

If you wanna pull that spring, you will need a high-torque motor. The stock motor is simply not gonna cut it. Neither will the stock battery. You'll need to make your own/buy a new one. The Systema silent head is a piston head I believe (silences the sound of the piston slamming forward), but a new cylinder head would be a good idea for a better air seal, as would a new air nozzle. The H-Nub theory is that it will provide a more precise application on the hop-up. Firefly rubbers are supposedly incredible (I have tried them, and IMO they are overpriced because they're not really any better than guarders, which is what i reccommend). I can't comment on the barrel because I haven't tried one yet, but if you purchase it, I would like to know how it performs in the AUG, because I've been considering putting one in my AUG.

The Systema Silent Kit has both. http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=149

Airsoft GI told me that the Echo1 motor should pull the spring fine with the torque up gears. We'll see.

I know about the battery problem. I need to see what I can fit into the stock. I might do the "Plate Mod" in order to allow a bigger battery.

the moter should be ok as you are using super torques (the most torque'y you can get)

i have found firefly hop rubbers are hit and miss, they are ether amazing or just around average

make sure you use a quality cells for your battery pack and a good quality MOSFET which can dissipate alot off heat as you will heat it up very quickly in semi

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I’m still working on my Sniper AUG project. I have about ½ the upgrades done.

Here is what I’ve done so far:

Systema Super Torque-Up Gear Set (all shimmed)

Hurricane 120 Spring (waiting to install a Prometheus 150 Spring)

Systema Silent Head Set

G&P Poly Piston

Metal Spring guide with bearings

DB Custom 509mm Tight Bore 6.01mm barrel

I took the gun out last weekend. We only played a couple games, and I only shot about 500 BBs. The range, speed and accuracy are greatly increased over the stock gun. I’ll post results when I get a chance to shoot some targets.

I ran into a couple problems with the upgrades:

1) The spring guide did not fit on the Echo Gearbox. I had to file off some round part to get the box back together.

2) The Systema Piston head did not fit either. I had to file open the holes on the sides of the piston head in order to get it to fit the poorly shaped “nubs” on the inside of the gearbox.

3) The stock hop-up is SUPER tight. It felt like I was going to tear the bucking when I installed the new barrel. I was able to install the stock bucking with several squirts of the silicon lube. I assume this is normal, but still irritating.

a. I assume I can’t use the H-Nub with the stock hop-up, due to the design of the nub lever. Can I install the H-nub in the metal G&P Hop-up?

b. If I can’t use the H-nub on the stock Hop-up then I don’t think I can use the Element bucking. The stock bucking on the Echo1 has a “nub” built into the bucking. Without something extra to push on the “smooth” bucking, I don’t think I will get any hop out of the hop-up.

c. Even with the hop-up turned all the way up it still seems to be a little under-hopped. Any suggestions?

So far I’m not blow away by the performance. I’ll hold of my final opinion until I complete the barrel break-in and install the 150 spring. I may also need to get the metal hop-up unit if I still don’t like the hop-up action.

If you have any questions, suggestions or opinions, I’d like to hear them.

I guess I’ll install the Element Bucking and Element H-Nub on my G36 for now.

I know how frustrating it is to have tons of questions and no answers, so lets see if I can help a bit:

1. Right version of spring guide for the mechbox? (Ver 3) Either way once it is in and doesnt move you should be fine.

2. On the pistonhead or the piston itself? Kind of strange, the pistonhead shouldn't go back far enough to go past the cylinder and hit the rails for the piston on the sides, if thats what you mean.

3. Yeah, totally normal to lube the outside of the bucking. As long as you are careful to not tear the bucking, and then make sure it is centered in the barrel when you close it all up it's all good.

4.You can use the h-nub on both the stock hop bucking and the Element H-Hop as well, on both the stock hop unit and the G&P metal.

On the AUG, the arm that pushes the nub on the bucking is simply a holder for a piece of tube, the H-nub goes right there.

I'm currently rocking an Element H-nub with an Element red bucking. I also have the same H nub in my M14 with a Guarder clear bucking, works great there too.

On a normal bucking there is a nub on the inside of the bucking, and you additionally need the nub to sit on top of it, so the arm push it down and push the bucking into the barrel, applying more hop up.

From the likes of your questions here, I'd hazard a it sounds like the nub fell out at some point when you disassembled the unit. I lost the nub when I took apart my AUG's hop unit the first time and countless others have as well. Check to make sure it is still in there!

If you are still underhopping, you might need a harder bucking, or if that still doesnt do the trick, add a spacer to the hop arm to apply even more hop. Just be careful, I've already torn an Element red bucking doing that!

Here's some stats! My JG AUG clocks in at around 320 with .25s, I'm hitting an 18"x12" target 2-3/10 from 175 ft and 8/10 from 140 ft. Lets me suppress targets to 175 ft, and effectively engage them to around 140. Stock spring, stock barrel, Element Red packing, Element H-nub.

Let me know how that DBC barrel works out for ya, I've been looking at picking one of those up. You mind letting me know some groupings when you finish up your setup? With the 120 spring it would really be helpful to me, I'm gonna do another round of upgrades on it soon!

Archived