Jing Gong Sig 550

This is my first review, and my first airsoft rifle, so bear with me if I do a bit to much praising, but I’ll will try to do my best in pointing out the good and bad spots.

Images come at the bottom for those interested

Real Steel info (stolen from http://world.guns.ru):

In the late 1970s the Swiss army began the search for a new, smaller caliber rifle to replace old,full-power 7.5mm Stgw.57 (SIG 510) automatic rifle. Initial tests were done with the 5.6 x 48 Eiger and 6.5 x 48 GP80 ammunition. Prototype rifles were developed by SIG (based on their SG-540 design) and by the state-owned Waffenfabrik Bern (W+F). However, the Swiss army selected a slightly improved version of the 5.56 x 45 NATO cartridge as the 5.6 mm GP90, and further testing proved the superiority of the SIG SG-541 rifle over its W+F rival. In 1983, the Swiss Army officially adopted the SIG SG-541 as the Sturmgewehr-90, or Stgw.90 although due to financial reasons production began only in 1986. Currently, the Stgw.90 is a standard Swiss service rifle.

Starting from the back; the stock:

The stock is made of plastic with a soft rubber cap, kinda like the ones you can buy the aks. It can be removed, but wont fall off as you play. As the stock can be folded, even a full-lenght rifle can be made relatively small when compared to for example an M16, but it’s still big when compared to an M4. One bad part about the stock is that there is no real stock release when it’s folded, you have to simply use brute force to force the two pieces of plastic holding it to the body away from eachother.

The body and sights: The body is made of plastic, but it’s durable enough and wont break on you, even if you fall on it. The sights are drum-type with a special cut-out for night use, but me, as I got bad sight on my right eye, always use the nightsights anyway. The front sight also has an extra part than can be lifted up to make the post a little bit taller and thicker.

The fire selector is pretty much like a G3 or an MP5, but with S-1-20 markings instead of S-E-F. The gun uses a 552 body, so it has doesn’t have the burst, and it has the incorrect cocking handle (the 552 has a different one from the 550). The different selector positions make themselves heard with a satisfying click at each move.

Going back to the charging handle, the whole bolt is in pastic, so it can happily be slapped back and forth toward the body all day if you want to. I’ve used mine also during the time I’ve had it, and it shows no sign of damage.

The handguard & bipod:

The handguard is made of durable plastic (same as the real steel) and has a removable folding metal bipod. Myself, i took the bipod off, as I have weak arms, and you don’t use it anyways. Inside the hardguards is the metal outer barrel wich adds alot of extra front-weight together with the battery. The battery supplied is an 1100mah 9.6v stick, which works suprisingly well, and giving me a good enough ROF ’till i can afford to buy a better make.

The gun clocks in at 98 m/s (320 fps, although the box says 340something), and is good enough at the field I play at. Also, the hop-up is great. I have barely turned it, and i’ve already obtained uptimal range, so firing heavy BBs wouldnt be a problem with the hop.

The gun weights 3650, with a lenght of 1000/750 (stock open/folded) millimters grams according to the box, and the bipod itself is probably about 5-600 of those grams.

All in all, this is a good gun, and came cheap off RSOV. I’d give it an 8/10. Good points for most of the stuff, but points off for the weight and the very weak handguard pin, which i’ve had to superglue together.

dscn1896fb1.th.jpg

Older pic from when I just got it, with the bipod on. All the straps hold a plastic M4 bayonet

dscn1912gn1.th.jpg

Pic showing the full rifle with a 2litre coca cola bottle for scale. The tape is for showing that it's my rifle, and not my friends, who got the same one.

dscn1913kn8.th.jpg

Stock folded.

dscn1914cj6.th.jpg

Crappy image showing the nightsights

dscn1915it4.th.jpg

Another crappy image showing the daynights

dscn1916yj8.th.jpg

Bolt pulled back to relveal the hopup unit

dscn1917jc4.th.jpg

Handguard pin and stock holding bit of the body.

dscn1918qj5.th.jpg

Battery compartment without the battery

dscn1919vu1.th.jpg

Battery compartment with the battery i got with the gun