AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kalash AKS-74U w/ romanian foregrip. Turned out pretty good for my first time modding an AK handguard.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

errm. its... different. not exactly bad, but doesnt look quite right. i think it would look better if the foregrip slanted backwards like the underfolding romys.

Perhaps it's the angle of the pictures, but I think it fits with the lines of the rifle quite well.

I'd really like to add a russian optic next, but we'll see.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

Glad you got the wood ok and were able to make it work out. turned out great. makes me want to get another set and do one myself.

Kalash AKS-74U w/ romanian foregrip. Turned out pretty good for my first time modding an AK handguard.

**snip pictures**

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

CapaciousZepher, that is one of the nicest AKSU's ive ever seen, good work on the front gaurd!

Now I want to buy another one :( reason ive always sold them (had 3 now) was I never got on with the front handguard!

I was never the biggest fan of AKs... until recently. Being a bit of a gear wh*re, I've always found AKs kinda simple looking, and then something clicked in me and I embraced their beauty. ;)

A while ago I saw on RMW an Ino kit that had a metal vented upper handguard. Since RMW dissolved their association with Ino, I knew that wasn't going to be an option. Around the same time, Grim showed his AK (think it was an AIMS) with a vented handguard and I thought it looked pretty bad-*albatross*.

I've been getting through a lot of projects recently, and finally got around to doing this one:

ventedak10401smallki9.jpg

ventedak10402smallfp9.jpg

ventedak10403smalltb9.jpg

A little nerve racking installing the RS vented handguard part onto the AK104, but I think it came out pretty well in the end. It's even more solid than before the modification which is a nice unexpected side effect. Considering the whole thing cost me under $175 (everything in the pic), I may actually like this than many of my other expensive guns currently. :)

Waiting on a Kobra sight to finish it off.

OMG uscmcorps!! that is sexy! i really want one now! I take its a Cyma? hows the quality of the metal on it? I really want a couple of thoses vented handguards and a romy frontgrip! just need to find someone that is willing to post them to the UK for me!!

That 104 looks fantastic. Viva la cheap chinese ak's.

Thanks! It's actually my first clone ever. I've been staying well clear of them for years, until I started hearing rumblings on how much they've improved. Then after seeing a friend's one at a recent OP, I figured that it was worth further investigating and took a gamble. Needless to say... for a little over $100, it's an insane deal.

OMG uscmcorps!! that is sexy! i really want one now! I take its a Cyma? hows the quality of the metal on it? I really want a couple of thoses vented handguards and a romy frontgrip! just need to find someone that is willing to post them to the UK for me!!

Thanks Bersy! It is indeed a Cyma. Metal quality is ok (especially compared to my Guarder AKS-74U I bought off Titleist a while back), but it is definitely half way decent. The first thing I did upon receiving it is follow Guinness's weathering guide and using some 000 and 0000 grade steel wool started distressing it. By default, the factory paint is extremely flat black metal. The steel wool gave it a nice sheen. Then more distressing with steel wool started baring bare metal. The first time I did it I got a bit overzealous and weathered it too much IMHO. So I resprayed with flat black over various areas and gave it a lighter weathering job. The main key is to handle the gun for a few minutes and see which parts of it you hold and which come in cotact with your gear. You can give it an overall weathering effect, but points of high contact should receive the greatest amount of weathering.

Here's what it looked like earlier this afternoon prior to the re-weathering and vented handguard installation (note that the flashhider has most of it's paint removed because I had a hard time getting the super glue that ASGI used to attach the orange cap):

Pic 01

Pic 02

From the above pics, you will see that I had initially over-weathered the block below the rear sight mount. Also the indentation areas just above the mag well on either side of the receiver. These three areas thoroughly bugged me and I felt really deserved a fresh coat of paint and reweathering. So the above pics in my previous post are the results of two to three hours of my afternoon. ;)

I also had it rewired to Deans plugs by my buddy Eric over at AEX, and other than that and what you see here, it is generally stock. Performance wise, it chronos at 380fps on 0.2g BBs right out of the box. Accuracy is okay, and the range is very good.

A lot of my friends who have never played airsoft but are curious about it have asked me how much it would cost to get kitted up. When I used to tell them how much my guns cost (on average 500-1k) I could see them thinking to themselves how they'd ever explain an expense like that to their wives. Now when asked I say, get yourself a Cyma, a set of MAG mags, and a Chicom rig. For about $200 any noob can get themselves setup and playing on a competitive level with little effort. As much as I inherently don't want to support clones, the quality of this AK for what I paid is pretty shocking.

Edit: oh yeah, I also had to modify the top of the mag catch to work with VFC AK74 mags. A simple fix using a file and 5 minutes.

Me and stealth1911 had been talking about doing this for a little while. I was going to buy the RMW kit though, not the CYMA. So it'll be a little more expensive and hopefully rusty xD. That image has made me very happy though. Thanks USMCcorps. Apart from the 74 mag, that's exactly the setup I want. Brilliant job.

Edit: The RMW 104 kit with skeleton stock, has actually been my home page on Firefox for about 2 weeks now. I really am loving that.

Edited by AnotherJesus
That things awsome USMC, but correct me if Im wrong but I though that the 5.45 Ak 100 series carbine was the ak105. I mean its just a number so it doesnt batter but thats a sick looking gun!

Ak-102 (5.56), Ak-104 (7.62) and Ak-105 (5.45) are the carbines of the Ak100 series.