AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt really think i would ever own an AK. But for this years Irene, i will be fighting on the FF side, so i figured i would follow along and pick me up the AK.

That's the main reason why I picked up my two AKs. I'm attending more and more OPs that are in dire need of OPFORs (because no one wants to play the "bad guys") so figured I'd get an AK or two. Now that I have them, I finding that I'm leaning towards using them over my other guns regardless of the side that I'm on. :D

Took a quick snap of my AK104 with the Kobra sight:

kobra01smallna8.jpg

I also re-painted the area right below the bolt as the Thief Lord pointed out a little excess weathering in that area in the Battle-Worn Picture thread. He made a really good point that it looked a bit funky there, so I fixed it.

Inspired by this AK104 over at RMW:

ak104ssse6.jpg

Considering the RMW AK104 kit with CYMA gear box costs about $360 without the RS kobra, rubber butt-pad, battery and charger... whereas mine cost about $390 with all of those things included plus the AK vented handguard, I'm really satisfied with my purchase! ;)

Does anyone know how strong the side mount plates are on the CYMAs? Is it strong enough to hold the sight on there, or should I dummy cord the sight to the gun (just in case).

Thanks!

What heat shield/whatever is that above the lower portion of the foregrip?

It's a real steel AK47/74 Vented Upped HandGuard and gas tube. Can't recall where I got it from as it was a while ago, but it may have been from FloridaGunWorks.

Was NOT a simple drop in install though. The vented handguard seems to be welded to the rest of the gas tube structure, so I couldn't only use the handguard part and discard the rest (normally on RS handguards, the handguard is twisted onto the gas tube... not welded as is the case with my vented handguard). And as you're probably aware, on most (all?) AEG AKs, the fake gas tube is cast as part of the block below the rear sight. So it's not removable. I had to cut off the gas tube all the way back to the block, and hollow out with a dremel some of the material in the block so that the rear of the gas tube can be seated correctly. Once installed, the front end is now even more solid and secure than it was before the modification... but it was a little nerve racking to do as I was totally in the dark about the process. Hope that helps!

Edit:

No idea, but USCM, if I ever owned an AK, I'd want it to look exactly like that.

Excellent rifle build. The Kobra finishes it off perfectly.

-Vic

Thanks Vic! Yep, I think it's in a pretty good place. I'll probably just leave it alone now (modification wise). I'm thinking that I might buy a RS regular gas tube like this Bulgarian AK Gas Tube, and install the original black plastic upper handguard on it so that I can revert the gun back to where it was should I feel like it. ;)

Edited by uscmCorps
It's a real steel AK47/74 Vented Upped HandGuard and gas tube. Can't recall where I got it from as it was a while ago, but it may have been from FloridaGunWorks.

Was NOT a simple drop in install though. The vented handguard seems to be welded to the rest of the gas tube structure, so I couldn't only use the handguard part and discard the rest (normally on RS handguards, the handguard is twisted onto the gas tube... not welded as is the case with my vented handguard). And as you're probably aware, on most (all?) AEG AKs, the fake gas tube is cast as part of the block below the rear sight. So it's not removable. I had to cut off the gas tube all the way back to the block, and hollow out with a dremel some of the material in the block so that the rear of the gas tube can be seated correctly. Once installed, the front end is now even more solid and secure than it was before the modification... but it was a little nerve racking to do as I was totally in the dark about the process. Hope that helps!

It helped me dearly, i'm planning on getting an AK of some type soon, and that looks like a nice addition to an already beautiful rifle.

Thank you!

*fruitcage* hot! Hoppum :D

Made a gunrack for my Romanian beauties :D

akrackkr2.jpg

Edit: Thought i make a kit list:

Inokatsu AKM w real steel stock inkluding cleaningkit, handguards, sling, magazines, ammo, muzzlebrake.

Inokatsu AIMS limited w Real steel stock, handguards, gastube, sling, magazines, muzzlebrake.

Will keep adding stuff, still gonna get rearsights, gasblocks, frontsight (got one allready waiting for be modded), cleaning rods.

Edited by GRIM!
Made a gunrack for my Romanian beauties :D

Inokatsu AIMS limited w Real steel stock, handguards, gastube, sling, magazines, muzzlebrake.

Grim... as much as I like my new AK104... I still idealize your AIMS! Love it man... every time I see it.

Oh my someone gets it.

My baby in the rain,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/SAC...NewCamv5328.jpg

and my friends AK same location

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/SAC...NewCamv5332.jpg

It's a good idea to remove the gearbox before doing stuff like that, especially if you want to leave them out for a while to give them some weathering. Rusty AK - sweet, rusty internals - royal pain in the *albatross*.

woot! got my new VFC AKS74 (no sidemount FTW!) today, might be able to get some pics up tomorrow :)

just one problem, the stock doesnt seem... well... fixed. it doesnt seem to have been attached to the stock hinge in any way shape or form so the struts can freely wobble up and down. any idea what i can do to remedy it?

Just redid my aksu. Wasn't too happy about my previous weathering job, so I tried usmCorps method of respraying the whole thing ^^

Looks more realistic now imo, since it has flat black and shiny black parts now. By the way, I know a PK-A doesn't fit, but would a PK-AV fit an AKS74u? I noticed it sits remarkably higher, and might fit over the rear sights. Haven't managed to find a picture of an aksu with a PK-AV though.

DSC_2816.jpg

Just redid my aksu. Wasn't too happy about my previous weathering job, so I tried usmCorps method of respraying the whole thing ^^

Looks more realistic now imo, since it has flat black and shiny black parts now.

http://users.pandora.be/j3T/mil/DSC_2816.jpg

J3T, That looks way better! (For anyone that's curious, this is how it looked before). You did a great job refinishing the grips too!

J3T looking good! looks far better than before! what kind of varnish did you use on the front grips?

Levis clear varnish, leftover that I got from my grandpa. It's really shiny, I can almost see myself in it.

Thanks for the comments by the way ;)

Edited by j3T