AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Haha.

But unfortunately I have to agree. It does look rather horrible.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

well its comfortable, its a good support/suppresion of fire, also very manoverable.

Its personal preference though lol

Richard

Edited by chownsy

You know you love it :P

Just goes to show, in my view, that a AK can be functionally tacticool, but still stay true to a more "classic" AK look.

I've got a scope mount, laser, flash-light and vertical grip, all while keeping the wood and not using a rail system.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

Let me know thoughs people

DEAR GOD I'M BLIND!

no hard feelings chownsy, there are bound to be plenty of purists on this thread... who are obviously not going to approve. well if you're happy with it and it does the job well enough thats what matters :)

CZ: i think i've finally figured out what looks weird about your modded romy foregrip, it's not scalloped. i think that would make it look a lot less blocky.

comradeMP1: how much would you want for one of them? have you figured out a way around the grip angle problem and have you figured out a way to match up the finish a bit better?

comradeMP1: how much would you want for one of them? have you figured out a way around the grip angle problem and have you figured out a way to match up the finish a bit better?

Nope, because the way the motor cage is made I can't make any cuts that would really make space. The grip would need to be cut in a way where there would be motor cage sticking out of the pistol grip. So I can't really change the angle problem, only make it less noticable. It'll be hard to find a paint color to more closely matches the bakelite color, but it's close enough. The actually texture of the grip can be fixed me thinks. My friend builds lowrider bikes (ghetto,lol) and have seen bondo in action and looks like it could be a better material to work with than the wood filler. At least it would be flat apposed to being porous.

I'm still going to make a spacer that will make up for the 1/2 inch or so that is not covered because of the angle. Going to epoxy it to the grip, fill it in and work it to make it look more natural and paint.

I've got some people interested in having me make them one of these. I will do it for free. I'll just ask for the base (bakelite PG, cost about $5), build material funds (I still have some left overs from the build, I only need grind wheels $5, Sand paper and bondo), funds for return shipping, and some patience (I got other stuff to do to :)) I'll try my best to make it look presentable, but it's still a learning experience on my end. I've yet to test it for durability on the field, but I'm sure it'll be on tough piece.

Then there is the optional donation to the PMAC fund: Looking to arm those where there is revolt against imperialism. JK. Or I can take something in the form of a trade.

Edited by ComradeMP1

bondo would be the way forwards i think, once it's been smoothed out i reckon you could make it look almost seamless. as for the colour how about experimenting with a dappling effect with some dark varnish? real shame about the spacer, its the main thing that puts me off a RS converted grip

About weathering a RS-56:

use it. Use it really hard - sit on it, use it as a shovel, knock down doors with it, leave it lying on the ground when you are sleeping. It is so god damn tough it will stand up to all of it, and when you look at it in 6 months you will see memories of all the time you used it.

Real wear and tear beats all home-made bs.

Thats all well and good except the part were it broke the first time i fired it :P

i do get sent lemons from most of these companys <_<

Nope, because the way the motor cage is made I can't make any cuts that would really make space. The grip would need to be cut in a way where there would be motor cage sticking out of the pistol grip. So I can't really change the angle problem, only make it less noticable. It'll be hard to find a paint color to more closely matches the bakelite color, but it's close enough. The actually texture of the grip can be fixed me thinks. My friend builds lowrider bikes (ghetto,lol) and have seen bondo in action and looks like it could be a better material to work with than the wood filler. At least it would be flat apposed to being porous.

I'm still going to make a spacer that will make up for the 1/2 inch or so that is not covered because of the angle. Going to epoxy it to the grip, fill it in and work it to make it look more natural and paint.

I've got some people interested in having me make them one of these. I will do it for free. I'll just ask for the base (bakelite PG, cost about $5), build material funds (I still have some left overs from the build, I only need grind wheels $5, Sand paper and bondo), funds for return shipping, and some patience (I got other stuff to do to :)) I'll try my best to make it look presentable, but it's still a learning experience on my end. I've yet to test it for durability on the field, but I'm sure it'll be on tough piece.

Then there is the optional donation to the PMAC fund: Looking to arm those where there is revolt against imperialism. JK. Or I can take something in the form of a trade.

Got to be honest - why bother when it won't even fit against the body? Having the bakelite finish is all well and good but my Inokatsu pistol grip is really not far off the real finish. Your work is commendable and might have been handy 5 years ago but there are so many airsoft AKs and accessories now I don't see the point...

A real bakelite pistol grip doesn't feel any different from a good airsoft one apart from the width. There are various types available, the normal fibrous ones available on cheapsoft guns and better looking smooth ones that Inokatsu used to use on the wood AK74 and AKS74U kits. These are plum and incorporate the bakelite pattern with flakes in it. The bakelite mags have a different texture and are worth converting, these not so much (I did convert some real ones years ago including cutting out the chequered plates and inserting them into airsoft pistol grips). Sure you can fit this to a TM AK74M but it'll won't look as good as the normal TM one sprayed with a decent paint.