AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so the CYMA CM040 AK74M showed up today. It is not full steel, but it is made of awesomeness and win. It has the correct AK74 latch (which the DBoys does not) and a steel stock latch as well as trunnion. There is no stock wobble. The hopup is quality metal and it has a 6.04mm barrel stock. I have a chrono here somewhere, if I can find it I'll update with the velocity. Rear sight is 1000m marked, and has white paint in the numbers. Overall the quality seems to be really nice, easily better than the DBoys offering. It's a great value for the money. Don't know anything about the included stock battery, it's kind of nice (1400mAh, Intellect clone) but I don't know how well it will perform as I use LiPos and LiIons.

Orange tip courtesy of RSOV:

PICT0038.jpg

*edit - forgot to mention, the barrel trunnion is devoid of any markings. There's no factory mark, no serial, etc. I like that, actually, I think I'm gonna take it to get engraved with the Izmash mark and a custom serial.

*edit 2 - This gun hates MAG RPK midcaps, but will feed from any other AEG mag I have, including other MAG mids, a G&P midcap in an E. German shell, Unicorn, DBoys, CYMA (both 47 and 74), Marui, and G&G. Odd.

Edited by PlasticMag
Do you know that Izhmash produces "AK74" chambered in 7.62, with the skeleton stock ?

Not to mention the hundreds of custom jobs stateside, "khyber pass" and Uzbeki AKMs (although these often have an AKM flashider and gas block, they still have '74 sidefolding stocks). There are probably a couple thousand of those type of 7.62 chambering, 74 style sidefolders on the planet, so it's a valid mag choice. If you took an AK103, swapped the stock and furniture for that of an AK74, you'd have Ghost Leader's rifle, and it'd only take you like twenty minutes to do.

Not to mention the hundreds of custom jobs stateside, "khyber pass" and Uzbeki AKMs (although these often have an AKM flashider and gas block, they still have '74 sidefolding stocks). There are probably a couple thousand of those type of 7.62 chambering, 74 style sidefolders on the planet, so it's a valid mag choice. If you took an AK103, swapped the stock and furniture for that of an AK74, you'd have Ghost Leader's rifle, and it'd only take you like twenty minutes to do.

veeeeeery veeery "smart" reply. If you consider the custom jobs as a argument you may run around with a hair dryer and calling it "my motofoka custom ak" 

you need to uderstand that there are "unwriten rules" that are used to identify AKs, ofcourse you can do what ever you waaaant with your AK but dont go around AK purist and using that cheap argument about Real steal customs

veeeeeery veeery "smart" reply. If you consider the custom jobs as a argument you may run around with a hair dryer and calling it "my motofoka custom ak"

you need to uderstand that there are "unwriten rules" that are used to identify AKs, ofcourse you can do what ever you waaaant with your AK but dont go around AK purist and using that cheap argument about Real steal customs

Arguably, yes, but that would be silly; the reality is, in airsoft terms (and to some degree, rs), theres little to nothing to differentiate between the posted AK and, for instance, this Saiga, which is the aforementioned Izhmash product (an AK103);

ak103_skeleton.jpeg

My point was it's a little silly to get bogged down in "wrong mag!" semantics when, either through mass manufacture or one off custom jobs, people are using real steel versions of pretty much that rifle.

Edited by Crumbelievable

After spending over an hour reading every post of this thread, I have decided on a Kalashnikov. They are truely amazing. I'm thinking about either getting a Dboys AK74S, a Dboys AKS74U, or a Dboys AK74. Yeah, I love wood furniture.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Will MAG midcap magazines work with these guns? How hard will it be to install aftermarket/RS parts, incase I ever get really into the AK scene (which I hope to). Can someone link me to a good sling, preferably RS? Thanks...

Edited by Rambo Kid

dboys guns need a bit of filing on the mag catch for most mags to fit.

if you want to put RS parts on you could always look into getting the new cyma AK74M (like plasticmag's, just up the page) cyma internals are nicer and if what he says is true so is the build quality of the new guns. just swap out the furniture for a skeleton stock and some wood handguards.

oh, on both of them RS handguards will fit with little to no mods.

dboys guns need a bit of filing on the mag catch for most mags to fit.

if you want to put RS parts on you could always look into getting the new cyma AK74M (like plasticmag's, just up the page) cyma internals are nicer and if what he says is true so is the build quality of the new guns. just swap out the furniture for a skeleton stock and some wood handguards.

oh, on both of them RS handguards will fit with little to no mods.

Thanks!

Ok, I guess I'll get one of these and slap a skeleton stock and a RS wood handguard on there. Is the battery located in the stock? If so, how hard would it be to relocate it to where ever it would go with a sleleton stock? Where can I find a good (steel preferably) skeleton stock and some RS wood handguards? What would I have to do to install the skeleton stock? Is it as easy as just removing the full stock and replacing it with the skeleton one?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just excited about purchasing my first Kalashnikov.

Edited by Rambo Kid

first off, ignore that one. that one is all pot metal. this is what you're after: http://rsov.com/index.php?target=products&...product_id=3230

this one is made with a good helping of steel :) oh, and the batter is under the reciever cover.

the stock is as easy as knocking out the pin and attaching the stock. email these folk: http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/index.html

they tend to sell handguards, i i should imagine could sort you out with a stock as well :)

first off, ignore that one. that one is all pot metal. this is what you're after: http://rsov.com/index.php?target=products&...product_id=3230

this one is made with a good helping of steel :) oh, and the batter is under the reciever cover.

the stock is as easy as knocking out the pin and attaching the stock. email these folk: http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/index.html

they tend to sell handguards, i i should imagine could sort you out with a stock as well :)

Do you know of any US based retailer that carrys the Cyma 040C AK74M? I need to order it ASAP (so it will get here before Christmas) and I don't think RSOV will get it to me in time.

not that i know of i'm afraid. it's only a recent release in hong kong :(

if you NEED it before christmas then your best bet would be a Dboys (no point in swapping stocks, just get an AKS74), express shipping from HK can be as little as 3-4 days so it could get to you in time. the RK.01S is their only full steel model at the moment by the way, try not to confuse it with their other AKSU (same name minus the S at the end, sometimes falsely stated as full steel).

if you were going for an authentic russian impression it might be worth bearing in mind that an AKS74 would be the most versatile.

edit: beat ya :P

Edited by my_plague_666