AK & Variants Picture Thread

I gotta admit, I think they look even worse. Why not get the new generation Dboys grips? Laminated wood.

alright, ha i got another set, ima make the others dark red, like the ones you see on real steel. becuase i dont want to pay $30 for grips >.< id rather pay like 40 bucks more and get some real ones...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been at this for way too long :)

And here's another one i just finished.......

ak7.jpg

ak8.jpg

it's a GHK AK74SU with real steel wooden grips and plum real steel pistol grip (requires modding to fit). I have the WE M4 (cheers Skippie) and this and the recoil on the AK is much stronger.

Ok all I need to do now is finish the Tabuk..then the AK103...then....

Once again Jesus, I always fail to have as many AKs as you. :( Very nice collection how long has it been since you started, or more like how much $$$ :lol:

Hey guys I just got my Kalash AK-74m today via UPS. I'm wondering what this trap door in the stock is, it's above the push-button to unlock the stock when it's folded.

Also my flashhider refuses to come off, it's in there tight, any tricks to get it off?

Edited by ST19AG_WGreymon

very easy to fit, only issue i had was i had to replace the magazine release catch with the dboys version as the vfc one is a bit to short for the mags the sit a little low, the mags are designed for dboys, normally you have to file the mag release down to fit most normal aeg mags, opposite is true this way around

Hey guys I need some help. On my Kalash AK-74 there's a pin that holds the lower handguard catch in place. It's designed wrong though. If you want I can get pics. It doesn't hold the handguard catch in place. The barrel has an indent to it, but the pin does too. It's not suppoed to be like that. If you guys need pics I'll show you.

The pin should have an indent... It swivels out of the way, and locks into the handguard to keep it in place.

Wouldn't it be smart to have the pin not have an indent? So that it locks in to the indent in the barrel?

EDIT: I've put together my first upgrade package for this gun, how does it look:

akupgrade.jpg

Edited by ST19AG_WGreymon
ST19 - You don't pull it out... It rotates in the retainer....

Why waste the money on the metal hopup? Also, the stock spring guide is fine, you don't need to upgrade that. Just get bearings and shims.

I'll take up your advice on the upgrades.

I'm not pulling it out, but I find it weird that both the barrel and pin are indented.

Wouldn't it be smart to have the pin not have an indent? So that it locks in to the indent in the barrel?

when its indent to indent the front retainer ring can slide forward to allow removal of the lower handguard.

When you rotate the lever thru 180 degrees the non-indented side of the lever then keys against the indent on the barrel - holding the front retainer in place, preventing it from moving forward and locks the lower handguard

when its indent to indent the front retainer ring can slide forward to allow removal of the lower handguard.

When you rotate the lever thru 180 degrees the non-indented side of the lever then keys against the indent on the barrel - holding the front retainer in place, preventing it from moving forward and locks the lower handguard

But why is it when it's in it's "stock" position it's using the indent side of the pin?

A because you need to turn it thru 180 degrees or

B because you're fitting it in from the opposite side from the one they intended - VFC first produced an AKSU and they put the lever to the left of the barrel (so it wouldnt clash with the muzzle break detente spring housing which is on the right hand side of the AKSU front sight base)

However rather than just taking a normal 'fits from the right hand side of the barrel and points inwards' lever and fitting it from the left hand side (so that it would lock pointing forwards as Tula did for the real ones) VFC reversed it and cut the cam indent so that it 'fits from the left hand side of the barrel but still points inwards'

Not sure if VFC have ever altered that when they moved onto their other models, but by sounds of it Dboys may have kept that 'fits from the left and points inwards' style (which they cloned from the VFC AKSU) for all their AK series rifles (which means if you try to 'fit it from the right hand side and have it pointing inwards' then it'll be in the unlocked position)

Edited by snorkelman
A because you need to turn it thru 180 degrees or

B because you're fitting it in from the opposite side from the one they intended - VFC first produced an AKSU and they put the lever to the left of the barrel (so it wouldnt clash with the muzzle break detente spring housing which is on the right hand side of the AKSU front sight base)

However rather than just taking a normal 'fits from the right hand side of the barrel and points inwards' lever and fitting it from the left hand side (so that it would lock pointing forwards as Tula did for the real ones) VFC reversed it and cut the cam indent so that it 'fits from the left hand side of the barrel but still points inwards'

Not sure if VFC have ever altered that when they moved onto their other models, but by sounds of it Dboys may have kept that 'fits from the left and points inwards' style (which they cloned from the VFC AKSU) for all their AK series rifles (which means if you try to 'fit it from the right hand side and have it pointing inwards' then it'll be in the unlocked position)

Here are some pics, taken with my PSP camera:

Lower handguard retainer:

DSC00618.jpg

Lower handguard retainer moved forward to show indent in barrel:

DSC00619.jpg

Locking pin, note that it is indented also:

DSC00621.jpg

Pin "locked" in. It doesn't really do anything as both the barrel and pin are indented. The retainer is free to move forward. However when the top handguard is in, the retainer doesn't move, it does jiggle a teeny weeny bit though.

DSC00622.jpg

I've tried moving the pin so that it uses the non-indented side and it actually locks in, the retainer does not jiggle. However the pin would be pointing downwards.

DSC00625.jpg

DSC00624.jpg

right I can see whats going on now I was forgetting that the AK74 handguard's front ring only has a cutaway for the lever on the right hand side (which means you cant fit it from the left on those)

If you hold it the way you have in that picture then for it to be able to 'fit from the righthand side of the barrel AND point backwards towards the pistol grip while locked' then the indent would need to be cut on the top while the non indented area would be at the bottom

As it stands that ones only going to 'lock while pointing backwards towards the pistol grip' on an AKSU (where it can be fitted in from the left hand side of the barrel)

I've checked thru my photos and the only VFC I've got photos of with that reversed design is my prerelease AKSU, so best bet would be to source a VFC or real steel one (assuming the diameter of the dboys one matches those)