AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TMs are overpriced for what you get. externally they feel cheap and nasty compared to the tonnes of better guns out there nowadays and internally, they're perfectly reliable as long as you dont touch the internals (and that means staying at about 280 fps), once you upgrade a TM its no more reliable than just about anything else so TM fanboys' claims of unmatched reliability are irrelevant. it was great for it's time but theres better out there now.

if you can afford it why not look into the likes of the realsword type 56?

edit: regarding the 9.6V battery, TMs are designed for low power, low ROF use. those cheap pot metal gears will hold up under a weak spring and 8.4V battery, but up the ROF or FPS and they're likely to fail. it's happened to 3 people i know.

Meh.

That's the TM hater viewpoint.

If you're going to upgrade anyway, I'd rather start with a TM. At least I know it has a decent finish that won't flake off from just a touch, and all the parts fit together properly, which is more than you can say for a lot of the clones floating around out there.

Plus, they're made for sensible FPS limits, and they're Japanese.

BUTTTTT I'd go with a RealSword! I've been wanting one for ages. They look like the ultimate AK's.

Ben.

At least I know it has a decent finish that won't flake off from just a touch, and all the parts fit together properly, which is more than you can say for a lot of the clones floating around out there.

clones have impoved a lot, if i was offered a TM or one of the latest cymas for free i'd take the cyma without a moment's hesitation.

besides, if you're that paranoid about clones just buy another vastly superior high end brand. the TM was good when it was the only AK around, then other companies figured out that it's possible to make nicer replicas. everyone else has upped their game and left TM behind (this includes most clones now too IMO)

as for the FPS, skirmishing at 280 isnt unreasonable, but why would you actively choose to when you've got another 70 odd FPS to play with? better range, punches through foliage better etc. it wouldnt be so bad if by buying a TM you sacrificed internals for brilliant externals. but no. TM externals are frankly by todays standards quite cheap and nasty.

Thanks for letting me know ;)

What is the difference between an AIM and an AIMS? Isn't an AIMS the one with the weird triangular(sp) folding stock?

yup. if an AK has 'S' in the name it means it has a folding stock :)

That's the TM hater viewpoint.

If you're going to upgrade anyway, I'd rather start with a TM. At least I know it has a decent finish that won't flake off from just a touch, and all the parts fit together properly, which is more than you can say for a lot of the clones floating around out there.

rofl, and your viewpoint is from someone who hasnt tested the water in 2 years.

below is my originally TM AK, that has gone through many changes in the past 4 years, and my CYMA AKM, both are great performers, except my AKM cost 1/7 the overall cost of the TM, and is actually far more accurate on semi. All it took was a madbull 110, and a Prometheus 455. Its now been to two nationals and 40 games, with 70,000 rnds through it, internally, still in great shape.

NewCamv6343copy.jpg

NewCamv6348copy.jpg

NewCamv6350copy.jpg

NewCamv6353copy.jpg

I had a tm spetz with a drum mag, back in the day.

I was a noob.. I quickly learned and moved on from there.

Nothing but midcaps gets into my ak's now, unless its my rpk, which I keep one drum mag and 4 rpk mids:)

And by work quite well, they will work as well as any other aeg with a drum mag put in..

Quicker wear of the internals from prolonged fire.

Edited by Blood-Clot
i mean if you were to use a drum mag with them, would they work quite well?

Not really, no, to make a good support weapon you need a few things:

• A big magazine.
  • A more powerfull spring, i'd go with M130 or above.
  • A reasonably long barrel.
  • Atleast a 7mm Gearbox filled with strong hi-quality internals.
  • As much battery as you can get, with as much voltage as you can get.

Thing is, drum mags and all the other things that go with the territory of a support weapon are fairly heavy, you will get your posteriour handed to you on a platter if you try to use them in CQB, what you really need is to put some range between you and the target, and be able to pepper them with BB's with fairly good accuracy from your intended safety range.

This requires more barrel, and a good one at that, plus more spring power, and due to the wear of prolonged fiering, the gearbox needs to be quite beefy indeed, 8mm steel bearings would be a good start, Systema magnum, Prometheus gears, reinforced tappet, a MosFet would be choice, you might also want a more beefy contact set.. building a really good support weapon is not cheap, and starting off with a TM, where you would have to replace allmost everything on the gun to get there does not make sense.

If you really want to be a Support gunner, you might aswell start out with an LCT RPK kit, and then assemble a great gearbox yourself, possibly using an Action gearbox (8 or 9 mm).

rofl, and your viewpoint is from someone who hasnt tested the water in 2 years.

Yes. Quite. 'rofl', I suppose. <_<

Hmmm... Apart from starting airsoft with TM's, which still work today, about 4 - 5 years on.

I bought a Kalash AKS74U. That broke on the second time I used it. And the paint is fairly thin. And the wood is cheap. The internals weren't amazing. I could go on.

CYMA guns are meant to be slightly more reliable, but that trades off with them having a slighty ###### finish.

I accepted these things because I understand that they're called 'clones' to seperate them from more expensive, better quality 'proper' guns, not just because they're complete copies of TM designs (should give you a hint as to how innovate/great TM actually are).

All my TM's have great finishes, the parts are well made, and nothing has broken on any of them in the years of use they've seen as 'lend' guns for mates/family to play with, etc. Also, never had a problem with the FPS, but I understand some people want to be right up against the limit; it's up to them really.

If I wanted another AK right now, I'd go TM or RealSword. Probably TM... Awesome HOP!

Butttt seeing as I mainly use my Tanaka guns anyway, :P

Ben.

Stuff was written here..

Lets stop this now, this is not the thread for it, if you want to we can continue this elsewhere, and i'll gladly argue with you some more, just not here.

Has anyone ever seen a ribbed machine cover on an RPK? was wondering about putting one on mine...

Russian RPK's used the smooth cover, but some Eastblock copies did use the ribbed one, i have seen them on Romy's for instance.

I'd go with the LCT ones, 'tis steel, they look good, and you can buy them sepperately.

ahh the old "wot am best AK?" question.

Well I have a few an you all probably know :P

Here's my run down of AK makers and the models they make:

1. Mauri - older models are pretty outdated now and make mostly from plastic. The gearbox is reliable because it fires at around 270 FPS. to make it fire higher you need to add a new spring and metal bushings to keep the reliability high. you can go mad with version 3 upgrades but these 2 things will run the AEG well for years.

The newer models are actually really nice. They can't handle upgrades to the battery too well simply because of space so that is a downside but the blowback is a nice feature so that is a plus point.

TM AK47 7/10 takes a large battery and has a good hop

TM AK47S 6.5/10 this gets slightly less as the metal plate inside the receiver that is part of the stock assembly doesn't like to be taken apart too many times and the threads on the 2 screw holes will thread eventually. replacement parts are hard to find if this breaks.

TM Spetz 7/10 pretty much the same as the AK47 but has a shorter barrel. I had one but got rid of it however if CBQ is your thing then this is a good buy.

TM AK74M 8/10 good hop, good power (290-300FPS) and the blow back feature.

TM AK74SU 7/10 same as the above but let down by the plastic "wood effect" front grips which can't be swapped with RS parts because of the space for the battery.

TM AK Spetz limited edition 7/10 it's just a spetz without a stock

Kalash AK's have a bit of a dodgy reputation which is pretty unfounded. Out of the thousands sold a few have had metal failures and rumours of a bad gearbox are often quoted. I haven't seen a bad gearbox yet in a Kalash and I have taken quite a few apart which brings us to the next thing about them. They all fire too hot for UK sites so the spring needs to be swapped out for something smaller. I usually either use a M95 or M100 depending on the compression in the cylinder to get a FPS of around 330.

There is a few versions of the Kalash with the earlier ones having "pot metal which breaks when you look at it" and some models have metal parts instead of the pot metal. if you feel that you must have a metal one then go buy one however the pot metal ones work just as well. I abuse my Kalash's on the field and the pot metal still hasn't crumbled in my hands. The onlly things I do when I buy a Kalash is sort out the spring, fit a tightbore and have a play with the hop but I pretty much do that with most of my AEG's

Kalash AK74 - 8/10 nice looks and a good weight

Kalash AKS74 - nice finish, nice weight 8/10

Kalash AK74Su - same as the above

Kalash AK74M - again same as the above

I imagine all the other Kalash models will pretty much be the same however I have noticed that the outer finish on different models varies from a reflective black finish (similar to VFC) to a dull black patterned finish. Snorkelman can tell you better which one is closer to the real thing however from a purely skirmishing point the Kalash is a good buy.

CYMA - the older CYMA models are rubbish! but before you bite my head off remember that the first CYMA AEG's were actually LPEG's. The newer models are actually quite good but I think they are let down but the flat black finish they have. The gearbox's are pretty good as well and don't really need much doing to them apart from a spring change to make them suitable for UK limits. If I'm going to fit a gearbox to a Inokatsu/Guarder/LCT I will use a CYMA one simply because the Kalash/Dboyi's gearbox's don't come with the top receiver retainer.

CYMA AK74M - 7/10 nice AEG but let down buy the plastic receiver

CYMA AK47 - 7/10 it's a copy of the TM and has all the downsides of the older types of TM models.

Again I'm not going to list all the CYMA models as they are all the same internals inside a different shell

VFC AK's are my favourite for a couple of reasons. They look great, feel great and surprisingly you can add a LIPO battery without any other modification. I have fired something like 30,000 bb's through a VFC AKS74 using a LIPO and it's still going strong. Adding RS parts to the VFC AK's is simple however the side rail for adding a RS scope is slightly too small but can be over come in a couple of ways. The only internal upgrades I do to a VFC is add a madbull tightbore for better accuracy.

VFC AKS74 9/10

VFC AK74SU 9/10

Inokatsu/Guarder/LCT are all just shells which you need to add a gearbox, hop and barrel to. They will only fire as well as the bits you put inside. externally they look great and feel fantastic. If you buy one with the gearbox etc already installed it's most likely going to be a CYMA gearbox which as mentioned above is a good little gearbox. If I buy one I usually add a CYMA gearbox, element AK hop with 45 hop rubber and H nub along with a madbull tightbore. this works for me and is just my own choice.

Ino/Guarder/LCT AK47 9/10 if you put the right bits inside

Ino/Guarder/LCT AIMS same as the above

Ino/Guarder/LCT AMD 65 same as the above

Ino/Guarder/LCT RPK same as the above

JG AK's are another brand and to be honest are very similar to the original models they have copied. The gearbox seems similar to a CYMA one and have all the same highs and lows of the CYMA/TM models. The stocks on the AK47S seem a bit weaker than on the TM version but that may just be down to cheaper pot metal being used (I thought pot metal was well pot metal but it seems you can have good pot metal and bad pot metal.)

Unicorn made some AK models and I have the AK74SU model. it's just a shell that you need to add parts to however I love the finish of the Unicorn AK. It seems to be blued steel and if you want to make a worn abused AK this is the best shell to do this to. I would only recommend a Unicorn to someone handy with AEG's as they require a bit of work to get the best from them.

Unicorn AK74SU 7/10

GHK GBB AK74SU - Hmm is my opinion right now. I will update that at some point but right now Hmm!!

GHK GBB AK74SU 1/10 to 9/10 and if it stops breaking and the mags stop leaking then it will get a solid result and if it doesn't then it's getting hit with a big hammer.

ICS AK's are the underdogs of the AK world now. The first one released was a AK74M but didn't have a folding full stock which seemed to upset some people. The gearbox's are reliable and the externals are similar in finish to a CYMA. The pistol grip is a downside as it's pretty thick however you can swap this will a LCT one for very little money.

ICS AK74M 7/10 let down by not being as accurate as it could be.

Lastly we come to the Real Sword AK's and I have nothing to say about them as I have never owned one. I've held one and I was impressed and I'm planning on getting one but I will leave the recommendations to someone else who has one.

Oh and I have nothing to add about Classic army AK's as I've never seen one never mind touched one. does anyone actually own one? do they actually exist? They might be the best AK ever and I'm wasting my time with all the rest. or maybe not!

And to keep this thread current here's a picture of some AK's

middleageak74.jpg

romanianakm.jpg

vfcak74.jpg

and I think I'm going to lie down for a while now after writting this :)

Edited by mightyjebus

The CA's are not worth it, they are 90% LCT clones, assembled in exactly the same way, but, they are not fully LCT compatible (their barrels, and also barrel trunions/Frontsight/Gaschamber are thinner), and they don't have all the innovations of the LCT's, for instance, there is no hole drilled in the barrel to assemble the front sight, its just held on like that gaschamber is, it comes with an ugly TM-style bolt carrier (made exactly the same way, just uglier, much like the ones on early black CYMA BC's), the top-cover is just painted black, and the the rest of the guns finish is nowhere near as nice as LCT's.

The grips and stocks are also solid wood, but the usual softwood you see on Airsoft guns, not very durrable.

The gearboxes are nice though, 7mm steel bushings, steel gears, nothing wrong with thouse, but the external of the gun just leaves you thinking "Ehh, i should have spend a little more and gotten a propper LCT instead".