AK & Variants Picture Thread

The CA SLR-105 series, in terms of build and take-down, are almost a TM clone. Metal body was nice, but the fact it was advertised as full metal yet had a plastic rear sight block was a let-down. I liked the black plastic furniture mine came with (minus the aftermarket front grips), had a nice texture. Somehow the pistol grip seemed even thicker than the TM one, but nowhere near as chunky as the G&P wood one I had. It also wobbled a bit more.

Internally the mechbox could be tempermental. My only upgrade was a tightbore barrel for accuracy and range. Definatly not up to TM standards of reliability in its' stock form. The sound it made was also slightly whiney if that makes sense, like a very high pitched sewing machine. This could have been due to the impressive ROF though. Overall I was happy with my CA, but lately I'd have to chose one of the new model CYMA AKMs or similar, simply in terms of getting what you paid for. (~$300 Canadian for the CYMA, vs. $600+ for a CA. Our prices are ridiculous due to import restrictions)

To keep it on topic:

n650936396_401164_6308.jpg

Top is the CA SLR-105 previously mentioned.

Bottom is FMU TM.

n650936396_1365511_6538.jpg

Only one I could find of my current AEG. Aftermath Kraken parts with Crosman R76 tossed in for folding stock. Modify parts inside.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that was the first model, with plastic grips, that was a TM clone, and people have had quite a few problems with them.

To their credit, the later CA models with wood grips are better, both internally and externally, and are based on the LCT/Inokatsu system, but.. they are not that cheap, spending a little more will get you a propper LCT and it is just flat out better.

CYMA AK74M - 7/10 nice AEG but let down buy the plastic receiver

CYMA AK47 - 7/10 it's a copy of the TM and has all the downsides of the older types of TM models.

Again I'm not going to list all the CYMA models as they are all the same internals inside a different shell

by AK74M i assume you mean their old AK74? they're not all the same internals nowadays. their latest internals are pretty much fully upgraded out of the box (tightbore, metal bushings, metal spring guide, steel gears), nice shimming too. the newer ones are VFC clones, externally slightly better than Dboys, and with a steel stock latch.

alternatively you could wait for the newer AKM to be released. VFC clone, good steel content and proper laminated wood :)

If you talk about this

cm048m4.jpg

certainly is a nice upgrade, but the quality of the steel is yet to be seen, and the wood is also nice, but still solid, not laminated.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...TrUrl=Translate

I guess you can't ask for laminated wood and a retail price over 150$.

If you talk about this

certainly is a nice upgrade, but the quality of the steel is yet to be seen, and the wood is also nice, but still solid, not laminated.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...TrUrl=Translate

I guess you can't ask for laminated wood and a retail price over 150$.

it is most definitely laminated. solid wood doesnt have that colour changing effect due to the many layers of wood. also the steel will probably be the same as on their current AK74M/105 series, which is apparently pretty good. besides, any steel is better than pot metal.

Isn't that how it is on real AK's? Laminated stock and lower handguard and hard wood upper handguard? That's how my LCT is at least, sans stock of course since it's an AKS.

Nope, its all laminated on the real ones, sadly, this latest CYMA also has incorrect front grips (they are 1985-1986 style AK-74 grips, not AKM grips).

Kalash AK's have a bit of a dodgy reputation which is pretty unfounded. Out of the thousands sold a few have had metal failures and rumours of a bad gearbox are often quoted. I haven't seen a bad gearbox yet in a Kalash and I have taken quite a few apart which brings us to the next thing about them.

Mine failed virtually out of the box, and has thus far gone through two spur gears, a piston, and a spring guide. Oh, btw, it has a King Arms 1J spring in it ;)

Would you recommend the TM AKS74U over the MN? I like the compact look, but I always thought you could replace the plastic handguards with wood?

Ben.

Nope, its all laminated on the real ones, sadly, this latest CYMA also has incorrect front grips (they are 1985-1986 style AK-74 grips, not AKM grips).

i dont think the solid upper matters too much, it doesnt stand out like the other parts.

shame about the AK74 HGs too, although it's overall undeniably a nicer offering than the current gun (which is still good)

i dont think the solid upper matters too much, it doesnt stand out like the other parts.

Certainly, on the real uppers you only see the laminate at the very bottom of the grip as a slight variation on colour, so its no big deal.

Besides, if we want to get really nerdy about this, we could also complain that the lower only has the layers going one way, instead of changing direction at the base.. but really, its a cheapsoft, holding it to such high standards seems rather unreasonable ;)

shame about the AK74 HGs too, although it's overall undeniably a nicer offering than the current gun (which is still good)

This is a tad more unfortunate, as its a lot more noticeable than a solid upper, and an error that could easilly have been avoided by CYMA with a little research.. still, its no disaster, 74 and AKM grips are interchangable, so i guess it could allways be explained away by "the grip broke, and it was replaced with 74 grips as thouse where the only ones in stock".. or something.

Anyway, this page has dragged a bit off topic (that beeing pictures), and i'm partly to blame, so i might aswell share some eyecandy, even if it isen't brand new material.

My sights, the POSP 2,5-5x24 zoom mag, and PK-AV laid side by side:

POSPvsPKAV.jpg

This is what my AIMS looked like, before i decided that its russian markings made it better suited for a modded AKM:

Takti2.jpg

And here's the group phote in my avatar in big:

AKpile.jpg

And another shot of the MD-90:

AIMSS3.jpg

I'll have more on that one soon'ish (IE: when my order washes up on the danish shores).

sorry to hear your Klash has been giving you so much trouble. you might want to just by CYMA gearbox and drop that in.

The hand guards on the short TM AK74SU can't be swapped with RS as the wood would end up about 2mm thick on the sides after modding to fit a battery in. gripping them tightly would probably end up with them splitting.

Mine failed virtually out of the box, and has thus far gone through two spur gears, a piston, and a spring guide. Oh, btw, it has a King Arms 1J spring in it ;)

Would you recommend the TM AKS74U over the MN? I like the compact look, but I always thought you could replace the plastic handguards with wood?

Ben.

I'm not sure what it is yet Grobut, but I'm realy digging that MD-90 thank you for the eye candy.

Well, what's not to like? its an AKM with all the tasty goodness that comes with that, paired with a coathanger, which is probably the best of the AK folding stocks ;)

Though i'm still unsure what to call it.. the real MD-90 does look like this, it was basically a civilian version of the AIMS with a normal AKM style front grip, however, mine is not semi-only, and it has Russian markings and a scope mount, so its more an AKMN with an aftermarket stock fitted really, but calling it that is a bit of a mouthfull.

One of my buddies offered me a 1 year old TM AK47 for 60 bucks so I had to buy it. Do the LCT kits, fit the TM gearbox? Or is there any kit that will fit the TM? The external are rubbish, but 60 bucks for an AK? I couldn't pass up a sale :P