AK & Variants Picture Thread

the idea for my AKS came from these photos...

as you can see... paint is very few or none!!!!

thats rust. you'll never achieve that with your current AKS74 as most of the front end is pot metal. if you bought the full steel model you could strip all the paint off and leave it in saltwater, but even then you'd have to fake the rusting on the barrel (which is still pot metal), there is a way to corrode aluminium. ancorp (i think) did it to his insurgent AK, perhaps you should have a chat with him.

in fact the gun in general is a pretty poor choice. you wont see an AKS74 in the hands of african militia and the like. they tend not to find their way into the hands of rebels who dont look after them.

@yuri: actually only the first and possibly third ones will have been blued. AKMs are painted

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@yuri: actually only the first and possibly third ones will have been blued. AKMs are painted

That's news to me. I figured most of them where blued. Aso what do you mean by first and third?

I was looking at those pictures more closely and noticed that indeed the guns that seem to have a blued surface and are very badly rusted aren't Russian AK's. Like the type 56 for example. It's strange how the gun is junk but the bayonet is pristine.

Took you??? <_<:angry:

Or took me??? ;);)

You spend all day walking around with your wife!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

For punishment you will have to find me a AK for a good price :)

yes it does work... :P:P:P:P

the gun was not rusted...

its only a paintjob... and a good one... :D:D:D:D:D

it was made using some pigments, them mixed with some clear paint (varnish?? is this term correct? :rolleyes: )

aplied in several coats of diferent colours... and VOILA.. instant rust...

cheers

Yes, but it wasn't too difficult to fix. I took a little Goof Off and squirted it into the space between the flashider and the 14mm thread adapter inside the flash hider, let it sit for a few minutes, and then gently giggled the flashider back and forth until that little grub screw worked it's way loose and I could unscrew the flashider without damaging the threads underneath. Once the flashider was off I just took a pair of pliers and removed that little grub screw so as not to cause future problems.

For the retaining pin, mine is very sticky. To make it go in you have to position a screw driver or some other device up against it and gently (I repeat, "gently") tap the back of the screw driver with a hammer. To make the pin go back out, take off the upper handguard and you'll see the pin poking out the back of the front sight, just do the same thing with the screwdriver and hammer to make it go forward again. Once again, be very gentle. The cast steel front sight can form a crack around the 2 pins that hold it to the barrel if you're too rough on it. I have not had this problem, as I was very gentle with it, but I have seen others who have.

Now my turn to ask a question...

The LCT/Inokatsu pistol grips and handguards, are they compatible with VFC system AK-74s?

(The other person you heard it from was me "Arakizuki" on ASR.)

Yeah I got mine off and dremeled the grub bit away. Too bad my threads took a little damage. My dad cracked exactly where you said it can and now it's only hanging on because of the flash hider.. I'm guessing I can replace the front sight with a VFC one? I don't like having the Cyma's issues.

Edited by WL-Matt