AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I got the selector part with mine (yay) ...but no sign of a hop up unit (pooh) :(

on further investigation I also got:

A gas release valve on the mag that has a spring with next to zero strength to it, so it didnt close the valve and instead just blew gas

A front mag tube cap that unscrews from the front mag tube (leaving the tube attached to the valve block rather than unscrewing the tube, and preventing the valve block from being removed from the mag shell) Meant I had to tackle the valve while the valve block was still in the mag shell

a bolt assembly that has one of its three lugs pointing inwards towards the chamber and looking like its hairline cracked (straight out of the box)

Parts themselves fitted together easily enough into an early dboys aksu Only issue was the pistol grip assembly had a tendency to creep forwards and foul the trigger assembly as the pistolgrips retaining bolt was being tightened (just had to keep plenty of rearwards pressure on the grip as I tightened the bolt).

1 take baseplate off by depressing small plastic pin visible thru metal base plate of the mag (be careful as you slide the base plate off as that small pin is also base of the mag feed spring)

2 With plate off remove plastic pin and feed spring

what (should) happen next:

3 unscrew rearmost alluminium tube (one with feed valve in it) far as I got thanks to base of the next tube coming free from the tube rather than unscrewing tube from the valve block

4 unscrew front aluminium tube the one with plain slotted base

5 remove the two unscrewed tubes from the mag shell

6 at top of the mag knock the steel thru-pin thru

7 remove valve block (I think it pushes up and the arcs off)

8 remove valve from valve block

bear in mind the inner tubes are just alloy and I expect would be really easy to cross thread I'd leave em in one piece until you really have to work on them theres no one piece internal frame as per a AEG midcap so if you were to want to rehuse inside a real mag you'ld have various things to do - not least create a BB feedtube and feed spring for starters