Soldering Techniques for Airsoft

infected

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know a lot of you have had problems with soldering deans connectors and mosfets as well as triggers and motors, so I put together a little how to video to show you how it's done!

Link:

Soldering Techniques for Airsoft

Nice video. Some comments:

Your voice is overly soothing, stop that >< I had to catch myself from falling asleep, not because it wasent entertaining but because the music combo and the voice was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too soothing :P

45+ W iron? Really? I went cheap with my soldering equiment and honestly my 9.99$ Radio Shack 15W iron does extremely well compared to several friends 40+ W irons. I think the key is to have a good tip to begin with and good solder and flux to help out. I do alot of rewiring and even though I'm no pro at it my 15W does just fine for airsoft applications and the solder I use (Radio shack special mind you :P).

Good Video though I enjoyed it and look forward to using some of the tips to help the next rewire go more smoothly!

Nice video. Some comments:

Your voice is overly soothing, stop that >< I had to catch myself from falling asleep, not because it wasent entertaining but because the music combo and the voice was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too soothing :P

Actually, I was tired of working on AEG's all week, I think I was burned out and over mellow :D but just admit you think my voice is sexy.

45+ W iron? Really? I went cheap with my soldering equiment and honestly my 9.99$ Radio Shack 15W iron does extremely well compared to several friends 40+ W irons. I think the key is to have a good tip to begin with and good solder and flux to help out. I do alot of rewiring and even though I'm no pro at it my 15W does just fine for airsoft applications and the solder I use (Radio shack special mind you :P ).

Good point. A good tip is VERY important. I've been using the same soldering iron for years, so I couldn't remember what wattage is best. I know the 15w one I have in the closet sucks. I will say, it's better to have one that's too hot (when doing work that doesn't require precision), than not hot enough. Quick and clean solder joints are much better than sloppy ones made by not having enough heat.

Good Video though I enjoyed it and look forward to using some of the tips to help the next rewire go more smoothly!

Yeah my Radioshack one is holding out fine. I had a buddy who picked up another 15W one and replaced his 30W one and is having much better soldering joints. It must be the awesome conical tip they gave with it. Actually the entire thing satisfies everything I need it for so I'm not complaining. Although I have noted some solder does not stick to some Deans Connectors without some slight sanding to rough up the surface. I noted this extensivly when using my buddies 45W iron and trying to use my Radioshack 96/4 Silver solder. Switched to the 15W and it went on just fine :)

Sexy is stretching it... I dont find guy's voices sexy, soothing, fine, sexy no no :waggle:

I'm glad to hear that you guys enjoyed it. I hope to be making more videos soon. I'm really new to the world of video editing... so the next one might be a minute, but don't worry, there'll be more. Also, don't forget to poke about my website (see sig line), for more info and goodies. You can also subscribe to my website for updates on new content (see link in the right column of the website).

• 2 weeks later...
is anyone else finding the video has stopped working?

You must be using Firefox. If you use IE it works fine. For some reason firefox won't play it (probably because of the ad blocker plus plugin I have)

You must be using Firefox. If you use IE it works fine. For some reason firefox won't play it (probably because of the ad blocker plus plugin I have)

it works fine in firefox its not that - must be something else as i can view it at work ok... perhaps im missing a plugin of some sort. doesnt work in IE either. ah well leave it with me its my own prob. cheers :)

Even chaper way is elastic band and plyers, lol.

I see this is a different way to what i do. I wasnt so sure on this but do you have any solder on the iron when melting the parts together? I always do but is there any pros or cons or am i just an idiot? :D

Good video anyway. (and i aggree on the sleepyness)

Chris.

Even chaper way is elastic band and plyers, lol.

I see this is a different way to what i do. I wasnt so sure on this but do you have any solder on the iron when melting the parts together? I always do but is there any pros or cons or am i just an idiot? :D

Good video anyway. (and i aggree on the sleepyness)

Chris.

I usually "tin" the tip with a bit of solder before I start working. That means I heat the soldering iron to the temp I need it at (usually about 725-750F), then I put just a bit of solder on the tip and then run it across the sponge. After that, I just apply the solder as I heat the items being soldered together.

Putting too much solder on the tip and leaving it there can cause extra unnecessary wear on the soldering tip, as well as too much solder on the join and cold solder joints.

so where can i get all the stuff i need? also where do i get a msfet and deans connectors everyone is always talking about?

oh and thanks for the lesson ive been doing it totaly wrong

Fry's or radio shack will sell just about all you need for soldering.

Deans can be bought at Cheapbatterypacks.com

I sell mosfets.

ok i just spent 45 mins trying to pull it off on my own - just to see how hard it was. i failed miserably for 45 mins on one deans connector... eventually melting it.

after watching your video closely 15 mins later my AEG, charger and all my batts now have deans connectors that look dam good! your awesome. gunna test it all out on saturday at my next game.... i might even take that li-po with me and see how well it works... or doesnt :) then come sunday - fit infecteds mosfet!

Archived