Stupidity

Atty

Hey,

I've been reading some interesting stories from the "most painful hit" forum and "how hardcore are you" forum and had the thought that stories about stupid mistakes might be pretty interesting as well. And as well all know, everyone makes mistakes.

As for me, the stupidest thing I've ever done? Well thats a tough one, considering I've done plenty of really stupid things. While it may not be the stupidest, it was pretty dumb. A friend and I were advancing up a street. There were trees on the side of the street, which we were using as cover. My friend was going to move up to the next tree, and asked for cover fire. I just did sort of a potshot around the tree, not really aiming it as I had no target. Turns out, I shot my buddy in the leg. Oops! :D Plus, I was the medic, so I had to go heal him :P .

What's the stupidest mistake you've ever made while playing airsoft?

-Atty

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I at a CQB(black hawk down) and was so lazy to load my JG 614 that I grabbed my friends Cybergun(wal mart clear plastic) shotgun and kill someone with a KWA M4. Me and my friend were laughing at that one because he thought I was using my 614.

Being a total noob, I tried to go stealthy with a GBB. Was in a small space, so I put my face right up to the back of the gun to line my target up, then pulled the trigger.

Got whacked in the face real good.

Ohh yea remind me when I first tried a GGB. Fired without a mask and got smacked right on my nose... OWWW

not sure if it makes me 'stupid' but like the poster above i was in CQB, stealthy etc etc. crept up on someone, fired my pistol, but id forgot to cock it and all i heard was a 'click'. My opponent promptly turned round and shot me. I had time to cock it and fire, but i was frozen by the confusion. yeah.

I dont think its stupid, just, well, innitative. I wasnt there at the time but this guy and me were 'hostages', one team held us and the other team had to free us, classic rescue game. Our urban site is over 3 floors. HE was being held in a second story room... so he jumped out of the window when no one was looking. Plus it was pitch black so he didnt know what he was landing on. fortunatly he got away with a twist ankle but had to sit the rest of the night out. It came over the radio he had jumped and my guard ran off to look, so i just walked to my team. So yeah, it worked out well.

After 5 minutes into a firefight i realized my AEG had a lack of magazine.

That was a major facepalm moment.

k

oh, happened to me many times. Each time the same guy was always nearby and always said "call me old fasioned but..."

i know exactly how you felt.

2 big 'uns stand out in the memory.

My first game out with my horrid SAAV (I was so proud of it too...ah, noobism)- AEG ran dry, wrenched my Glock 19 from one of the pouches and accidentally shot myself in the thigh as I did.... Cue a yelp of hit and some swearing.

The other one was on an entirely seperate occasion: struck the top on an Enola Gaye BB grenade which went PHUT.... I stared at it in the palm of my hand for a couple of seconds, wondering if it had caught light... BOOOM... and the grenade is gone, my gloved palm stinging a lot and all I can here is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..... Mumbled hit and staggered, shaky and dazed back to the safezone to have a cup of coffee...

Edit- and a 3rd.... Spark a smoke grenade and CHARGE.... take ten paces and my 11th pace makes one leg go down a rabbit hole up to my hip and a collapse in a big pile, with the smoke landing at my feet....All on camera too. :rolleyes:

Three opfor bods were bimbling along a path thinking they were well away from the action, guns held in a slack and casual fashion. I stepped out from behind the tree, rifle leveled, ready to full auto them to death, only to feel the resistance to the trigger pull of a firmly applied safety catch. My 'OH SHI-' moment gave them time to bring their guns up, none of them had the safety on...

Ninja'd my way up to a bunker, lobbed in a pyro, 'opfor' bod jumps out, I double tap him with my pistol. Marshal bursts out laughing, my team had already occupied the bunker...

:devil:

I can't think of anything interesting that I have personally done on the field. I've seen way more stupidity.

The first one that comes to mind is when a guy in a bunker didn’t surrender.

The “Bunker” was basically a 2 foot deep hole with a sheet of plywood in front of it. The bunker is elevated about 20 feet up the side of a hill. I have the guy 100% pinned down as I advance across the open field. I signal for the other 3 guys to rush up.

We are firing all over the plywood and calling for a surrender, but he won’t listen. Then he starts to blind fire over the top of the plywood. After about 10 second of that he knocks over the plywood and we all 4 unload on him at about 50 feet. I don’t think he will do that again.

I have done something stupid every single game I play, so itd hard to remember anything specific!

Though one stand out moment is letting a friend wear Rothco Midnight Blue camo to a woodland game. One person actually asked me... "Does he even KNOW what colour trees are?" :D

16 years old, tried to catch a BB in my teeth at point blank, shot the dangly bit at the back of the throat (uvula ?) MLAR :D

Scoping with my APS (500fps) saw some DPM pop up in the lense thought ooh mine, pulled trigger, a mate about 15 metres infront of me screams, oops, red face, learned to shoot with the scope with both eyes open soon after that ;)

plenty more stupid things done over the years, but they rank high on the list of facepalm moments :)

The site owner was talking though the site rules etc whilst standing on some pallets boards, I happen to be sitting on said boards besides him.

He goes to show all the walkons how the BB grenades work, stirkes the fuse and lowers his arm to throw at their feet only for it to go off in his hand level with my head less then a foot away ! ! !

Have to say I had ringing in my ears for quite a while :D

Being a total noob, I tried to go stealthy with a GBB. Was in a small space, so I put my face right up to the back of the gun to line my target up, then pulled the trigger.

Got whacked in the face real good.

Hahaha, reminds me of when I was first getting into airsoft. Got a cheap springer pistol, but I had no idea how to use the sights. So, I put it right up next to my eye. Unfortunately, when I pulled the trigger, the hammer went up, scratching my cheek and nearly taking off my goggles. Scared me half to death.

QUOTE (demon.b @ Aug 9 2008, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Three opfor bods were bimbling along a path thinking they were well away from the action, guns held in a slack and casual fashion. I stepped out from behind the tree, rifle leveled, ready to full auto them to death, only to feel the resistance to the trigger pull of a firmly applied safety catch. My 'OH SHI-' moment gave them time to bring their guns up, none of them had the safety on...

I sympathize. I was using a friends AEG. Following proper gun safety, he had the safety on when he gave it to me. I didn't know this, however, and when I ran out to mow down a couple people who were running for cover I tried to pull the trigger, realized safety was on, swore to myself, and ran back to cover as they started to return fire. I proceeded to scream "You didn't tell me you left it on safety!" This is what my friends and I call, an "Atty moment".

16 years old, tried to catch a BB in my teeth at point blank, shot the dangly bit at the back of the throat (uvula ?) MLAR :D

My friend wanted to see if he could feel the air from my springer pistol when he fired it. So, he cocked it, took out the magazine, and shot himself in the palm of the hand from point blank. Oops! :D

back in 2004 at Spectre, was storming the Meeting Place building at night (objective was to burst all the balloons in order to find a piece of paper with instructions on) Ammo max was 200 rounds, so i filled up my Famas Hi-Cap and throught the smoke, spotted a balloon. I emptied all 200 rounds into it and was puzzled as to why it wasn't popping. After my ammo ran out and the smoke had cleared slightly i realised that i'd emptied all 200 rounds into a disco ball that was hanging from the ceiling <_<

(Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....)

Mine has to be when i got bored defending a fort at one point so i looked around to find a hat sat in a corner that belonged to no-one in the fort so i kept placing it on the wall above me, watching it get shot off time and time again.

I then stood up a little to high to move up and had three shots miss me by about an inch, hit the other wal and ricochet into my neck.

As for others, when my mate ran, dived into cover, pulled out a grenade, threw it, hit the only tree in front of him and watch it land on the other side of his own cover.

'FireKnife'

My lack of pyro skills is legendary. The ammount of times I've managed to lob a nade JUST over the cover I'm behind, or throw it at my own feet is appauling.

I do that, but I also throw it and it bounces back off a tree trunk, to my feet.

I've also reloaded, but the mag has not clicked in, meaning the mag falls out. cue me dry firing and trying to find the mag while under fire!

Yep, ditto on pyro fails:

1) Fireball 2006, Op Vortex: I'm in a mano el mano firefight ( a rare thing at Op Vortex, considering the 350 attendees) with a guy in a village. He legs it into a building, I leg it into a tower... I pull a nade out, lob it. Then wonder why the hissing of the fuse hasn't moved. Should have checked for camo netting first! I threw myself out of the tower, gear, gun and all, and promptly legged it.

2) CSW a month or so ago: Outside the church, and knew there were other guys on the other side. I think "aha, I'll lob a nade up over the top, and down again!"

Misjudged, nade went STRAIGHT up, and STRAIGHT down. Landing literally between my feet. Managed to leg it and charge back in, but ffs....

Not while playing airsoft but while I was using a digital multimeter I didn't know my friend was testing amps and didn't put the clips back into the "Ohm,Volt" port and tested "voltage" on my battery. Very very painful as I didn't notice the heat until it was very hot.

Archived