SIG Picture Thread

and the older style rear sight.

By the way, nice choice on the X5; an excellent shooter.  Which model did you get: original, Competition, Tactical or Allround?  (These are the SigArms USA names, so they may be different from the models sold by Sig-Sauer in Germany, though, they are all made there).

The mate wanted me to use the original TM rear sight because it had white dots. The realsteel Sig Sauer old rear sight I have nothing to complain about, but PGC didn't paint the white stripe in the middle of it. :/

Thanks for the compliment. I'm a peacekeeper for one more week, been in the theatre for two six month rotations. Many of the buddies were buying cool cars so I figured I'd buy a cool gun. :) Judging from pics and specs, it's definitely not the Allround (which is DA), Tactical (which has an alloy frame) or Competition (no adjustable trigger, plastic grips) so it must be the original model. I have a single action trigger with adjustments for length of pull (typically a rifle/shotgun term but suits this gun so nicely), pull weight and letoff. The grips are wooden. I chose .40 to get major points, as I'm going to compete in the IPSC Standard division with this beast.

Mathub: I don't think so... I believe Tanaka has modeled the old style grips very much according to realsteel specs so you'd have to modify them to fit the TM P226 with any frame. Anyways it's plastic so grinding through it shouldn't be a problem. Don't be so afraid of a little elbow grease. ;)

-Sale

Edited by Sale
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just say that they can be made to fit. If you look on the last page, you will see my P226R DAK sporting some factory grips. The holes for the grip screws need to be widened because the original TM has a plastic lip around the metal threaded part. The outer diameter of the metal part is about the size of the factory hole. I have a small file with a rounded side that works really well. The metal body kits are designed for Marui grips, so they have the same problem (only it's all metal).

The other grinding that needs to be done is around the mainspring support (that big silver piece on the back of the grip that the mainspring -- or "hammer spring" if that helps -- sits on and the mainspring strut goes into). The design seems to be a copy of the original, but is just a little too large in some spots. This dremel bit works great for this job.

The look of the factory grips is much better than the Marui grips. The plastic has more of a matte finish (less glossy), is slightly gray and has a much better feel. Aiming and even just holding the pistol is much easier with the factory grips. Plus, at $15-20 on Ebay, they are a really cheap and easy mod to make the gun look and feel much better.

Our issue pistol is the P226. One guy here has Hogue grips on his. Much better than original grips... So if you upgrade from Marui for ergonomics and handling, get Hogues. If you want an exact replica of the factory model, then get original SIG Sauer grips.

-Sale

couple of quick questions:

Do the SIG 551/550's only take stick batteries? or can a small be put into them?

And do the Metal bodies for the 552's work on the 551' and 550's?

:) Yes they only take stick batteries unless of course you reroute the wire to the rear and use a battery bag (or a mag pouch like mine), and the metal bodies do fit but its not easy. Its not a nightmare but it takes some time, they fit ok but maybe its just me, i found it a fairly complicated gun compared to say an mp5 or m16. Well worth it. ;)

It's hard to get the tiny screw to thread into the metal, so I just left it out and glued the metal bit with cyanoacrylate. The grip panel secures it anyways so I don't think the screw is necessary.

-Sale

I think he means he's too lazy to replace it, and even without the plate, the screw will keep the catch in place.

The mag catch is held in place by a whole other means and that isn't related. The grip panel keeps the cover plate in place without the screw.

Titleist: I actually installed the PGC kit to a gun of a mate of mine in our units vehicle repair shop. So none of my own fancy tools to work with. ;) I only had a small enough flat head screwdriver to get the original screw out, but it didn't hold the screw stable enough to screw into the metal kit.

-Sale

A few questions for the sig folks out there - I dont have one yet but will be getting my hands on a TM Sig 552 soon:

1. What type of gearbox does it have?

2. Is it hard to work with internally?

3. Can anyone point me to a site that has a disassembly guide? I've looked and most that I came up with are retailers or the LPEG 552s.

TIA