SIG Picture Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks 9mm! Although I have to be honest and say I've personally done very little to it. The majority of what i've done is in the stock and of course the paint job. I just put these up in the gun pics thread but I may as well put them here for this SG550 enthusiasts to:

sigblack2.jpg

sigblack1.jpg

That little white thing under the stock is just tissue so it doesn't scratch the floor. Its a bit of shameless self promotion I know but i'll probably be selling it in the next month or so before the VCRB comes in (if it does) as I have to pay university bills and I can't really financially justify having this + an M4. pm' me if your interested.

Prolific. . you have some nice model making skills! Great job!

Here's one just for you :)

SIG 551 w/ custom built Surefire M520 "replica"

NOTE 1: I built a handguard weapons light for the SIG 551 about 1.5-2 years before Surefire even released a weapons light for the SIG 551. . .Surefire calls it the M520A Millenium Forend .. since I didn't have a name for mine, I might as well call it a M520A "replica".

What: Custom built Surefire M520A "replica" for the SIG 551

How: using a heavily modified G&P M500 M4 handguard light, Marui SIG 551 upper handguard, sandpaper, files, Versalock, THF, polystyrene, glazing putty, primer, spray on Plasti-Dip Plastisol (rubberized coating)

Sorry I don't have pics showing the entire SIG w/ the light. . mainly detail shots of the apparatus.

I do have some pics of the model making process prior to completion/painting though (not shown)

Unfortunately. ..I sold this SIG several years ago so the pics I have is all I have.

When I saw Surefire release their M520A. . I found out my setup had better ergonomics. . ie, power/toggle and pressure switch was more conveniently located so that operation was easier. For the Surefire version, you have to move your entire hand location to use the on/off toggle . . .while mine, you can access both pressure switch and on/off toggle without changing your grip.

Pictures doesn't do this project justice, but I can say, when the project was done, the SIG handguard light looked like an off-the-shelf part.

NOTE 2: After I completed the handguard light. .I went back and stripped the rubberized finish and added several ribs that tied the light portion to the handguard for better reinforcement and to hold up in heavy skirmishing.

Here's pics with the finished product attached to the SIG 551

DSC05578.jpg

The above pic also shows a silly ol' box mag I made out of two std. mags and 1 hicap. It worked great.. just needed some aesthetic refinement. I definitely did not spend as much time into it like I did with the M520A replica.

DSC05577.jpg

DSC05576.jpg

DSC05574.jpg

Here's pics of the finished product not installed on the SIG 551

leftfrontpersp2.jpg

leftfrontpersp.jpg

rightpersp.jpg

Hope everyone likes it. . .this is truly a one of a kind build. I don't think there's a soul in the airsoft world that has something like my custom built handguard light unless they bought an actual Surefire OR they got the SIG 551 from me.

If you still have your SG551 I bet it'll fetch quite a price. My SG550 sniper went for £300 t'other week, although I'm still awaiting payment. The interest in it was unbelieveable. For about 3 days after I posted it up as provisionalyl sold I had people asking if there was anyway they could get it lol. I saw someone yesterday sold a brand new (well not exactly new, it was like 3 years old but it hadn't ever been opened or used) SG550 for £275!! thats £85 more than they sold for when TM were still making them.

I think the SIGs are going to be the first airsoft guns to become 'collectors items' as they're dead rare these days, Not many people bought them when they were originally made so even fewer exist now. I've seen broken SG550s go for almost what they would as new just because people are desperate for them. :D

Thanks Prolific,

551 came in black. . unfortunately, I sold that SIG years ago. .but it's ok, it's not like I can't make another one ;)

(I actually snatched up about 3-4 G&P M500 lights just in case I want to do another one for the SIG or any other AEG)

I do have another SIG 551 in my possession that I can make another M520A replica for. .although it's kinda a project gun that is not quite aesthetically perfect. .

the entire receiver was cracked in half and completely separated from one another. . THANKS DHL!!!!!

Anyhow. . I attached the halves together with a full-gun-length machined reinforcement rod. This rod is screwed into the front sight block, goes through the receiver block and ties into the rear stock hinge coupling.

I'll detail that SIG build shortly on this forum ;)

Edited by the cleaner

thats really really nice the cleaner. Do you know where I can get this stock adaptor so i can put on a M4 stock like on these

SG552withCRANESTOCK.jpg

sig.jpg

I found the rail system for the SG552 but now all I need is the butt stock adaptor, any ideas on who makes it?

haven't seen it for the SIG.. but WGC has one for the G36 (to attach an m4 style stock to)

I can build an M4 stock adapter from your SIG stock hinge. .if that's an option for you. . although my time for airsoft customization, lately, has been extremely cut back to almost zero.

EDIT (to follow up with Prolific's concern below):

The SIG stock hinge is metal. . so as long as the M4 coupling is metal or machined engineering plastic (ABS, Delrin, whatever) and is attached securely . .it should not be a problem.

Edited by the cleaner

No idea. Thats a SG556 though - its the new model for law enforcement. I don't think anyone makes an airsoft version or adaptor for the stock, at least not yet. Basically the 3 upgrades available for a sig are:

HurricanE metal body

RIS rail

Stock cheek Piece

There aren't any others. You could try to custom attach the Stock to the SG552 but I've got to say having seen it up close I doubt that'll be easy or very stable.

Ooh... that might be a sig I might actually do... I never liked sigs before but that's quite nice with the paintjob, RIS and stock... Vltor on a Sig looks quite nice... and would lend itself quite well to proper battery storage...

How come there aren't many companies producing both of Vltor's stocks out there... they're dead sexy...

Cleaner, a 552 M500 style handguard would look quite nice too... hmm... might reconcider my M4 for a cqb weapon...

hmm I still think there must be some sort of adaptor out there. Is that top picture I sent a 556 as well? because the stock hinge looks different then the below picture I sent.

And you think you'd be able to do that for me? (make a M4 stock adaptor)

hmm I still think there must be some sort of adaptor out there.  Is that top picture I sent a 556 as well? because the stock hinge looks different then the below picture I sent. 

And you think you'd be able to do that for me? (make a M4 stock adaptor)

of course one is available in real steel. . but how does the hinge coupling fit on the Marui SIG? Will it even work?

Is one available for airsoft. .again, not that I've seen so far.. only for the G36.

Do I "think" I can make one for you? No question I can do it. . it's just how long you're willing to wait. . I'm a busy man and currently have very little time for airsoft custom work. But again, if you don't mind waiting. . I can do it for you.

I'll need you to supply me the stock hinge coupling off your SIG.

My machining rates start at $50/hr. . charge you $50 for the project.

So here's another "custom" SIG 551 I did. . .it's moreso a FIX it job. . but nevertheless, alot of custom work went into it.

Story: Circa de 2000-2001. . . A buddy of mine in HK sent me a SIG 551. .tightly bubble wrapped and stuffed into a large mailing envelope .. WTF? no box? Needless to say. .good ol' DHL cracked the SIG in half. . .when I received the SIG, the gun was bent down about 10-15 degrees from horizontal. .it was like a limp d!ck.

Being I love the SIG 550/551 (hate the 552 because of no burst). .I had to fix it .. and since getting replacement ABS receiver was near impossible since it wasn't until 2004 or so that the Hurricane metal SIG receivers were available.

I'd like to note that there was a metal receiver kit produced for the SIG in the late 90s(way before Hurricane). .in Japan. .but it was hideous and ill fitting. .it was such a bad fit, not many were produced or bought.

Anyhow. . .I first started the FIX IT project by attempting to weld back the ABS receiver with my plastic welding kit (uses about 10-15 PSI and heat source. . looks like a soldering iron but blows hot air at the tip like a heat gun/hair dryer. ABS plastic welding rods were used). . in any case, I was extremely unsuccessful in welding the receiver together. . I actually screwed it up ever moreso. Anyhow, we don't have to discuss that here.

had I known about THF or ABS solvent prior .. I would've not had to use the plastic welding kit.

Anyhows. . .

here's the CRACKED SIG 551:

BUSTED_RIGHT_SIDE_1.jpg

Can you say OUCH?

BUSTED_RIGHT_SIDE.jpg

BUSTED_LEFT_SIDE_TOP.jpg

So here's the completed reinforced assembly. You have the main rod that extends from the front sight. . through the receiver block. .and ties into the stock hinge.

The reinforced rod takes up the room where you're stick battery goes. .as well as the entire room inside the upper receiver. Thus, you cannot use a stick battery anymore AND you have to remove the bolt. . however, I am working on reattaching the bolt.

DSC05527.jpg

Here's the reinforced rod going through the receiver block. . .

DSC05530.jpg

and with both halves of the block.

Also, notice the rail. . custom designed and built so it also directly attaches to the receiver block. It cantilevers and at the other end of the rail is knotched and fits in a slot under the rear sight. Extremely secure.

This rail is a complete different design than what Marui released for the SIG series.

DSC05528.jpg

Again, I'd like to reinterate this reinforement rod. . it's tied in 3 of the most secure areas. .the front sight block, receiver block, stock hinge coupling. Absolutely NO FLEX through the handguard area. . no chance of ever breaking in half.

Here's the assembly with the burst unit, front sight and flash hider:

DSC05531.jpg

a pic showing position/fitment of the rear profile rail (basicall sits a few mm above the receiver) as well as the reinforcement rod going through the handguard/stick battery compartment and into the front sight:

DSC05532.jpg

pic of rod through the bolt area. .and how low profile the rail is on top of the receiver:

DSC05534.jpg

I had sold this SIG to a friend at least 6 years ago. . he still had it. .I ended up buying it back from him just a couple of weeks ago.

BTW. . .to use the SIG. .I run the wires out handguard and run externally. . add a rail to the handguard, use a PEQ2 battery unit. . .

In any case. .I might do the M520A replica on this SIG as well!!!

Material is machined 6061 Aluminum throughout. . beed blasted and

"aluminum black" coated (which added a rough texture/appearance. .kinda nice, looks like it can handle some beating)

comments?

dude you are my hero. i can't believe you did all that, amazing job. Man you have to get my future (soon to be mine) SIG552 to use a M4 stock. I'm going to purchase a VLTOR style stock and rewire it to the back. You'd be the man to customize it for me or at least maybe explain how I could do it.

But hey that idea is fantastic your whole front end must really solid. I think it could have been easier to buy a metal body but who the F*** cares that's a great idea anyway very nice.

dude you are my hero.  i can't believe you did all that, amazing job.  Man you have to get my future (soon to be mine) SIG552 to use a M4 stock.  I'm going to purchase a VLTOR style stock and rewire it to the back.  You'd be the man to customize it for me or at least maybe explain how I could do it. 

But hey that idea is fantastic your whole front end must really solid.  I think it could have been easier to buy a metal body but who the F*** cares that's a great idea anyway very nice.

Thanks for the nice words (and rep point). . .

it would not have been easier with a metal body. .besides, I did this reinforcement about 3+ years before Hurricane released the metal body. So that, at the time, was not an option.

Even if I just used a metal body, you'd still get flex in the handguard right at the receiver block. . .the stock metal outer barrel doesn't have the greatest support as it is. . with my reinforcement rod. . it solves that issue.

I'd have to see and examine the Hurricane body to see if I'd still be able to install it on it's current state .. my reinforcement rod goes through the entire upper receiver and bolt section so I don't know about clearance issues.

Next Project:

Hurricane metal body. . make another M520A replica. . .design and build a full length flat top rail on top. .I'd remove the current rail and make a new one that would replace both front and rear sights. I would use the existing mounting provisions for the rear sight. . shave off the front sight, drill and tap into the front sight block.

Fantastic Cleaner. I sold my SG550 Sniper today :D £300 it went for in the end. (thats $567). As I boxed it up and realised I'd never see my hard work again it was kinda depressing, but I'm glad its going to people who will use it more than I do probably (and hopefully be able to financially justify owning it more than I could).

I think i'm bowing out of SIGs for a little while at least. Perhaps until the day that someone other than Marui bring one out. I was not impressed with their SG552, Marui made out like it was a massive improvement on the 550/551. Its not, infact all it is, is identical to the 550/551 just without a burst circuit and with a shorter foregrip. All the same old problems of being hard to strip and awkward to set up.

My next project is an ICS M16 + M203 Heatshield with an ACOG sight and no carry handle. Unfortunately my fabrication abilities aren't nearly as good as yours cleaner, not to mention I lack most the tools nessessary to machine even small pieces of metal. BTW that gun with the armalite style stock is definately a carbine version of the SG556, check this out: http://www.sigarms.com/images/catalog/prod...eftside16in.jpg

The pictures showed in post #107 are 552. 556 receiver is quite different, the mags are different, and 556 LE version is more like a 551 with RIS everywhere.

The M4 stock is a kit for RS SIGs, and it's funny to see that AR owner like the SIG type M4 stock (Magpul made IIRC) better, and SIG owner wanting to put M4 stocks on their guns...

I own a RS 551 Police, and you'd have to pay me at least 1 million $ to see me mounting a fugly M4 stock on it!