Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) Battery Primer

infected

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't try balancing it; I'll have to give that a go.

As for swelling, the battery's sealed pretty well inside a PEQ housing, so I can't see without taking it apart, which is a mild pain.  If balancing doesn't work, I'll have to do that.

My 2 cents, take the peq off the gun and go do it outside. Bad stuff happens if the lipo swells: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DXvv1rFbAk

Please note that I was stupid. Do not do this. I accidentally charged it on NiMh and it was really swelled. Tried discharging it as much as I could before I did this. I couldnt help but poking it. It was so bloated. Kinda like popping a blister. Cant help it :P

-Hawaiian

• 2 months later...

So I did a few searches of the thread (and forum) and couldn't find my answer anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a 7.4v LiPo to fit into a PEQ-15? I have this PEQ, and the dimensions for the battery compartment are 80mm x 55mm x 20mm, however I cannot find a 7.4v 1200 mah battery that will fit. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

So I did a few searches of the thread (and forum) and couldn't find my answer anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a 7.4v LiPo to fit into a PEQ-15? I have this PEQ, and the dimensions for the battery compartment are 80mm x 55mm x 20mm, however I cannot find a 7.4v 1200 mah battery that will fit. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

This one should fit: Took me forever to find it! 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6470__ZIPPY_Flightmax_1000mAh_3S1P_25C.html

There is, probably, but you should learn how to solder :)

Its really easy and you can switch your guns over all to the same type of connectors (deans coughcoughcough)

It makes life easier with all your batteries on the same adapter. 

On top of that, deans gives you better power and well, its just so much better ^_^ 

Quick question for you guys.  Would you guys care for a update to this series of articles, in a youtube format with some newer info?  I'm thinking about doing up a series of videos about airsoft basics (and some not so basics), but really want to get a feel for how much it's needed / wanted.  I think there's too much "myth" out there (this lube, that lube / lipo batteries / teflon wire / barrel length and accuracy / fps and range, etc), and someone needs to set the record straight.  I just know it will take time for me to make / produce them (I don't like to do things half way so no cell phone quality production here); but I would start with an update to this article.  Any feedback either via pm  or reply here would be great.

it would probably be a good idea, things have moved on a fair amount since the original thread was started with the exception that airsoft branded lipos are still grossly overpriced and underspecc'ed compaired to other hobby lipos.

Edit: One myth that really needs to be killed is the "OMG My gearbox died because the C rating on my Lipo was too high" and similar.

Quick question for you guys.  Would you guys care for a update to this series of articles, in a youtube format with some newer info?  I'm thinking about doing up a series of videos about airsoft basics (and some not so basics), but really want to get a feel for how much it's needed / wanted.  I think there's too much "myth" out there (this lube, that lube / lipo batteries / teflon wire / barrel length and accuracy / fps and range, etc), and someone needs to set the record straight.  I just know it will take time for me to make / produce them (I don't like to do things half way so no cell phone quality production here); but I would start with an update to this article.  Any feedback either via pm  or reply here would be great.

Haha yes please do. 

Evike's explanation of the gearbox and perpetuation of some of those myths make me sick. 

We need a legit tech to explain all that. 

• 1 month later...

I apologize for being that guy, I did search the thread but hit all dead links.  Does hobbyking stock an 11.1v that will fit in a buffer tube?  If it had tamiyas that would be the best, I plan on swapping to deans but need a tamiya for this weekend.  I am not too concerned about the capacity of the battery as I am not heavy on the trigger, I just need something that will power my sr25.  The smaller in size the better as there is a fuse and extra wiring to contend with, it may have to go in the crane stock.

Thanks guys, you are scholars and gentlemen.

I apologize for being that guy, I did search the thread but hit all dead links.  Does hobbyking stock an 11.1v that will fit in a buffer tube?  If it had tamiyas that would be the best, I plan on swapping to deans but need a tamiya for this weekend.  I am not too concerned about the capacity of the battery as I am not heavy on the trigger, I just need something that will power my sr25.  The smaller in size the better as there is a fuse and extra wiring to contend with, it may have to go in the crane stock.

Thanks guys, you are scholars and gentlemen.

Yes. They do, 

This one slides into buffertubes quite handily: 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37845__Turnigy_nano_tech_1200mAh_3S_25_50C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html

Hawaiian,

That 3S battery you linked to must be a relatively new addition as I'm sure they didn't have it when I bought my 168mm 3S's. If they had them I would have bought them as it would have allowed me to fully collapse the stock in the same manner as the 2S packs I am now using.

Tom.

Might as well ask here first rather than clutter up with another thread:

I've just bought a new G&G Gen 2 TR16. I need a good, powerful battery to fuel it during games. It's equipped with a large Tamiya connector, and I do have a decently newish 8.4V 3300mAh NiMH battery to go with it, but I find that it tends to double-fire on semi and it seems to cycle erratically on auto. 

I therefore intend to get an appropriate 7.4V LiPo to go with it. I have one with a mini-Tamiya connector that I usually run in my smaller AEGs (Vapex 1450 mAh), and it cycles correctly on semi and auto, but I don't wish to use an adaptor for the connector, and would ideally like a battery with more capacity (2000+mAh).

Does anyone have experience with this phenomenon to recommend a battery for my needs?

I've been eyeing up the following:

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/3300mah-7-4v-35c-deans.html

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/2200mah-7-4v-35c-mini-tamiya.html

I have a (completely unsubstantiated except for my experience with the NiMH) feeling the former will be TOO powerful and cause double-fire, and that the latter is selling itself short and could do with a lot more amperage to take advantage of the M16 stock.

So, totally clueless. The other option is to buy the most powerful battery possible and just slap a mosfet, but I don't trust my installation skills, it might void my warranty, and/or simply not work/break.

So, wat do?

Firstly where did you buy it from ? If its pas they will fit a fet and do any work and still honour the warranty , .. The gen 2 do suffer from overspin on 9.6 battery's . 11. 1 is a no no unless a fet is fitted .

My son runs a 2600 7.4 lipo 35c in his with no problems . Have just upgraded to a shs high torque motor , the. Pas boys done the work and his warranty is still upheld on it because they did the work ..

Yeah, it was PAS. I'd rather not have to shell out the dosh on both a 'fet and the necessary labour, although it'd keep the warrany in place, no doubt.

If 35C seems to not cause overspin, then I may just go and get that 3300 mAh one, as it also appears to be 35C as well. I wasnt gonna touch an 11.1, and 9.6 I know were problematic since my A2 carbine was also a bit funny about them.

Thanks, you've been helpful.

The gen 2 guns are very efficient , fat non resistant wiring and the high torque motors are quite fast , have a word with their tech he may be able to put a sector clip on it to stop the overspin .

Pas are really good guys so talk to them to solve it !

Archived