Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) Battery Primer

infected

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, many thanks, I had no idea this was called a jst3.

As far as I knew, it was just for ballancing & the two main leads (red & balck) would be joined to your deans & used for charging, as per Nimhs etc, via a lipo suitable charger.

Greg.

I've only ever charged my LiPo through the JST plug. Works fine! Wish I'd bumped into you at GZ, we coulda talked G36s for a while....:)

1, I've only ever charged my LiPo through the JST plug. Works fine!

2, Wish I'd bumped into you at GZ, we coulda talked G36s for a while....:)

1, See, this is an informative thread!!

2, We would have still been there. :D

Greg.

with the whole Balance Charger vs Normal Lipo charger... According tot he instructions the lipo i got it states that you should not charge the pack more than 5 times before using a balance charger. That would make buying a non-balance charger a waste of cash.

This has been covered & opinion differs. (Check my opinion on post 131)

Naturally, this manufacturer is giving you information from the book (so as to speak).

But Xaccers describes in post 122 how, in his case, balancing was not necessary.

Greg.

Okay guys... what started out as a 2 part series, that became a 3 part series, is now looking like a 4 part series thanks to Xaccers comments (it's a good thing really). :)

Part 3 should be out tomorrow or the next day.

Part 4 should be available Monday.

Okay guys... what started out as a 2 part series, that became a 3 part series, is now looking like a 4 part series thanks to Xaccers comments (it's a good thing really). :)

Part 3 should be out tomorrow or the next day.

Part 4 should be available Monday.

Looking forward to it. ;)

Greg.

Part 3 is indeed out. In Part 3 we are talking about how to go about choosing a li-poly that will fit your needs (and your budget), and where to buy one from. Also included are 2 examples of li-poly systems (charger, battery, balancer, etc); one on the cheaper end and one on the high end.

Part 4 should be ready for publishing monday, and will once and for all answer the question:

"Is a 7.4v li-poly truly as strong as 9.6v NimH large battery?"

The answer will surprise you!

Part 4 should be ready for publishing monday, and will once and for all answer the question:

"Is a 7.4v li-poly truly as strong as 9.6v NimH large battery?"

The answer will surprise you!

Not if you can do sums :D

TBH this is the comparison I was intending to do this week - if my battery had turned up :angry: ! Got my balancer tho' - it's this one if anyone's interested. Can't tell you how good it is, but it turned up quick :)

Great articles infected - I'm still trying to work out the naming conventions for the different types of taps so I've got the option to order from the states. Perhaps the subject of part 5....... :D

Cheers

H.

Hilts, you suck, now I need to incorporate the naming conventions in the articles! ARgghhhhh! :D j/k

Actually, just to help you out, here they are:

(info from http://www.rclipos.com )

Polyquest taps are used on Enermax, E-tec, Extreme Power, Fliton, Hyperion, Impulse, MaxAmps, Pache, Poly RC, Polyquest, True RC and Xcite battery packs.

Thunder Power taps are used on Apex, Danlions, EVO, Flight Power, Kong Power, MPX, Outrage, Tark Power, Thunder Power and Vislero battery packs.

Align JST XH taps are used on 3E Models, ABF, Air Thunder, Align, Common Sense RC V2, DN Power, Dualsky, Dynam, E-flight, Electric Power, Electrifly, Energy EC, Esky, E-Watts, Exceed RC Fusion, Fully Max, GE Power, Grayson Power, Hextronix, HI Model, Hobby City, Hobby Loong, Hurricane Flight Systems, Imax, LOSI, Mega Power, Mystery, PowerSource, Protec, Tenergy (rev polarity), Tower Hobbies, Trinity, Turborix, Vampower (new), Venom and WOW RC, X-Caliber and Zippy battery packs.

Kokam JST XE taps are used on Apogee (but you need to remove lock), Core, Graupner, Kokam, New / Neu Motors, Orion Avionics and Vampower (old) battery packs.

Hopefully that helps clear things up a bit.

Wow! cheers - seriously, is there no limit to your awesomeness :D ! Had a look on that site earlier but didn't see that. The info is a tucked away in there - just couldn't see it for looking.

I guess I can just order the Align XH taps as I've got the converter from XH to EHR for my balancer.

thanks again

H.

Not if you can do sums :D

Ain't that the truth.

Sums aside (theory), practical observation of the results of the same gun, with a 9.6 vs 7.4 over a rof counter, is amazing.

I'm guessing this is down to the 'burst' thing?

Greg.

Ha! Shows what 'doing sums' does if you put the wrong figures in :o . Just re-read infected's first article and noted he quotes 12C as the discharge rate for NiMh's - I'd been using 10C (don't know where I got that from, suppose it seemed reasonable to me) - as a result I've 'under rated' (read wimped out on :) ) the LiPo I'd need and ordered a 15C instead of a 20C. Oh well, I was originally only looking for something that performs about the same anyway - I'm just going to get it a lot closer than I'd anticipated :D .

Cheers

H

Ha! Shows what 'doing sums' does if you put the wrong figures in :o . Just re-read infected's first article and noted he quotes 12C as the discharge rate for NiMh's - I'd been using 10C (don't know where I got that from, suppose it seemed reasonable to me) - as a result I've 'under rated' (read wimped out on :) ) the LiPo I'd need and ordered a 15C instead of a 20C. Oh well, I was originally only looking for something that performs about the same anyway - I'm just going to get it a lot closer than I'd anticipated :D .

Cheers

H

NiMH batteries can produce AS HIGH as 12C at best. Often they are closer to 11, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt here, yet they still get stomped. :)

I think it's Polyquest taps that're on Vapex lipos that are sold in the UK via Component Shop, who seem to have a large following amongst airsofters :)

My first lipo is charging as we speak... I'm looking forward to comparing it to my existing 8.4v Nimh once that's done :)

I think it's Polyquest taps that're on Vapex lipos that are sold in the UK via Component Shop, who seem to have a large following amongst airsofters :)

My first lipo is charging as we speak... I'm looking forward to comparing it to my existing 8.4v Nimh once that's done :)

Awesome. Let us know how it goes!

Here's my shopping list to get into Li-Pos

-Li-Po

-Charger/Balancer

-Voltage Monitor

-Li-Po Sack (I have a Ammo can so do I really need the Li-Po sack right away?)

I am having trouble keeping within my budget of around $150...

I was thinking the Elite 2S 25C/35C 4800 Mah Li-Po, and a HP charger/balancer, but none of the chargers that charge Li-Pos seem to come with an AC wall adapter... Is there any charger that charges/balances Li-Pos and that also charges Ni-Cad/Ni-MH batteries for around $100? Also I was looking for a Li-Po voltage monitor on eBay, but all of them seem to use Align tap. I guess I could get an adapter but that would just push me more over-budget.

And will RCLipos.com put a connector on the Li-Po for me if I ask?

Darn, I forgot I need a MOSfet for my M14 too. :( Man switching over to Li-Pos is getting really expensive...

Here's my shopping list to get into Li-Pos

-Li-Po

-Charger/Balancer

-Voltage Monitor

-Li-Po Sack (I have a Ammo can so do I really need the Li-Po sack right away?)

I am having trouble keeping within my budget of around $150...

I was thinking the Elite 2S 25C/35C 4800 Mah Li-Po, and a HP charger/balancer, but none of the chargers that charge Li-Pos seem to come with an AC wall adapter... Is there any charger that charges/balances Li-Pos and that also charges Ni-Cad/Ni-MH batteries for around $100? Also I was looking for a Li-Po voltage monitor on eBay, but all of them seem to use Align tap. I guess I could get an adapter but that would just push me more over-budget.

And will RCLipos.com put a connector on the Li-Po for me if I ask?

Darn, I forgot I need a MOSfet for my M14 too. :( Man switching over to Li-Pos is getting really expensive...

First of all a 4800 lipo is really overkill for airsoft. I ran my 500 FPS M14 for 8 hours the other day on an 11.1v 2200 ThunderPower the other day. Look at the 2200MAh 30C elites. I've heard good things about them. That'll save you some money.

Regarding the charger. You're going to be hard pressed to find one that does all your battery types for about 100. Look at the second charger on this page:

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?sid=1251...g&scat=LIPO

It comes with an AC adapter.

I don't recall if RCLipos does connectors too or not. It wasn't a problem for me, as I had connectors at the house I was going to use anyway.

Component Shop use JST-XH taps on their Vapex LiPo's (as quoted on their website and as what are fitted on my LiPo that arrived from them yeterday :D). These may or may not be the same or similar to Polyquest taps, but according to infected's info from the rclipos website above they are the same as Align taps.

TBH tho', I've never seen the different types of connectors IRL :huh: so they could all be the same shape for all I know :)

Testing begins this weekend.........

Cheers

H.

ok, i'm sold with the lipo,

I've just ordered a flight power 30c 2000 2s & Bantam bc6 charger/balancer.

since I've all mod guns (Para', Scar,M4 etc.) what do you guys think will be the top spring this battery will be able to push optimally?

cheers

Archived