Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) Battery Primer

infected

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I don't think there's a spring that that battery would have a problem with. Your motor choice would be the thing to consider there.

ok, with the risk of going a little of topic what motor should I look at to keep up with the battery?

thanks

William

2200mAh: As usual, this is the capacity of the battery in milliamp-hours. The larger the capacity, the longer the battery will last before needing to be recharged.

Quote is taken from the beginning of Part 3. I think your nomenclature is a little off :) (no offense!) A minor correction for those of technically minded.

mAh is not a measure of Capcity as you state (at least not in the scientific definition) mAh is a measure of charge (Amps x time (or miliAmps x Time)). Charge in this case is the number of carriers available in a batteries potential current. (This is why you can multiply the C rating (which is actually a measure of time...) and get an AMP rating.) one Amp-Hour is 3600 Coulombs (one electron has roughly 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs in it).

What you were trying to get at is mAh generally speaking gives us a safe bet on how long a battery will last. The more mAh a battery has the longer it will last. This is because their is more charge carriers are capable of being in the battery at one time. So in some respect it measures the "Capacity" of the battery to have charge carriers put into it, but this Capacity has nothing to do with the technical term of Capacity (as in Capacitor, as in Fahrads)

So schemantics aside I think you are doing a great service to the airsoft community with this. I still will not touch Lipo's simply because of the infastructure change. I cant afford a decent set up and nothing of mine demands a smaller battery. Right now my battery set up provides me with everything my motor needs and doesnt require an infastructure change :)

Call me stubborn or what have you but I'm pretty confident I'm sticking to NiMH's and I'll let the "Competition" "abuse" me :)

Great article though, cant wait for number 4 since this stuff fascinates me :D Just thought I'd jump on and say "Hey good job but your nomenclature is a little off!" :)

Did I ever mention how I hate how College Calculus Based Physics RUINED airsoft electronics for me?

What you were trying to get at is mAh generally speaking gives us a safe bet on how long a battery will last. The more mAh a battery has the longer it will last. This is because their is more charge carriers are capable of being in the battery at one time. So in some respect it measures the "Capacity" of the battery to have charge carriers put into it, but this Capacity has nothing to do with the technical term of Capacity (as in Capacitor, as in Fahrads)

Did I ever mention how I hate how College Calculus Based Physics RUINED airsoft electronics for me?

Oh I realize there is a difference between capacitance and the "capacity" and what mAh means. I was just trying to word it in a manner that would be somewhat technical and at the same time not over everyone's head. :)

I started off college as an Electrical Engineering major, then Calculus Based physics pushed me into the IT world where i don't have to deal with that junk. :D

Oh I realize there is a difference between capacitance and the "capacity" and what mAh means. I was just trying to word it in a manner that would be somewhat technical and at the same time not over everyone's head. :)

I started off college as an Electrical Engineering major, then Calculus Based physics pushed me into the IT world where i don't have to deal with that junk. :D

Good call :) I think I explained it in a manner that people can understand :P I started off as an Aerospace Engineering major which lead me into.... Criminal Justice? Wtf? Ok no it didnt... I'm actually split between Crim Just or CIST (Computer Information Security Technology) Either way Calculus Based physics ruined airsoft... from springs to electronics... I can barely do internal work anymore...

Quick question... you should totally do a video guide lol, I've been having trouble sleeping and......... Just Kidding of course!

^_^

so where can i get a good lipo and charger? and what is the firefox lipo people are always talking about

Did your read my articles? I mention www.rclipos.com several times. Also, the firefox batteries are about useless. Read the 3rd article and it'll answer your questions.

ok, i'm sold with the lipo,

I've just ordered a flight power 30c 2000 2s & Bantam bc6 charger/balancer.

since I've all mod guns (Para', Scar,M4 etc.) what do you guys think will be the top spring this battery will be able to push optimally?

cheers

Forgetting the maths, (if this is the bat that I have previously quoted) I use it to great effect with m100's & below.

Obviously (as with any power source), best potential is released if you do the fet/deans/wire thing.

It will shift a 130+magnum, but this is not exactly spectacular.

Basically I use this bat with all the set ups I used to connect a 9.6v 3600mah subc to. Rof's are slightly up.

Greg.

Hey everyone! The final installment is out! Part 4 can be read here:

http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com/2008/...tteries-part-4/

In this part we discuss the actual work the can be done by the batteries.

Xaccers if you see something I got wrong, please let me know. Thanks!

Hey everyone! The final installment is out! Part 4 can be read here:

http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com/2008/...tteries-part-4/

In this part we discuss the actual work the can be done by the batteries.

Xaccers if you see something I got wrong, please let me know. Thanks!

I like it.

Always good to see a mathematical theory support personal observation. ;)

Greg.

the biggest advantage of lipos for me is the reduction of needed battery space, but one thing still bothers me...

is there a CraneStock LiPo for Armalites?

(I dont like PEQ's), i dont think its possible to fit the "normal" Lipopacks in there without a huge amount of dremeling and destroying your expensivley bought stock.

the biggest advantage of lipos for me is the reduction of needed battery space, but one thing still bothers me...

(I dont like PEQ's), i dont think its possible to fit the "normal" Lipopacks in there without a huge amount of dremeling and destroying your expensivley bought stock.

What about using something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-Marine-Battery-Sto...oQQcmdZViewItem

It might work.

for those wanting to use LiPo in a M4 with RIS there is always the option of fitting it in the RIS as I have done with my L119-A1 !

I currently run a Duramex 11.1V 1200mah in there and it really throws the rounds downrange and the is plenty of space to fit it .

I have also used this pack in the following:-

A&K M249 MK1 ( fits under the barrel without even taking up an inch of the actual battery compartment so amuch larger LiPo could be fitted there)

G36 full length with G&P long foregrip (fits perfectly in this space which doesnot even fit a 8.4v mini properly as it bulges the foregrip making the pin impossible to fit all the way) I think you may get a larger LiPo in this too

HK MP5 with real foreend (no conventional battery can be made to fit this at all)

HK416 crane stock (fits in one of the holes for conventional crane batteries with bags of space). The battery could also be fitted in the forend should you have a 416 with telescopic stock !

AK74SU fits on the battery tray with great ease ! (on the VFC/Kalash/Dboys one you can actually get them to slide down into the gas tube thereby allowing the use of a blowback bolt too !

HK53 with real foregrip (see MP5 notes)

I'll continue trying to fit this ine smaller spaces and post results here

edit - I hate PEQ boxes too which is why I gotthis pack (and more on the way) the crane stock has room for about 3 or more ofthese LiPo packs so no dremelling required !

for those wanting to use LiPo in a M4 with RIS there is always the option of fitting it in the RIS as I have done with my L119-A1 !

I currently run a Duramex 11.1V 1200mah in there and it really throws the rounds downrange and the is plenty of space to fit it .

I'd be interested to see a photo of the battery in the RIS mate if possible, I took a look inside my G&P RIS front end on my M4 earlier today and had doubts as to whether or not i could get a li-po fitted in there at all. Do you have a link to the 11.1v battery your using (wouldn't a 7.4v be smaller easier to fit?) I did a google search for the Duramex 11.1v but got nothing but mobile phone stuff :(

Just to remind you of a great suggestion made here previously:

Get one of those mag holders for your crane stock & mount the lipo in a dummy mag. Rear wire from there.

Very little work & a great solution.

Shame I can't take credit, or remember what post no it was. :rolleyes:

Greg.

A little browsing yielded the new Firefox 11.1v lipos which fit in buffer tubes. What's new you say? They are 20C instead of 12C. Now my question is, why don't they make a 7.4v config? I bet they would be quite popular.

but is that 20C continuous or 20C peak. I've seen a lot of 12C cont. with 20C peak. I bet it's marketing. Can you post a link?

I could only find the firefox 11.1v 1200mah (20c) listed on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIREFOX-1200mah-11-1V-...Q2em118Q2el1247

This looks to be the same type of pack that 1st Commando posted the photos of.

It does list the size of each cell in the pack.

Length: 120mm, Width: 18mm, Height: 5mm

Now to find somewhere that can make packs that size in 7.4v.

Archived