Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) Battery Primer

infected

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does any one know where i can get those little devices that hook on the balancer cable of a lipo and beeps when the cells drop below a certain voltage?

I got one off eBay the other day... From here. They also do a voltage meter, which could be useful too :)

This little fella looks like a great idea.

Certainly takes away the guess work & hassle of keeping count of how much ammo you have used.

In a way though, it sort of defeats the purpose of going lipo...................Space!! :D

Not that it's that big but. :huh:

However, if you have got enough space for it, (& you are a bit forgetful) I reckon it worth the dosh.

Greg

This little fella looks like a great idea.

Certainly takes away the guess work & hassle of keeping count of how much ammo you have used.

In a way though, it sort of defeats the purpose of going lipo...................Space!! :D

Not that it's that big but. :huh:

However, if you have got enough space for it, (& you are a bit forgetful) I reckon it worth the dosh.

Greg

not a problem for me as my aeg takes large batts and ive ordered a 2 cell 2200mah lipo :)

Now point me to a pack that fits in my M4 stock-tube!

Sorry mate, they are out there, but currently, I've not seen one with stats that impress.

Stick to what you have, or buy a decent gun. :D

As previously stated, lipos are currently only available in 'wafer' form, (rectangles!), so don't exactly lend themselves to 'tube fits'.

I have seen some low mah 11.1's about, but have no idea how they perform.

I think that as (if) lipo's catch on, we should see more options for this sort of thing.

Let's face it, these buffer tubed guns are popular. If I was a commercial battery supplier, I'd get a solution to this, 'cos it could mean early retirement.

Greg.

Sorry mate, they are out there, but currently, I've not seen one with stats that impress.

+1

the ones that fit those buffer tubes are not impressive at all. If you don't want a peq box, or a crane stock, consider going with an ACE stock and get a custom NiMH battery pack to fit it. That's what I did.

for those of you that want to have a concealed realistic looking large lipo setup on an armalite with collapsing stock here is mysolution... When I get back to the states I'll be doing this... Pick up a stock mag pouch, take stock of choice, put a rubber butpad on it, dremel, file, cut whatever a hole big enough for a deans connecter to fit through, get a hole in the back(ie part facing inwards towards the stock) of the mag pouch, then take a metal hicap, midcap, real mag with out follower and feed lips, or ready mag shell, and cut a hole in the same position as the ones on the mag pouch and stock, again, comfortably big enough for a deans connecter.... Take lipo of choice ( most lipos that are 11.1v and 3300-odd mah will fit well, judging by their sizes....) slide the deans wire out the hole and connect in stock..... this way there is nearly no chance of wiring showing, and it looks like something you'd see on a real gun.... take the balancer plug and put it near the opening of the mag(where you'd normal insert the mag into a magwell) and put in your low voltage meter.... Perfect setup, imo

Question. I'm thinking about buying a couple of small Lipo batteries that fit in some of the tighter battery compartments (UMP, SG552, etc) and found this:

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=2312

The dimensions look like it will work, and the price is definitely right.

One of the recommended chargers is this:

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=1624

which looks similar to the smart charger that I use with my NiMH batteries.

I plan on putting a deans plug on the battery.

Now the question is this:

Can I put a male deans plug on the charger (similar to my NiMH setup) and charge the battery using the same method, or do I need to charge it using the "JST 3-pin connector"? If so, would I have to put a male 3-pin connector on the charger? Also, what is the cell shield and lip shield that they recommend using? Is that optional, or necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Perfect setup, imo

Ten out of ten.

I'm not sure about exactly which lipos will fit, but there is bound to be one.

Well done.

Now on a serious note, if you go for a decent gun, like a G36, you won't have this problem. :lol:

Greg.

1, Can I put a male deans plug on the charger (similar to my NiMH setup) and charge the battery using the same method, or do I need to charge it using the "JST 3-pin connector"?

2, If so, would I have to put a male 3-pin connector on the charger?

3, Also, what is the cell shield and lip shield that they recommend using? Is that optional, or necessary?

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry but,

1, What's a JST 3-pin connector?

2, as above.

3, No idea. But would love to know. Anyone?

Greg.

Can I put a male deans plug on the charger (similar to my NiMH setup) and charge the battery using the same method, or do I need to charge it using the "JST 3-pin connector"? If so, would I have to put a male 3-pin connector on the charger? Also, what is the cell shield and lip shield that they recommend using? Is that optional, or necessary?

Thanks in advance.

The JST 3 pin connector is the li-poly pack balance connector. I would email them to make sure the charger you're looking at has the same connector for charging. Some people say you shouldn't charge though the balance connector, but I personaly haven't had a problem with it, and it greatly simplifies things. Just make sure your charger / balancer has the right balance connector and you're good to go. If they are not compatable, there is most likely and adapator (pretty cheap), that will work it all out for you.

My concern about that charger is this (taken from the link you posted):

4 Voltage selections at 3.6V, 7.2V, 10.8V and 14.4V

that seems a bit odd, as those are not li-poly voltages. Li-poly voltages would be 3.7, 7.4,11.1, 14.8. hum.... Might just be a typo on their part though.

I'm sorry but,

1, What's a JST 3-pin connector?

2, as above.

3, No idea. But would love to know. Anyone?

Greg.

click on the link for the battery and you see two sets of leads. One set (larger one without connectors) is used for discharging (or would be connected to your AEG) and the other set with a small connector. That connector is a JST 3-pin connector. I'm guessing that it's use to charge/balance/condition the battery? My main question was if the Lipos could be charged the same way as the regular NiMH batteries using Lipo chargers....for example, plug in the discharge leads/connector to the charging connector...or do you have to use the other set of connectors to charge it?

If you're using a charger with built in balancer, you'll plug the balance connector from the battery into the unit to charge it. Just make sure that they are the same type of plug with the same type of wiring as there are several different types of balance connectors (Align, PolyQuest, ThunderPower, etc.). I wish they would make a standard for them. Adapters are cheap though, so don't fret if you need one.

On another note, sorry for the delay on the 3rd part to the li-poly series. I'm working as fast as I can. I run my own business aside from making mosfets and running InfectedAirsoft, and things have been hectic. I'll try to get that article out ASAP!

Does anyone think my rather stock TM M14 (Upgraded with metal bushings, metal spring guide, M100 spring) could take a decent to good 7.4v (2S) Li-Po (around 3000Mah, 20-30C continuous) without burning up the trigger contacts or shredding the TM gears? Also I won't really be using Full-Auto at all, 90% of the time it will stay in semi. I don't want my trigger contact to die as I would probably never find replacments. Or should I really put a MOSfet in my M14, and a decent Steel gearset? I really don't want to waste $40+ on a good 8.4v NiMH battery when I will be buying a Li-Po eventually anyway... Especially when most Ni-Cad/Ni-MH large batteries won't really fit too well in the TM M14 stock...

click on the link for the battery and you see two sets of leads. One set (larger one without connectors) is used for discharging (or would be connected to your AEG) and the other set with a small connector. That connector is a JST 3-pin connector. I'm guessing that it's use to charge/balance/condition the battery? My main question was if the Lipos could be charged the same way as the regular NiMH batteries using Lipo chargers....for example, plug in the discharge leads/connector to the charging connector...or do you have to use the other set of connectors to charge it?

Ah, many thanks, I had no idea this was called a jst3.

As far as I knew, it was just for ballancing & the two main leads (red & balck) would be joined to your deans & used for charging, as per Nimhs etc, via a lipo suitable charger.

Greg.

Does anyone think my rather stock TM M14 (Upgraded with metal bushings, metal spring guide, M100 spring) could take a decent to good 7.4v (2S) Li-Po (around 3000Mah, 20-30C continuous) without burning up the trigger contacts or shredding the TM gears? Also I won't really be using Full-Auto at all, 90% of the time it will stay in semi. I don't want my trigger contact to die as I would probably never find replacments. Or should I really put a MOSfet in my M14, and a decent Steel gearset? I really don't want to waste $40+ on a good 8.4v NiMH battery when I will be buying a Li-Po eventually anyway... Especially when most Ni-Cad/Ni-MH large batteries won't really fit too well in the TM M14 stock...

Should be fine.

As already posted, FP's 30C 7.4v 2000mah gives similar performance to a 9.6v 3600mah nimh, so expect an improvement in rof. The set up you have at present should be able to take it.

I'd go for a mosfet (I use infecteds) as the 'semi' use will eventually eat up your contacts.

Greg.

Archived