"Army of Two" Airsoft Skirmish Masks Review

"Army of Two" Airsoft Skirmish Masks

Brought to the USA by Cactus Hobbies, the new Army of Two skirmish masks are here... and the verdict is a resounding thumbs up! :)

Background of the mask:

• Real Steel vs. Fictitious mask:
Real Steel Ballistic Mask~
Evolved from medieval helmets to riot helmets, Tactical Ballistic Masks capable of stopping shrapnel and small arms fire have been around for a while (seen here). One of the more common Tactical Ballistic Masks available only to Law Enforcement and Military Personnel are designed to withstand fragmentation and level IIIA ballistic threats. Aside from safety concerns, Tactical Ballistic Masks are also designed with the intent to instill fear in the enemy. The masks are simple in aesthetic design, sit close to the face, are all black and feature a six point harness to secure it to the user's head.

Fictitious Ballistic Mask~
Taking the same design concepts from the real steel Tactical Ballistic Mask, Electronic Arts developed a Tactical shooter game called Army of Two (AO2) that features two mercenaries fighting side by side adorned with uniquely designed Ballistic Masks. The two main characters are Elliot Salem and Tyson Rios, former US Army Rangers, now Security and Strategy Corporation (SSC) Operatives (mercenaries/contractors). Their masks are thematically different from one another to better reflect their inner personalities. Similar to the real steel version of the mask, the fictitious Ballistic Masks in AO2 are more or less simple in aesthetic design, have an all black base color (although various paint schemes are depicted) and feature a five point harness to secure it to the user's head. And just like the real steel Ballistic mask, the AO2 mask is likewise designed to instill fear in the enemy.

ao2cs01smallzx0.jpg

It is these masks that the Dizon brothers have chosen to replicate as Airsoft Protective Face Masks.

Like the Filipino Sykes Airsoft Face Mask that Cactus Hobbies brought a few months back (see review here), the next product Cactus Hobbies has brought us from the Philippines is the Army of Two Airsoft Face Mask. Manufactured by a different company, the Army of Two Masks are the product of two brothers, Marino Dizon and Tony Dizon. The Army of Two masks they make are a fiberglass shell with built in wire mesh for eye protection.

Cactus Hobbies states that this mask can withstand pellet hits at 500+ FPS at Point Blank Range.

So here's what I found:

• Sculpt of the Mask:
One of the things I like best about these masks are how incredibly accurately they're sculpted. Having an art background I tend to be overly critical on the way things look. Before receiving them I was super concerned on how well the execution of EA's designs would be. With a product like this, normally one would expect that a licensed replica of the AO2 mask would be copied. Unfortunately, no licensed replica existed and so the Dizon Brothers had to painstakingly create their own versions starting with sculpting the two distinct masks based off in-game screen shots, cut scenes and the scant few reference imagery available on the net.

While there are two different masks featured in the game, the Dizon Brothers actually created 3 different A02 masks: one for Salem's Smooth/Flame Mask, and two versions of Rios' Skull mask. The two skull masks are referred to as two different sizes of the same mask (large and medium) whereas the Flames mask is only available in large. I have suspicions that the Dizon Brothers started on the medium sized Skull mask first and when they were almost finished with it realized that the mask would have to be a little bigger in order to fit more players out there. So as not to waste a perfectly decent sculpt, they ended up still using the first sculpt's design as a medium sized mask, but then duplicating it exactly onto a larger format resulting in a "large" sized skull mask. The Smooth/Flame mask sculpt was probably built soon after that, as its overall dimensions are almost identical internally and externally to the large Skull mask.

As mentioned before, I was quite nervous about how well the Dizon Brothers could pull off the sculpt of these masks. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased and impressed as to how accurately they were able to replicate the designs of the in-game 3D masks. The shape is dead on. The side and front shapes and silhouettes are exactly as envisioned by the game designers. The detailing in the Flames mask was very nice and crisp and they even remembered to sculpt in an extremely realistic looking bullet dent on the forehead just as it is on the digital version. I was equally impressed with the Skull Mask which IMHO was probably a little harder to pull off sculpting wise as there's a lot more detailing in the face. But again, the Dizon Brothers did not disappoint and produced a beautiful sculpt with grizzly scarring and teeth impressions as featured in the 3D version.

skullvssmoothsmallfw9.jpg
Left to right: Skull (Large), Smooth/Flame (Large, Blank Version)

Honestly, I feel that the Dizon Brothers did a fantastic job of capturing the overall essence as well as all the finer details of the masks they were trying to recreate.

• Outer Shell Material:
The outer shell of the airsoft AO2 masks is made from fiberglass. Typically, the process of creating a product from fiberglass is very involved. After the sculpt is finished, a mold is created which is the negative impression of the sculpt. To ensure that all the detail of the sculpt is captured, resin is often poored and/or painted into the mold surface until a somewhat thin layer coats the entire inside of the mold. This is done as the resin is able to get into all the nooks and crannies of the mold whereas if they went straight to the fiberglass, a lot of the details would be lost. With a thin layer of resin done, it is then backed by resin soaked fiberglass sheets which gives the mask its high strength. Some people working with fiberglass keep the fiberglass end product relatively thin, because (1) even a thin layer of fiberglass can make something very strong, and (2) it's neither pleasant to work with nor is it a fast process. Upon examining my AO2 masks I noted that the thickness of the fiberglass is very substantial. These masks were made to take a beating and should easily withstand anything typically thrown at it in a typical airsoft skirmish. The detailing was pretty consistent from mask to mask showing that they took their time with it and the finish was nice and clean.

Another aspect I liked about these masks is the extra care they took to the inside of the fiberglass shell. For anyone who has bought one of the Sykes Airsoft Face Masks or read my review, you will recall how displeased I was at the inside of the mask which was basically raw fiberglass, making it very uncomfortable against the skin and very itchy, especially if you have any facial hair as the hairs would get pulled on the fiberglass repeatedly. I remedied the problem on the Sykes mask by giving the inside of the mask a good sanding which didn't take long, but was definitely something that I wish Sykes had taken care of. Such was not the case with these AO2 masks. The AO2 masks were nicely cleaned up and they even went to an extra step of coating the inside of the mask with a thin layer of some kind of rubbery material. The texture of the fiberglass is still somewhat present, however the discomfort it generated was thankfully absent.

• Mesh Lenses:
The fact that the Dizon Brothers chose to go with a mesh lens is awesome. Putting polycarbonate lenses on a mask like this would probably lead to heavy fogging. Whereas with mesh, you'll never have fogging issues but you will encounter a reduction in overall visibility due to the mesh obscuring a percentage of your vision (more on this in a bit).
The way the Dizon Brother integrated the mesh lenses into the mask was brilliant. It appears that, as they laid down the fiberglass layers inside the mask, halfway through the layering process they installed the lenses and then continued to layer the fiberglass. This results in the fiberglass sandwiching the mesh lenses and thus holding the lens VERY securely in place. These lenses aren't going anywhere. Mounting of the lenses aside, the next important part of mesh lenses is what particular type of metal mesh material is used for the eye protection. There are many variables that define the viability of using a metal mesh for eye protection such as, woven vs. perforated mesh, type of metal, thickness of the metal, pattern of the holes, hole size, hole spacing distance, the amount of deformation needed to fit it to the mask, etc.
As for the mesh the Dizon Brothers used in these AO2 masks this is my opinion:
* Woven vs. Perforated mesh: A lot of testing has been done in the airsoft community in recent years as to what kind of mesh is acceptable and what kind of mesh can guarantee you loss of vision. There are currently two basic metal mesh types out there that is being used on goggles. There's the type that features metal wires that are woven together in a cross hatched method. Then there's the type that starts off as a solid metal sheet that is then perforated (pierced/stamped) over and over again to form a mesh like pattern. After extensive testing by many different parties, the common consensus is that the former, Woven Wire Mesh type, is not sufficient for our uses in airsoft as tests show that BBs can exploit weaknesses in the weave and puncture the woven wire mesh. The other latter mesh, the Perforated Metal Sheet type, has been deemed sufficient at deflecting BBs with minimal deformation to the mesh itself. The mesh that the Dizon's chose to use is the Perforated Mesh type... and that's good.
* Type of metal: The AO2 masks use Steel mesh. IMHO, nothing weaker than steel should be used for eye protection. Aluminum mesh is NOT sufficient. Testing I've done has shown that unless the aluminum is ridiculously thick, it isn't right for eye protection (and even then). Steel on the other hand is.
* Thickness of the metal: The AO2 masks use 22 Gauge Steel Perforated Sheet. I'd say 22 gauge is the bare minimum thickness you can get away with. Personally I prefer 20 or 18 gauge steel sheet (the lower the gauge number the thicker the sheet is). However the 22 gauge sheet they use seems sufficient.
* Amount of deformation needed to fit it to the mask: In order to get the lenses into the mask you often need to deform/bend it a little to conform to the curvature of the mask. The less you bend the mesh the stronger it is, as bending the mesh weakens it. Very little bend is introduced to these AO2 masks, so that's good.
* Pattern of the Holes: Staggered layout of the hole pattern is pretty standard for this application and works a little better with your eyes over straight up and down holes.
* Hole size: A little large for my taste. Personally I prefer smaller holes to increase the amount of protection to the eyes.
* Hole spacing: In conjunction with hole sizing, hole spacing is very important. The smaller the hole spacing (the distance between two holes) the better for visibility as larger spacing means that space is taken up by metal sheet which blocks your visibility. This is perhaps the only part of the mask I'm not 100% satisfied with. IMHO, the hole size and spacing is not at an optimum ratio and visibility is not as good as it could be. It's not terrible, but there's definitely room for improvement. I have done my own tests on various different pieces of perforated steel sheet metal, and have a good idea as to what would work well for these masks but have yet to hear back from Cactus Hobbies about my feedback on this issue. I'm currently wondering if it is possible to retrofit my AO2 masks with some better mesh but it might be too much of a pain to do.

*** Disclaimer : Wire Mesh masks are not as safe as ANSI rated paintball lens masks. It is entirely possible that small fragments can pass through. If you choose to use a mesh mask you do so at your own risk. These do NOT meet ANSI guidelines or requirements, and there's always the possibility of serious injury.

• Padding:
The padding... ahhh the padding... you can't not fall in love with the padding in this mask. On some masks you'd expect straight foam and not much else. The Dizon Brothers have carefully devised a system for maximum comfort here. They take foam sheets, cut them to shape, envelope the foam shapes in padded breathable material and attached the padding to the inside of the mask. The foam used is comprised of two different thicknesses and densities of foam... thicker on top (forehead area) and thinner on the sides. When the mask is pressed up against your face it is extraordinarily comfortable. As mentioned earlier, the Dizon Brothers coated the inside of the outer fiberglass shell in a rubbery material so that the fiberglass would never irritate your skin. But even if they hadn't done that step I think most wearers would have been fine as the internal padding keeps the outer fiberglass shell well off your face. The padding also helps offset the mask just enough that you never feel suffocated and have ample breathing room. For players out there who wear glasses, there should be adequate room to were your glasses under the mask. Not sure exactly what kind of material they used to wrap the foam with, but it seems to do a fantastic job of keeping the sweat out of my eyes. The comfort of the padding is perhaps one of my favorite features of this mask.

paddingnx6.jpg

• Harness System:
These masks feature a 5 point harness system. Elastic Straps are connected to the mask using simple off the shelf low profile screws (similar to those used on binding posts) and nuts. The straps then converge together at the back of the head and are all connected to a nicely tailored pad. Each individual strap features a standard side release buckle and tri-glide allowing the user to adjust the straps to his or her head. Personally, once adjusted, I don't bother unbuckling them as the elastic straps have just enough stretch to let you comfortably slip the mask on and off, and yet the whole system is more than secure when worn.

inside01dk6.jpgpaddingandharnessdr3.jpg

One word of caution though! Upon receiving your AO2 mask, take a minute to thread lock the screw to the nuts that attach the straps to the mask. A few of my teammates discovered while testing their masks out that the screws became loose and a strap came undone. It's an easy fix... but certainly not one you'd want to have to deal with mid-game. So be sure to fix that ASAP!

Should you ever loose the mounting hardware (screws, nuts, side release buckles) they can be easily replaced. Also, I like the fact that because the straps are only semi-permanently attached to the mask using the screws, if I ever needed to replace the elastic because it became stretched out, that too would be easily replaced. Replacement of any of these parts would probably not have to happen for a very long time though.

As previously stated, these replica AO2 masks feature a 5 point harness system, 2 on either side, one going over the top. However the masks in the game actually had a six point harness (three on either side). That said, I'm more than satisfied with the 5 point harness that the Dizon Brothers installed on their masks, and in my opinion, the five point harness system may even be more secure than the 6 point harness featured in the game. The strap over the top of the head is pretty crucial to ensuring that the mask doesn't slip down.

• Coloring and finish:
Cactus Hobbies refers to the smooth Salem mask as the "Flames mask", and the skull-like Rios mask as the "Skull Mask".

The Skull Mask comes in two sizes and features a darkish base coloring, with subtle metallic drybrushing on top which beautifully highlights the skull features throughout the mask and gives it a bad-*albatross* metallic look. There are no other paint schemes currently being offered for the skull masks.

The Flames Mask comes in just one size but several different paint schemes from "Blank" (which could mean flat black, gloss black, or dark green), to a variety of Salem's stylistic flames on the side of his mask in either Red (a.k.a. "Ordinary"), Blue, or Green flames. The flames are painted using an airbrush, and although not quite as detailed as the paint scheme seen in the game, is an excellent rendition of it.

The following are pics of several variations of the Army of Two Masks (Pic courtesy of Cactus Hobbies).
cactushobbies01rq5.jpg
From Left to Right: Skull (Large), Smooth Ordinary Flames, Skull (Medium/Small), Smooth Blue Flames.

In the game, you can upgrade your gear including new paint schemes for your mask. For your reference, here are the various paint schemes either character has access to in the game (only the first style in each category is available for the airsoft masks. If you like what you see, you'll have to paint your own) ...

Salem / "Flames" Smooth Mask:
Custom Ink (aka "Flames")
Urban War
Desert Shield
SSC Operative
Outlander
Ranger
Sideshow
Islander
The Clyde
Red Devil
The Haka
Pale Rider

Rios / Metallic Skull Mask:
Grim Reminder
Sidewinder
Woodland War
Desert Storm
Mojave Brave
SSC Elite
Grey Wolf
Black Watch
Dark Heart
Street War
Justice
AO2 Veteran

• Appearance when worn and sizing:
I remember as a small child back in the late seventies/early eighties my older brother had a Star Wars Stormtrooper helmet. I thought that Stormtrooper helmet was THE coolest costuming piece EVAR! Of course I never admitted to myself that when worn I looked like a Bobble Headed version of a Stormtrooper. That would shatter the illusion. ;) Years later I'm stuck in this 5'7" frame and I ain't getting any taller. Being of average height, you never know how something like a mask is going to fit on you. So you can imagine my trepidation at buying these masks not knowing if I was going to relive childhood Stormtooper-like BobbleHeadedness. Furthermore my team wanted to piggy back my order to Cactus Hobbies and we have a lot of variety in heights amongst us. As stated earlier in this review, the skull type mask comes in medium and large sizes, whereas the smooth "Flames" type mask only comes in a large size. Upon receiving the masks we were very pleased to find that the masks were highly accommodating for people of various heights (from 5'5" to 6'+).

Someone shorter than 5'5" could definitely wear the large sized masks, but the medium sized mask may be a better fit. Also, the medium sized mask might be better for people with smaller faces. Generally though, we found that the "large" masks was good for most players out there from average height to tall individuals.

* Click here for a picture of someone about 5'5"/5'6" wearing the large Smooth/Flames Mask.
* Click here for someone about 6'2" wearing a large Smooth/Flames Mask
As you can see from these pictures, while either user is of dramatically different heights, the mask doesn't look too over/under sized for either of them.

The "large" sized masks in the smooth "Flames" style and the "Skull" Style seemed to be more or less the same size, overall shape and fit.

comparisonside01smallfr9.jpg
Left to right: Skull (Large), Smooth/Flame (Large)

comparisonside02smallax5.jpg
Left to right: Skull (Large), Skull (Medium/Small)
Taking a closer look between the medium and large skull masks, the medium mask is a little narrower both internally and externally,
and the overall coverage of the human face doesn't reach quite as far back as that of the large mask. Sculpt-wise, they're almost identical.
comparisonsanglessmallik7.jpg
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Compatibility with Comunication Gear:

This is tough as there are so many different types of headset out there. The mask does reach pretty far back on the face, and on most people would probably go past the ears making bulky headset difficult to use. That said, one of my friends and teammates, Jonard, was able to adjust his Devgru Frogman Headset to go over the entire mask. He said it worked fine and surprisingly we all felt it looked very cool:

withheadset02mr4.jpgwithheadset01ca0.jpg

Jonard here is wearing the Large Skull Mask

• The Price:

When I bought the masks the prices were a bit cheaper than they are now. To be honest, I felt that the price I paid for them was a little under priced for what you got as these were so damn good (especially compared to the Sykes Mask which I felt was over priced). I bought them for $60-65 (depending on style and paint job). Their current prices are:

Smooth "Flames" Mask: US$80.00 (For all paint schemes - Blue, Green, Ordinary (Red), and Blank)

Metallic "Skull" Mask: US$85.00 (For either size).

Still a great deal in my opinion!

Pro / Con list:

Pros:

* Excellent sculpt, perfectly capturing the designs of the masks in the game.

* Very Comfortable

* Very Securely held on

* Strongly built

* Reasonably priced for what you get

* No fogging

* Excellent face coverage

Cons:

* Mesh visibility could be better

* Screws need to be more secure

* Might be outside of the budget of some airsofters.

Conclusion:

While not cheap, even at the higher price I still feel that these are a bargain. They're solid, comfortable to wear, highly customizable (paint wise) and you'll never have to worry about fogging with them. Even though I feel that the visibility through the steel mesh could be a little better, your brain quickly adjusts and it shortly becomes a non-issue. Looks wise I couldn't ask for more. Whether you're a fan of the Army of Two game, or just a fan of the concept design, I honestly feel that everyone will be pleased when they see how well the Dizon Brothers replilcated the aesthetics of the game masks into real skirmishable Airsoft Protective Masks.

All in all, these masks are fantastic. My thanks go out to the Dizon Brothers for making this a reality, and to Cactus Hobbies for making these masks accessible to the rest of the world.

Hope you enjoyed the review and Happy 'Softing! :)

You convinced my to spend my last bit of cash on the Large Smooth...

Thanks a lot :o

Yeah... it's hard to decide between the two masks. They both look good IMHO.

nice review. Might have to invest in one of these babies. :)
I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised as I was. I wasn't expecting much, and found it to be a super comfortable mask... and for that entire OP, people were referring to my teammates as "the death head guys" because we had so many of us with them.

Yep, looks like I need a nice big armor, like SAS SDU vest from EHobbyAsia to go with it. :) Or a cheap EOD collar to fit on an integrated armor vest.
The shoulder pieces and leg pieces might be a bit hard to find a comparable RS gear to, but for the rest of it, I think you could get:

PANTAC OTV Collar Pad ( Khaki )

PANTAC OTV Deltoid Protactor ( Khaki )

PANTAC MOLLE Recon Chest Harness ( Khaki )

Great review USCM. Very detailed. Told me everything I needed to know.
Excellent! :)
TBH, i think you've pretty much convinced me to get one of these now. I'm growing more toward the plain version rather than the Skull (just personal preference i guess) Don't suppose you know if they'll ship to the UK?
I'm pretty sure they do. Drop them an email and ask them. Also, it's possible that during the check out process through their website they'll give you a shipping quote. Can't remember off hand exactly. Sorry bud.

wow these certainly do look good, can i ask though what size mask (smooth type not the skull if that makes any difference) would be best suited to me, I'm 6 foot 2", and i usually wear a large motorbike helmet, do i go for the large version?
Absolutely! My teammate in this photo is about the same measurements as you and it fits very nicely. In fact, you probably have the ideal height for the large mask. That said, another friend of mine who was 5'5" wore the same mask and it still looked good on him. Size wise, these seem to work for people of many different heights.

And just to clarify, the Smooth Mask ONLY comes in Large. It's the Skull mask that comes in both Medium and Large. But like I said, the Smooth Mask will fit the vast majority of people just fine. I'm 5'7" and the large Smooth and Skull masks both look good on me.

Nice review bud.
Thanks! :) It's all about giving back to the community! ;)

i had this review done a while ago ;

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=149188

but yours is cool and has more info

LOL ! Thanks! I had this review written more or less as soon as I received the masks a while back (5 or 6 weeks ago) but delayed publishing it because I wanted to edit it a little more, I had too much work, and I wanted to add some in game pics. When I saw your review I was glad someone had written one because I really wanted someone to get the word out on these fantastic products and I know Cactus Hobbies could use the publicity. I didn't watch your review as I didn't want it to affect the writing of my own, but now that I've finished this one I'll definitely take the time to enjoy yours! ;)
only thing i dont really like is the mesh, reckon they could be modified to have clear plastic? i suppose there is the issue with fogging then though

Yeah, I'd be worried about fogging. That said, you could probably remove the mesh entirely and wear ANSI rated ballistic glasses under the mask. That might work better than trying to install lens on them.

My friends that tested their masks for the whole day all said that eventually they didn't even notice the mesh soon after donning the mask. And several of them were shot in the face mask at very close quarters because a lot of the people we were playing against were new and weren't good at maintaining minimum engagement distances. They were very appreciative of the masks then... and these are guys that generally HATE full face masks!

Right now I have three of these masks: one large skull, and two Smooth masks. One of my friends who is an excellent 40K modeler/painter is painting up one of the masks in the regular flames style, and I'm going to paint up the second Smooth mask in the Pale Rider paint scheme.

Thanks a lot. I'm going for OD though, just for practicality.

Cool. Actually, from the pics I've seen, their camo is in fact a very faded woodland but I don't believe those particular pieces come in woodland. So you could hypothetically go with OD, and dust it with Tan. ;)

They come in plain OD and that's enough. Also, thanks for the screenshots of all mask patterns ("Unlocked: Man of Many Masks" ;) ), I wanted to see them as I'm going for a custom paintjob (surely including bear paw prints, reference to one of my nicknames).

Hey USCM, I agree wholeheartedly with your review, but I have one question to ask.

Do you or any of your teammates have any trouble viewing iron sights/holosights while wearing the mask? Using my LR300 I cannot see my EOTech reticle at all without going into some incredibly awkward position to try to look down the gun.

I haven't tried on my SCAR yet, I'll go try right now and update it with what I can see.

Okay, I tried it with my SCAR-L. With the cheekrest in the lowest position, I can see the reticle with only my right eye, and with the cheekrest in the upper position I can't see it at all without being incredibly uncomfortable.

Edited by m98man
Do you or any of your teammates have any trouble viewing iron sights/holosights while wearing the mask? Using my LR300 I cannot see my EOTech reticle at all without going into some incredibly awkward position to try to look down the gun.

It's not the easiest pair of goggles to sight with. I've gotten used to tracing the BBs.

As with the Sykes: Compatibility with spectacles?

As stated in the review, you should be fine. ;)