"Army of Two" Airsoft Skirmish Masks Review

I'll take a pic tonight. Not sure if I approve the mesh to the same degree as the Bitter End is. It's possible that the AO2 mesh lenses will hold up to the same level of punishment... but the Bitter End stuff is hands down better. I talked to Alex, the owner of Cactus Hobbies, on the phone again yesterday. I gave her my user input and suggestions on how to make it better. I think the only point that I stressed the most was the mesh. Also, I have a surplus of the high end steel mesh (almost the same as the Bitter End stuff) that is ideal for this application from another project I did (to be posted soon). I offered to cut it up and send it to the Dizon brothers as I have enough mesh for about 1500 masks!

We're talking about getting this mesh into their AO2 masks, which if done would make the masks a full 10/10 score.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you talk to her again. Tell her about getting a better paintjob on Salem's mask (aka the smooth mask). Although that's probably not up to her, thats really like 90% of the reason why I'm not buying it. Here are some masks ( not from them) that are painted a LOT better.

http://i6.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/f5/1e/a27e_1.JPG

http://i4.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/f5/1e/a1e2_1.JPG

http://shutter01.pictures.aol.com/data/pic...Quh4W3j0300.jpg

http://shutter03.pictures.aol.com/data/pic...WYV8vqM0300.jpg

And incase you wanted to see a different paintjob.

http://shutter01.pictures.aol.com/data/pic...9tSLt0N0300.jpg

Oh and uscm, you have to post pictures of your mask when its done being painted.

Edited by Spartan117x

Thanks for the review, this mask looks awesome to say the least...

I may be nitpicking but I wish Cactus hobbies made the mask more of a welding mask style affair like you see in the promotional artwork, but then again, you can somewhat flip the mask up okay without the welding mask-style suspension...

oh well, always a DIY project somewhere out there...

If you talk to her again. Tell her about getting a better paintjob on Salem's mask (aka the smooth mask). Although that's probably not up to her, thats really like 90% of the reason why I'm not buying it. Here are some masks ( not from them) that are painted a LOT better.

Those are painted well. Not perfectly as in the game but much better. Part of the problem with painting up a mask is the amount of labor involved. To really do it right, the Salem mask should first be painted in US Woodland Camo. Then the flames added after that. To make it fast, the Dizon Bros just airbrush all the paint on there and while the result isn't horrible by any means, it does look a little soft and less detailed. To do it accurately, it would take a lot more time, labor, and attention to detail. This will most likely result in: higher cost per mask, and slower turn around times (although they've staffed up significantly over there, they're still limited to 70 masks a week).

What I think would be an awesome idea is if someone with the skills and interest to do it, would offer their painting skills for sale. An ideal situation would be for someone to buy a mask from Cactus Hobbies, have it sent directly to a professional painter, and then when the painter is done, the completed mask can be sent to the buyer. I'd imagine a very decent paint job would be in the neighborhood of $70 to $125. I'm not aware of any one out there currently offering these services however.

Oh and uscm, you have to post pictures of your mask when its done being painted.

Will do! :)

I may be nitpicking but I wish Cactus hobbies made the mask more of a welding mask style affair like you see in the promotional artwork, but then again, you can somewhat flip the mask up okay without the welding mask-style suspension...

I think the Dizon Brothers were focused on keeping the skirmish masks to what was featured in the game itself. Personally, I'd be nervous having a flip up suspension system for these masks as when playing we move about so much and with such jarring movements, I'd be worried about the mask flipping up accidentally exposing my eyes and face. I think it's cool in concept, but very difficult to implement safely. When I'm not using the mask I just take it off. ;)

So in the end are these as "approved" as the Bitter End stuff is?

Can you take a pic of this next to them for a comparison of the hole sizing difference you mentioned.

As promised, here are the comparison pics:

First pic is the sample BitterEnd mesh I was given for review testing next to the AO2 mesh:

meshcomparison01ak8.jpg

Now a pic of a pair of BitterEnd Fast Strike's next to the AO2 mesh:

meshcomparison02ep9.jpg

And a pic of some mesh I've been testing which I bought from McMasterCarr next to the AO2 mesh:

meshcomparison03ae7.jpg

The mesh in the last pic is what I'm suggesting the Dizon Brothers switch to, and I'm probably going to send them a sample to test with.

I think I would prefer the mesh thats already in the mask. I have some mesh similar to what you've shown and I only use it for vents , as it reduces the vision alot . Then again I use mesh with larger holes than the ao2 stuff by the look of it . I think the 500 fps claim is questionable, as they only look to have 3-4 layers of fiber glass matte ,with alot of resin to bulk it out .Which adds no strength. If its anything like the sykes ,I found this review here http://www.ampair.net/e107_plugins/forum/f....php?35576.last . Although I'm sure it'll take most hits compitantly. I'd realy like to see your creation when you finnish it .Infact it was you who inspired me to do seperate eye holes in my latest mask, after our chat about the sykes , cheers :D

Edited by heroshark
I think I would prefer the mesh thats already in the mask. I have some mesh similar to what you've shown and I only use it for vents , as it reduces the vision alot . Then again I use mesh with larger holes than the ao2 stuff by the look of it . I think the 500 fps claim is questionable, as they only look to have 3-4 layers of fiber glass matte ,with alot of resin to bulk it out .Which adds no strength. If its anything like the sykes ,I found this review here http://www.ampair.net/e107_plugins/forum/f....php?35576.last . Although I'm sure it'll take most hits compitantly. I'd realy like to see your creation when you finnish it .Infact it was you who inspired me to do seperate eye holes in my latest mask, after our chat about the sykes , cheers :D

This isn't anything like the Sykes Mask though. The AO2 mask is much better built on every level. They definitely spent the time to layer more fiberglass into it. The overall thickness is also much thicker than the Sykes Mask.

As far as fps goes, I've been doing a lot of testing on the various meshes. Regardless of whether or not the Fiberglass can take a 500fps hit (which so far it has from my test), I'm more concerned about the mesh as that is what protects the eyes. The current AO2 mesh has been tested and took the hits, while slight deformation was noted... but no penetration.

Regarding the mesh size, I really recommend taking a closer look at the mesh with the smaller hole size. For visibility, it's not only hole size, but also, the distance from the center of one hole to the next. The AO2 distance from one hole to the next is too large IMHO, which results in a large amount of metal obscuring vision. The current AO2 mesh can make BB tracing a little difficult. The smaller holed mesh I've been testing has a larger percentage of open area and it barely cuts down on vision at all. The difference is quite noticeable when seen side by side.

Also the smaller holed mesh is 20 gauge steel (thicker) whereas the AO2 mesh is 22 gauge steel (thinner).

This isn't anything like the Sykes Mask though. The AO2 mask is much better built on every level. They definitely spent the time to layer more fiberglass into it. The overall thickness is also much thicker than the Sykes Mask.

As far as fps goes, I've been doing a lot of testing on the various meshes. Regardless of whether or not the Fiberglass can take a 500fps hit (which so far it has from my test), I'm more concerned about the mesh as that is what protects the eyes. The current AO2 mesh has been tested and took the hits, while slight deformation was noted... but no penetration.

Regarding the mesh size, I really recommend taking a closer look at the mesh with the smaller hole size. For visibility, it's not only hole size, but also, the distance from the center of one hole to the next. The AO2 distance from one hole to the next is too large IMHO, which results in a large amount of metal obscuring vision. The current AO2 mesh can make BB tracing a little difficult. The smaller holed mesh I've been testing has a larger percentage of open area and it barely cuts down on vision at all. The difference is quite noticeable when seen side by side.

Also the smaller holed mesh is 20 gauge steel (thicker) whereas the AO2 mesh is 22 gauge steel (thinner).

I see :) .from what I've seen in all the pictures ,it looks of a very similar thickness to the sykes .I would recomend at least 1 maybe 2 layers of fiberglass cloth in a mask it would increase the strength 10 fold rather than purely matte ,if thats what it is. As for the mesh ,I see what you mean. The mesh I use is probably of a similar size hole, but with less material between than the ao2 mesh .

Does anyone of you have a photo of OTV with collar and Ao2 mask worn together?

142ro60.jpg

My mate has that vest and wears it with the mask. The collar doesn't show because he supplements it with a shemagh at the moment. The collar just isn't high enough to give any adequate protection due to the lack of any true rear head/neck protection from the mask.

We're both planning on making up some oversized EOD-style collars to replace the IBA/OTV collar option.

http://i37.tinypic.com/142ro60.jpg

My mate has that vest and wears it with the mask. The collar doesn't show because he supplements it with a shemagh at the moment. The collar just isn't high enough to give any adequate protection due to the lack of any true rear head/neck protection from the mask.

We're both planning on making up some oversized EOD-style collars to replace the IBA/OTV collar option.

That looks great! You know... the flames mask looks much better than I originally expected.

If you're going to wear plastic lenses under the mask, you may as well use a dremel to remove the mesh that's already there and just go with the lenses alone.

As for the safety, I know multiple teammates of mine have been shot at very short range in the mesh... none had problems. But with everything in airsoft there are risks. As a player you need to weigh those risks and determine for yourself what is acceptable and what isn't.

After using mesh for as many years as I have, I have no reservations over using mesh. But that's me.

Well, I was thinking about some sort of real low-profile, lightweight, crappy plastic lenses that won't fog and are basically barely there - they type of lenses that would easily shatter if hit by a BB, but will do enough to keep fragments out of my eyes. Like safety glasses for woodwork or whatever or even non-magnifying eyeglasses.

Very tempted by the flames blank, but I'm just a bit concerned about the issue of sweat. I've got Britain's sweatiest head (a title I treasure....not!), and wonder whether it'd make it worse, or whether there's enough ventilation in the eyes and face holes, coupled with the gaps at the end of the mask...

Oh, and I've enquired about shipping to the UK, which is $39, so quite reasonable :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my mask last night and it was worth the wait, the pictures don't really do it justice. It really looks and feels great.

I've been using a full face mask for at least 3 years now, and it was time to replace it. First impressions about trying it on, is that my field of vision is much better, I now have much better views of the side of my head, the other things which was apparent was how quickly I got use to it and that the meshing “disappeared”. I’ve been using a mesh mask for a long time so my eyes quickly adjusted to it.

Other than that I haven’t had much of a chance to test it, it was slightly heavier than I thought it would be, but that’s a good thing, you don’t want a bb to be able to break it. I found the padding excellent and once messed about with the straps for a minute really had it conformable straight away. I will look forward to my first game with this mask and see if it reaches my expectations, which have just been raised.

I’m so pleased with it I’m thinking of buying another style too. I’ll update the thread once I’ve had a chance to use it in a skirmish.

Can any of the current uses tell me what they do about headwear apart from a bandanna? Has anyone wore a helmet or bonnie hat?

• 7 months later...

Marino Dizon, the makers of the Army of Two Airsoft Skirmish Masks sent me pics of their new masks.

The base design comes from a hockey style mask.

They just came up with 3 versions. Upgraded 5 point strap and hundreds of possible designs.

patriotsamfinal2.jpg

magdalosamfinal.jpg

hkm21.jpg

hkday1.jpg

al.jpg

magdalosam.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

new5poitstrap.jpg

KOms2.jpg

KOms.jpg

Looks very nice to me. Also of note, they're now using the finer holed steel mesh, as the old stuff, though it worked, could be a little difficult to see though. The new stuff appears to be easier to see through. Maybe I'll get a sample? *Fingers Crossed*