The posting of deceased servicemen...

Marlowe

Hey all, just posting this to nip a particular trend in the bud.

I'd like to advise everyone that, contrary to popular myth, there is no 'rule' against the posting of deceased servicemen on this forum. Instead it comes down to a matter of decency and appropriateness.

If it is felt that is appropriate to post an illustration of a deceased servicemen in order to assist others in the creation of accurate kit, then that is fair enough. This assumes of course, that there are no objections from individuals related or acquainted with that individual or his unit, and that hte pictures are posted in a respectful rather than mocking fashion.

E.G. A picture is posted of a member of 3 Para, to illustrate appropriate gear. Unfortunately, and unknown to the poster, he has fallen in Afghanistan. A friend / familymember sees this and finds it objectionable.

The course of action in this process is to report the post and /or contact the appropriate area moderator. We will then remove it asap.

It goes without saying, of course, that pictures of members of units where anonymity is crucial (eg any covert unit) should and will be pulled as soon as we encounter them, whether the subject is alive or dead.

Thanks! :)

hey, i am a seviceman, so the title of your topic got my attention straight away! i cannot speak for all service persons and their families, but i for one agree with you.

i would have no drama with my pictures being used in this way if i died, to be honest, i see it as quite complementry.

Hey all, just posting this to nip a particular trend in the bud.

I'd like to advise everyone that, contrary to popular myth, there is no 'rule' against the posting of deceased servicemen on this forum. Instead it comes down to a matter of decency and appropriateness.

If it is felt that is appropriate to post an illustration of a deceased servicemen in order to assist others in the creation of accurate kit, then that is fair enough. This assumes of course, that there are no objections from individuals related or acquainted with that individual or his unit, and that hte pictures are posted in a respectful rather than mocking fashion.

E.G. A picture is posted of a member of 3 Para, to illustrate appropriate gear. Unfortunately, and unknown to the poster, he has fallen in Afghanistan. A friend / familymember sees this and finds it objectionable.

The course of action in this process is to report the post and /or contact the appropriate area moderator (in this case Titleist). We will then remove it asap.

It goes without saying, of course, that pictures of members of units where anonymity is crucial (eg any covert unit) should and will be pulled as soon as we encounter them, whether the subject is alive or dead.

Thanks!

.....Wat? :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Spedz: Basically it's okay to post such pictures as long as they are tasteful and have a clear purpose in mind. If someone with a link to the person photographed contacts forum staff to complain, we'll pull it, out of respect.

Before anyone asks, 'tasteful' means a respectul image of a serving soldier, regardless of their nationality / political associations etc. Tasteless for me would be see 'trophy' photoes of servicemen celebrating over fallen enemies, and so on.

They key word is respect really - respect for those photographed and respect for those who may have known the photographed.

Mcarthur: For simplicity's sake I would follow the same rule for wounded soldiers. Generally most serving individuals I know / have known are happy for their wounds to be shown, as they are generally received in carrying out their service to their home country. There's no shame in such injuries. Obviously if individuals are embarrassed by such photographs (eg 'I don't really want to be shown with the plaster cast I got after picking a fight with the locals on shore leave', thinking of my own naval relatives in particular), then we'd treat that as any other objection and pull it. :)

Archived