British Army 24 hour ration packs or USA MREs?

torN-

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can...

however

a 24 hour brit ration pack wil sustain you for a week in extreme cases.

the calories inputed by it per day far exceed a big man working hard.

An average guy can get by on one boil bag, one or two biscuits AB or fruit and a drink (stock, screech or soup) in a 48 hour period.

eaten hot and you can live on a 24 hour man pack for a week. trust me i have.

Then you have done nothing hard on exercise!

ration packs contain between 2500 and 4000 calories, one box could last a male grunt working an average 18 hour day in the field for 48 hours at the most, if he eats absolutely everything.

one box could last an airsofter about 3 days at a push id say, though you would be very hungry for most of that time.

Ive frequently eaten more than one box of rations in a day if its been hard work (insertion tab, digging in, night patrol followed by dawn attack).

Brit rations are not all they're cracked up to be, unfortunately MREs are even worse (except that jalepeno paste and crackers, i love that stuff) Personally i have found Canadian rations the most tasty.

Darkchild

EDIT: Gadge, dont take it the wrong way, im kidding ;)

Then you have done nothing hard on exercise!

ration packs contain between 2500 and 4000 calories, one box could last a male grunt working an average 18 hour day in the field for 48 hours at the most, if he eats absolutely everything.

one box could last an airsofter about 3 days at a push id say, though you would be very hungry for most of that time.

Ive frequently eaten more than one box of rations in a day if its been hard work (insertion tab, digging in, night patrol followed by dawn attack).

Brit rations are not all they're cracked up to be, unfortunately MREs are even worse (except that jalepeno paste and crackers, i love that stuff) Personally i have found Canadian rations the most tasty.

Darkchild

EDIT: Gadge, dont take it the wrong way, im kidding ;)

lol

:)

Im sure you are but note that i didnt say i'd eaten one box in a week on exercise.

Note the subtle but very important word *extreme*.

I actually survived on one box for a week when on the dole (post forces) and incredibly broke and happened to have a box under the stairs... true story that btw.

As an infanteer i've done *lots* of hard work on exercise and I've never been able to eat the entire contents of the box in a day - I always have the best part of the biscuits, packets of soup, stock and all the ancillaries left. I usually got through the meal bags, porridge, oatmeal block and the boily sweets and that was it.

In fairness i rarely took the entire contents out... just the bits i liked.

You are psychic aren't you?

More just familiar with whats on the market :P

Can anyone tell me when the little packets of hot sauce were introduced to the ration packs? They certainly weren't there this time last year but the case of rations I bought back in April all had a sachet of tabasco like stuff in them.

I finished most my rations. I ended up buying lots of sainsburys basics tinned pork meatballs and baked beans. Oh I loved eating them cold it was simply delicious.

I tried 2 wayfairer's packs, the chocolate cake and pudding whatever *suitcase* it was, was nasty. Avoid at all cost. The bacon with baked beans was pretty nice, I liked it.

...and things we don't get.... peanut butter, jallepino spready cheese and sweets...

...been in regular army for 11 years and...

I hate to break it to you but, apparently for the last 11 years somebody's been nicking the sweets, chocolate, biscuits and chewing gum out of your rat packs.

Can anyone tell me when the little packets of hot sauce were introduced to the ration packs? They certainly weren't there this time last year but the case of rations I bought back in April all had a sachet of tabasco like stuff in them.

The british military suffers from this terrible PITA known as 'suppliers', sometimes movements controllers, basically logistical types (maybe not their fault all the time admittedly but who knows).

Say there's 10 main different types of rat pack (I can't remember exactly), A through J, there were cases of entire base camps being supplied with only one type for weeks on end (so you got A all through January, B in Feb etc). Having to exact same bloody stuff every single day for a month was sending people seriously up the wall, I've heard regiment guys talk about having to force themselves to eat they were that sick of the same damn meals. The little sachet of tabasco was a quick, cheap and simple way of enabling personnel to add a little more variety to their daily intake by just mixing it with the other stuff when they needed a change.

Lutefisk? In an MRE? I thought that lutefisk was an MRE! ;)

Hehe, personally I haven't tried real lutefisk, but the whole concept of eating fish covered in poision kinda turns me off.

Oon the other hand, Real Turmat, or the military ones are really good, try this place if you want to order some in the UK:

http://www.expeditionfoods.com/shop/index.php

i ordered a case of mres from uscav.com before GZ when i was on holiday

its a shame they didnt come with all the little things like the military ones (im guessing these are the cut down version) but they came with: A main dish (roast beef, sloppy joe, chicken salsa), Side dish (Veggi marcotti, egg omlette), peanut butter, rivita biscuits, coffee, salf, pepper, creamer, suger, SPOON, wet wipe and heater. (weirdly the heater left this weird black power on the rat pack after heating so im guessing the wet wipe was for cleaning it ;))

i took the main dishes out with me on the field and i opened one after not having anything to eat most of the day which helped but theres nothing wrong with them at all. being a big fella i thought i would have to scoff out on em but the one packet lasted me untill dinner. next time i think im gonna spend a lil more and look for the ones with all the lil gubbinz as they were more for a laugh than a life dependance.

now ive gotta eat em all :P

Archived