You know you've been playing too much airsoft when...

Atty

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a question for you UK people, Why do you put "tyres" on "bikes"?

Shouldnt it be "tyres" on "bykes"? 

Serious question. Never got the queen's english :P

--Hawaiian

Because a tyre is a rubber thing you put on a wheel. "Bike" is an abbreviation of bicycle. Tire is what happens to you as you ride the bike.

The language is called English. Our way is the right way, because it's our language. The clue is in the name. 

Simples.

Though in many cases people in this country can't get things right, like those that used 'treated' as the past tense of how a person is being badly spoken to or interacted with when it is actually treat (sounds tret) if speaking about yourself but then it is treated when speaking about someone else.

I had to check that out since it didn't sound at all right to me.

Turns out that 'tret' does exist, but only as a Yorkshirian colloquialism.

Weird.

Do you think we intentionally made English so bat crazy purely so other countries couldn't learn it properly and we could make fun of them?

You know when you've been playing too much airsoft when you move house and the things you worry most about is your box of guns and box of gear, sod the glass! don't let my M14 break!

It is also the correct way of saying it when talking about yourself, but not when others refer to you, one of those 'we are so used to it being not quite right that we just don't care'. A bit like many of the other things in this country. :P

'FireKnife'

Intriguing, a friend of mine studying linguistics can't seem to find any record of it. Where are you getting this from?

Intriguing, a friend of mine studying linguistics can't seem to find any record of it. Where are you getting this from?

A third year English student sat next to me that pointed it out in the OED.

However if you ask for a 'define:' in Google.co.uk it doesn't give you the same answer, weird.

Do you think we intentionally made English so bat crazy purely so other countries couldn't learn it properly and we could make fun of them?

Considering that our language is all the bits of other languages probably. We just picked what we liked, refined it a bit and then made a language out of it. Though the fact it is the most widely spoken language by country (but not by individual speakers, that will always be Chinese) means you will always get very odd observations and variations that end up becoming common place. :P

'FireKnife'

I swear, this thread is like Airsofters Anon. 

Hi, 

Im "Mrfoss",

and I know that I play to much airsoft because... Every time I am out in nature, I assess the potential for an ambush and where the person would most likely be hiding.

LMAO Foss, Have the same issue. Hikes are never going to be the same

When you leave airsoft for 2 years, your girlfriend hints that she might buy you a gun for your birthday. And you instantly go and dust off your old box of gear and start fog tech-ing your goggles in preparation.

That may or may not be a euphemism.

Archived