Removing Screws with Destroyed Heads?

tr1gg3r_h4ppy

3 options :

1. Drill it out

2. super glue a screw driver into the damaged thread and try and take it out (this never works)

3. the JML worn screw remover kit

i always use option 1, but reciently bought the jml kit its sweet and works on large screws yet to try it on smaller screws

Linky:

http://www.jmldirect.com/Screw-Extractor-PS5616/

On that particular screw you should be able to get a pair or pliers on it.

Had to do the exact same screw on one of the hire AK's last week because a muppet thought you could tighten it to stop it moving, even though they had missed out the washer.

If you deform the selector leaver, tap it flat with a hammer afterwards.

be careful with the screw, if you strip it, it goes into the gear box and you will have to tap it out to a bigger size or replace the gear box shell.

On that particular screw you should be able to get a pair or pliers on it.

Had to do the exact same screw on one of the hire AK's last week because a muppet thought you could tighten it to stop it moving, even though they had missed out the washer.

If you deform the selector leaver, tap it flat with a hammer afterwards.

be careful with the screw, if you strip it, it goes into the gear box and you will have to tap it out to a bigger size or replace the gear box shell.

Thank you, that is a scary possibility.

However, I don't think I penetrated the gearbox because the gun was shooting normally after I had reassembled it.

Get a centre-punch/pointed drift/nail/screw and hammer it in to the head of the damaged crew at an angle to form a hole and then 'push' it round with the force from the hammer. That's the only way I know of for below-surface stuck fasteners anyway, obviously with a TM this would be pretty much a last resort and you'd have to use a really girly hammer.

I usually have to remove several a week, at work, ranging from small bolts to bolts big enough to beat a whale to death with. The easiest way is to drill into it with a left handed (Anti clockwise) drill bit. Because it drills in the same rotational direction that loosens the screw/bolt, when you drill into the offending item it just pops right out. Using a normal drill bit, the bolt actually tightens when you drill into it.

Usually I use my dremel to drill it out!

the JML screw remover it's fantastic!

Can you tell me more about this kit?

see the link i posted above

I usually have to remove several a week, at work, ranging from small bolts to bolts big enough to beat a whale to death with. The easiest way is to drill into it with a left handed (Anti clockwise) drill bit. Because it drills in the same rotational direction that loosens the screw/bolt, when you drill into the offending item it just pops right out. Using a normal drill bit, the bolt actually tightens when you drill into it.

thats the same way the JML kit works but the kit grips it as it removes the screw, i normaly hit reverse on the drill and drill it out never used a left handed drill bit ?

2. super glue a screw driver into the damaged thread and try and take it out (this never works)

That removed the need for at least two or three posts from this thread. :P

Seriously, has anybody ever successfully used superglue to remove a stuck screw?

Personally, I reckon the whole superglue "myth" started when somebody got a grub screw stuck in a thread and then just used a longer allen key with a blob of superglue on it to recover it.

There's just no way superglue is strong enough or rigid enough to actually remain intact under forces strong enough to damage metal.

I would be genuinely surprised if anybody has actually ever had success with this method.

Sorry. I guess I'm not helping.

I don't have any AK-specific advice but be VERY careful when drilling out screws in airsoft guns.

Screws are made of hard metal. Airsoft guns are made of buttery-soft metal.

If you're drilling out a screw and the drill wanders off-centre it'll drill a lump out of the part next to the screw before you can blink.

Your best bet, by far, is (as Octopus says) some kind of easy-out which applies force left-handed so that any attempt you make is also trying to release the screw. 9 times out of ten the screw will suddenly come loose and unscrew itself before you finish drilling.

lastly, if you think a screw might be stuck because of corrosion or threadlok, try playing a blow-lamp over the part to get it really hot.

If the screw's stuck because of damage to the thread this won't work but it'll free up rusty stuff and melt threadlok.

Superglue might be a evolution of the old trick of a bit of lapping compound inside the bolt and to build up removed material between the tool and the faces of the bolt. No-one has lapping compound at home but most folks have superglue. L hand bits and extractor kits work for me. Most of the bolts I have to sort are either flush or very small/rounded head so the nice external socket style grabbers won't cut it.

That removed the need for at least two or three posts from this thread. :P

Seriously, has anybody ever successfully used superglue to remove a stuck screw?

Personally, I reckon the whole superglue "myth" started when somebody got a grub screw stuck in a thread and then just used a longer allen key with a blob of superglue on it to recover it.

There's just no way superglue is strong enough or rigid enough to actually remain intact under forces strong enough to damage metal.

I would be genuinely surprised if anybody has actually ever had success with this method.

Sorry. I guess I'm not helping.

I don't have any AK-specific advice but be VERY careful when drilling out screws in airsoft guns.

Screws are made of hard metal. Airsoft guns are made of buttery-soft metal.

If you're drilling out a screw and the drill wanders off-centre it'll drill a lump out of the part next to the screw before you can blink.

Your best bet, by far, is (as Octopus says) some kind of easy-out which applies force left-handed so that any attempt you make is also trying to release the screw. 9 times out of ten the screw will suddenly come loose and unscrew itself before you finish drilling.

lastly, if you think a screw might be stuck because of corrosion or threadlok, try playing a blow-lamp over the part to get it really hot.

If the screw's stuck because of damage to the thread this won't work but it'll free up rusty stuff and melt threadlok.

Archived