ACM Bowman Headset w/ PTT Review

Ok, so i've been airsofting around a year and a half. I've been to local skirmishes every fortnight, and i've also mananged to get to a few awesome weekend events. But something had always felt wrong...yup, you guessed it! I never had any comms to use, which, for a standard Sunday skirmish can be rather annoying, let alone a weekender. Soon realising that comms was an important matter, I dragged a pair of Motorola Talkabout radios from somewhere, and finally I could make contact with other comms users! But, the novelty of holding a radio in one hand and a rifle in the other soon wore off, not to mention my position being given away countless times thanks to a large burst of commands blaring out through the radio's speakers.

After this, I very nearly purchased a Cavalvy Bowman headset, but never got round to it...and how glad am I now! :)

ACM Bowman Headset w/ PTT

First of all, credit has to once again to go EbayBanned who flawlessly made the delivery, and, as usual, without customs charges. That's $36.90 for a Bowman headset delivered from China to the UK in a week. 100% satisfaction.

DSC_0003.jpg

Anyhow, onto the item itself. The entire headset comprises of 3 main parts; The earpice and boom mike, the PTT, and the headstrap. Everything came fully assembled unlike other ACM items which I have had to put together. Just from taking it out of the packaging, the main thought is "Wow, did I just spend under $40 on this?!". Everything is solid, and I mean solid. The PTT looks like it could withstand a minor nuclear explosion (I wouldn't recommend trying...), and the ear piece has been put together perfectly. Nothing creaks, nothing needs tightening, nothing is falling apart already. If I had to make a criticism at this point (and I will, seeing as it's a review), it would be that the headstrap is pretty poor. Not so much in that it's been made badly, I just highly doubt that it can take any extended abuse - I will certainly be looking to replace it with a real headstrap.

DSC_0005.jpg

Unlike the EbayBanned product picture shows, the earpiece is actually OD and not black plastic, which made me happier at least. :) The plastic has a few flash and mould lines, but there's little flex in it, and it certainly won't be snapping anytime soon. The down-lead on the earpiece is hardwired, and the end connector is labelled 'AVIATION' (more on this later). The wire is also nice and tough to withstand your airsofting pleasures.

DSC_0007.jpg

On the inside of the earpiece is a large foam/spongy cup, surrounding the headset speaker. This makes the headset incredibly comfy to wear, although I would have liked to have seen this "cushion" being slightly deeper, as after extended use with shooting glasses and a helmet it can start to press slightly upon the ear. Not a major problem, but a minor issue nonetheless. The speaker itself seems to be of decent quality, and communications that I recieved through it were perfectly audible and clear. However, I feel that even on my radio's minimum volume, it can be quite loud. Not horrendously loud, but if you have very sensitive hearing then it may be something to note.

Also attached to the ear piece is a flexible boom microphone. This is again of good quality, and I do not envisage myself snapping the boom mic by accident. After speaking to other radio users everyone has said that my voice has been very clear, even at whispers, so I can only say that the microphone is of good quality.

DSC_0008.jpg

As I mentioned previously, the down-lead connector from the earpiece is a female 'Aviation' connector, with 5 pins. I can safely say I no nothing about various plugs and connectors, so I'd be interested to know if that type of connector is known as an 'Aviation' connector, and if I could use it with other PTT units.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Now onto the PTT unit. It is a copy of a Nexus PTT, and as I said earlier, it is rock solid, constructed of a tough plastic and held together by 4 screws. Usefully, on the back of a PTT is a large clip, which I have found it perfect for slipping through a MOLLE loop, although, thanks to the hooked end, is very difficult to get out of the MOLLE loop once it's in! Possibly the biggest flaw of the entire headset is the PTT button itself. The spring is reasonably stiff, and it means that occasionally, if you don't fully keep the button pressed down, it will assume you've finished your sentence as you've let go of the button. So, just make sure you keep it pressed down firmly. :)

The lead from the PTT is coiled, so you literally have loads of wire to play with, if you keep your radio tucked out of the way somewhere but need your PTT close by. As I have a Motorola Talkabout radio, I obviously purchased the single-pin connector version, but EbayBanned also sell a version for a Kenwood 2-pin radio.

DSC_0012.jpg

So, all in all, this is by far the best item of ACM gear that I have purchased. It easily competes with it's more expensive counterparts, and, aside from a couple of minor problems (none of which affect the overall use of the headset), then for under $40, this is the perfect low-budget but high-quality communications headset. :D

Thanks for reading, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

I'm glad to hear yours turned out well.

I bought mine for $65 about a year ago from dragonred, and have had nothing but problems with it.

The wires are poorly insulated, the speaker was blown and needed to be replaced, the wire box where the mic and speaker wires meet came apart and the PTT button is so poor that the thing will randomly block all signal on the radio. It wont transmit or recieve, just block everything.

I'm glad to hear they are cheaper now, because I'm probably just going to junk or rewire and sell the original.

EDIT: For anyone reading this, I do NOT believe they are the same make, everything about it is different. Make no connections between my statements and buzzsaw's fine review. Just a warning to make sure it is the exact one reviewed here that you are buying!

Edited by Involved6

My TASC (Swimmer) headset arrived from Ebaybanned today, and I didn't feel it necessary to write a new review, as Buzzsaw has done a pretty good job of covering the most important parts, so I'll just add my contribution here.

The Tasc replica cup is comfotable enough, and is made of a flexible rubber, so it fits nicely around the curvature of the head, be it a little stiff but some use should soften it up.

As far as aesthetics go, the boom Mic is a different shape to the Bowman, however, I should imagine audio clarity is identical.

I found that audio clarity is average, It didn't blow me away with how crisp i could hear things, in cimparison to other headsets i have used, however creeping around at a quiet level, speaking in a hushed tone people on the receiving end can hear you, but for the price compered to the TS TASC headset theres no complaints as far as audio clarity goes.

I do have one grumble, and that the connector labelled "Aviation" that Buzzsaw has already mentioned, was of poor quality. Whether or not I was unlucky to get a poor one or not, I'm not sure, but the whole thing twists slightly, meaning that long term may eventually break, but on the whole the PTT (Which like already mentioned is a Nexus copy) body is solid, and just the general build is pretty spot on.

Hope the OP didn't mind my contribution ^_^

Pictures and more info on request

My TASC (Swimmer) headset arrived from Ebaybanned today, and I didn't feel it necessary to write a new review, as Buzzsaw has done a pretty good job of covering the most important parts, so I'll just add my contribution here.

The Tasc replica cup is comfortable enough, and is made of a flexible rubber, so it fits nicely around the curvature of the head, be it a little stiff but some use should soften it up.

As far as aesthetics go, the boom Mic is a different shape to the Bowman, however, I should imagine audio clarity is identical.

I found that audio clarity is average, It didn't blow me away with how crisp i could hear things, in comparison to other headsets i have used, however creeping around at a quiet level, speaking in a hushed tone people on the receiving end can hear you, but for the price compered to the TS TASC headset there's no complaints as far as audio clarity goes.

I do have one grumble, and that the connector labelled "Aviation" that Buzzsaw has already mentioned, was of poor quality. Whether or not I was unlucky to get a poor one or not, I'm not sure, but the whole thing twists slightly, meaning that long term may eventually break, but on the whole the PTT (Which like already mentioned is a Nexus copy) body is solid, and just the general build is pretty spot on.

Hope the OP didn't mind my contribution ^_^

Pictures and more info on request

I would actually like to see some pictures of the swimmer headset, I am considering picking it up soon.

As for the Aviation connector, mine also twists when in place, but by tightening up the...urmm...tightener on it, it seemed to help

I didn't mean it twisted when plugged in, I meant the plug connector twists in it's casing, so when you plug it into the PTT it rotates slightly still because the whole head is loose on the inside, so that's something I'm going to have to sort out to help it last a little longer in the long term. :P

As for pics....

TASC1.jpg

Overview

TASC2.jpg

Stitiching and the cup itself

TASC3.jpg

Boom Mic

TASC4.jpg

Inside the Earcup

Only 1 hole has been pierced into the cup, but its pretty loud so doesn't inhibit sound in anyway

TASC5.jpg

Headstrap

The stitching seems good enough, and I think will hold up over use. The velcro is fairly good, not like some of the poor velcro which loses an stick that some ACM items are manufactured with.

Hope this covers what you're after :D

Edited by Delta_Knight
  • 4 weeks later...

To the OP (I forgot your name already... hehe I'm sorry) I would suggest simply taking one or two little squares of TP and folding them up and putting them in the cup. That way you'll get a little bit of extra comfort as well as the confidence you're the only one who can hear what's being said ;)

I plan to pick up a Swimmer headset soon :) so that'll be nice. Thanks for the review!

-Matt