Tokyo Marui AK74Su

Only just got this yesterday from Firesupport so not had change to skirmish with it yet. As soon as i saw it i knew i had to have one, i have had a a TM AK74MN and liked that but it was just to long for my skirmish style.

Anyways on opening the box i was happy straight it looked fantastic, all the metal has a dull black finish (which i prefer to my Kalash version). My only worry was the fake wood foregrip and to be honest the finish on it isn't bad at all. But it just does not feel the same and gives it a plasticky feel at the front, i really think that after TM spent so much time on the metal body they should have gone the whole hog and fitted real wood (anyways i am going to try and make some or mod a set i have).

Next step was to charge a battery and give it a go, the battery goes in the foregrip just like on their MN version so you need to make sure you have enough wire on it so it fits correctly.

I tested this using my chrono and on average using .20's it was doing 298fps, very reasonable for a TM and more than adequate for me. Next i tested the RPM which came in at around 750rpm, not the fastest but still reasonable on a 8.4v mini.

The thing i liked most about it was the blowback and recoil it maybe me but it felt stronger and louder on the MN, i put this down to the SU you been shorter and lighter than the MN.

Below are some photo's i have taken and hopefully a video of the blockback if it works.

Any questions just and i will try and answer them best i can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flJc3iPaqug

Edited by blazed99
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thanks. the nooob that i am thought that screw adjusted motor height like on a v2.. 

They use next gen gears.. same as m4 recoil.   http://eagle6.co.uk/shop/info-interactive-ngrs-aks74u

after looking at those pics, I suspect why TM did not go 'wood', or even do something similar to their standard AK47 grips, is because of the location of the battery - I think that they are trying to give it extra protection/minimising particles and water from entry at the front.

• 1 month later...

Nice little review!

I'm thinking of getting one of these little beauties myself in a week or so (either this or a Marui 74MN or a VFC AIMS, but a nice AK with blowback for sure). What I'm really curious about right now is the ability to fit a real wood foregrip on it. I just can't stand fake wood colored plastic so I'm hoping someone has found a wood kit that can be fitted to this while still retaining the ability to hold some kind of battery.

Any luck?

• 9 months later...

Bumping this for an important question! Has anyone checked the barrel on this? Does it come stock with a TB? I see people marvel at the accuracy but I see no mention of upgrades.

That having been said, what kind of FPS boost will I get from throwing a tightbore in one? Ineed to keep it under 324 FPS due to japanese laws, but I would like to get it a bit higher than 290!

• 2 years later...

Old thread back to life , So picked a new one of these up a few mths ago but hadn't scurmished with it properly untill last Sunday at Dragon valley .

Appearance ; Now as we've all come to expect from TM the finish and look of it is realy good (though must say I've taken some wirewool to it to 'age it' a bit), the recoil is more than exceptable (I have a Sopmod , Socom and a Scar L aswell) and it happily put a smile on my face , and has quite a distinctive sound when fired !

FPS on DV's chrono was 290/292/292fps on .2's prity much standard for TM . In game I was running it on a 7.4v 1300 20c lipo and using .25's (not sure of FPS on them but would have thought around the 250-260 mark and it was putting out 13.6rps) .

Use in the field ; First imprestion out on the game field was it felt realy 'comfortable' to use , and once I'd got used to using a 'shorty' again found it was snapping in to the shoulder quickly and effortlessly and was very easy to hold aim with when shouldered .

as the day progressed and the the hop 'beded in' I saw the range creeping further and further out and by lunch time I'd estimate I was getting my kills out to 40-50mtrs (the hop is a dial type not your standard AK slider type) , more than satisfactory .

Mag wise I was running a mix of a TM hi-cap , TM mids and kingarms 110 rounders . The TMs were feeding flawlessly as you'd expect but the kingarms did play up a bit , had a quick look and the retainer in the BB feed tube looks a bit long to me so I think I'll be trimming them down a bit and trying them again .

Only down side I'd say is the lack of empty mag lock ala sopmod/socom/scar but then again neither the AK's or G36's have that function so not realy a biggie .

General impression ? Very very happy with it in deed , recoil more than acceptable (and it does put a smile on your face) , range and accuracy both more than satisfactory , general aperance very good . So I'd say it's a goodun , only down side from my point of view is I've now got ANOTHER great recoil gun to choose from on scurmish day and it was hard enuff deciding which one to use when I only had three to choose from !

Edited by druid799
  • 5 weeks later...

I'd really want to get one of these but it's unfortunate that there are practically no aftermarket parts for it! Due to the wide range of full steel AKs out there.... I find it really difficult to go back to an aluminium / zinc gun... but the recoil feature sure sounds good as I'm a SOPMOD owner too... let's hope one day they'll make an AK with fire stop feature where it fires again only when someone pulls the charging handle after a fresh mag.

*edit + question* Does anyone know how possible it would be for someone with a next-gen TM AK to fit a LCT AKS74U kit to it? Obviously it won't be a drop fit, but how much modding are we talking about? Assuming the LCT kit is a normal AK kit, I'd imagine this can be answered by someone who owns a standard AK as well as the marui next-gen AK, thanks!

lct_kit_aks74un_l.jpg <-?

Edited by blobface

Have had a quick look at mine and an old JG Spetz , didn't take them apart but after having a good look at them I think the recoil engine would stop it fitting . Again didn't take eny measurements but I think the TM body is over all a 'wee' bit bigger , so I think the answer is no to it fitting in the kit .

Have had a quick look at mine and an old JG Spetz , didn't take them apart but after having a good look at them I think the recoil engine would stop it fitting . Again didn't take eny measurements but I think the TM body is over all a 'wee' bit bigger , so I think the answer is no to it fitting in the kit .

Yeah I don't suppose they would just fit together, but I was wondering more in terms of if someone were to be determined enough, wonder if it's possible, don't really want to get both the gun and the kit to find out it's physically impossible due to something like gearbox width being too thick to even fit through the stamped receiver etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couldn't say for sure - I will say, I ran one of these for two years every Sunday in Woodland, CQB, even a couple of games on the beach in Candleston. No problems, no matter what I asked of it. The only change from stock I made was to make a custom wood kit, which did get a little warped after a severe dunk in the swamp.

If you're on the fence about this gun, pick it up.

• 5 weeks later...

I also love my AKS74U. I added an Eagle6 M100 for 350FPS, which was great at first, but the gears started to wear quickly, as did the piston.

So around £300 worth of upgrades later, it's now got a prometheus double torque gear set, prometheus hard piston and hard piston head, M90 spring, SHS Hi-Torque motor, Prometheus 6.03mm barrel, SCS hop nub.

Moral of the story, leave the thing alone power upgrade wise, or certainly stick to no more than an M90 unless you want to fully upgrade the internals at the cost of almost a new gun! To be fair I did opt for the expensive gears which wasn't really necessary..........which then necessitated the hi-torque motor to be able to shift them.

I also have the TM AK74MN which I'm currently selling for £300. It's completly standard, fully boxed and in great condition. It's not on the forum yet, but if anyone is interested, let me know by PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just noticed a light rattle inside the lower handguard on my TM Aks74u. then this little fella jostled his way out...

WP_000144_zps89faf3c9.jpg

Any ideas as to what important role this screw plays? and is it safe to continue operation, as I've heard these are a *badgeress* to strip down and reassemble, especially with no experience..

ta.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I've been trying to source a wood kit that I can mod to fit this gun for.. oh.. at least a few months now, to no avail.

The only place I've been able to locate with them in stock is UnCo, but I'm not sure whether I'm safe to order from them at the moment..

Any help would be appreciated.

--

While I'm here, this is a short firing montage I recorded recently.

cheers mate, just some foam and a craft knife :) the case itself is a *bramston pickle*, as the combination lock tends to decide when and if it wants to open based on solar activity, phases of the moon, tides, anything but the bloody numbers :D

Unco is the only site I've found that stocks Aks74u handguards in wood, they are for dboys but would fit with a fair amount of dremelling.

I actually recieved a message from another forum member who's willing to sell me his LCT/GHK wood handguard. I know this would probably mean even more work, but I reckon with removing the battery tray and hitting it with the dremel I could get it to fit..

I've got one of the Dboy ones , i did try to dremel it to fit . Not sure what the wood was but I lost the will to live after an hour of dremel'ing and no real improvement to it !

Edited by druid799
  • 3 weeks later...

I went on their website but it didnt give a button to preorder it ? is that true? how do you know?

This might ###### a few people off but make a few interested party quite happy... wgc is currently doing a $230 pre-order for the next batch of next-gen AKs74u... just saw it... insane... 

Thanks!