Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

I currently have a Motorola Saber 2 radio with a 6 pin plug. I want to purchase a MSA Sordin style or Peltor Comtac style headset. I have no idea if this will work or not, what connectors am I going to need to get or if this is even possible.

Here is my connector for my radio

ottopg7-SABER-6pin.jpg

I know I posted something similar to this earlier but I am selling that headset.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will most likely have to have a custom PTT made; just about every PTT I have seen for these headsets are for the MBITR. http://www.tacticalcommand.com/indexa.html Be warned, these do not come cheap, at all. Expect to shell out over $250. Another source that might be able accommodate you is http://www.talkingheadsets.co.uk/; they quoted me about 75 quid for a PTT for my Icom.

I ended up buying a Cavalvy headset for use in games; $150-300 is a very steep price for being able to hear everything out of the ear you get comms in.

Edit: Looks like you're in luck; the 6-pin plug is the one they are commonly wired for. I've seen the PTTs go for ~100-150 and they're usually easy to find.

you can also try botach.com, they have the cable you need to connect to a saber radio if your using peltor comtacs, but for some reason this cable costs more than the others and only for this radio. the tacticalcommands website is a good website and like said b4 they can help you very well. basically you'll need your headset, a boom mic, a ptt assembly, and a y cable if your using peltor and if your doing it from scratch. best thing to do is buy a headset that is already hardwired and comes with a mic, ebay is the best place to look, and then just get a seperate ptt and your good to go. hope this all helps.

no...you can hear perfectly well w/o the ptt. a good pair online can cost you anything from 100-225 depending on what you get and if its a buy it now or bid item. also of course second hand used ones are just as good if they've been maintained, but absolutely you'll be able to hear out of them if you just have the headset itself. right now i have a pair of comtac I's that i was gonna sell but am thinking about it only cuz i use them when i go shooting and wanted to get the comtac II's but have to wait for now. :(

sordins are the way to go, i've got the comtac I's and so far haven't had any problems and have had the comtac II's. the only thing i really like bout the comtac II's is the batteries are placed on both sides and are water tight, with the I's the battery compartment door seems like it would come off over time or with stress. haven't used the sordins but im definately gonna get a pair...hey, anyone interested in a pair of comtac II's??? ;)

sordins are the way to go, i've got the comtac I's and so far haven't had any problems and have had the comtac II's. the only thing i really like bout the comtac II's is the batteries are placed on both sides and are water tight, with the I's the battery compartment door seems like it would come off over time or with stress. haven't used the sordins but im definately gonna get a pair...hey, anyone interested in a pair of comtac II's??? ;)

How much...

• 3 weeks later...
dam..hey anyone know if there's a thread strictly dedicated to comms??

Lets use this one.

Guys, I got some questions:

1. I kinda like the idea of hearing more than normal, but can you still recognise(spelling?) where the noise comes from?.

2. I would like to buy this peltorklick me, but is the boom mic included?

3. I know that I need a ptt adapter, but I dont know which one. I ve got a devgru swimmer headset with multi connector, if it helps?

Hope somebody can help me

Cheers

Daniel

Lets use this one.

Guys, I got some questions:

1. I kinda like the idea of hearing more than normal, but can you still recognise(spelling?) where the noise comes from?.

2. I would like to buy this peltorklick me, but is the boom mic included?

3. I know that I need a ptt adapter, but I dont know which one. I ve got a devgru swimmer headset with multi connector, if it helps?

Hope somebody can help me

Cheers

Daniel

1) The sound amplification is directional. You pick up noises best in the direction you are looking. I have stopped using mine for outside play due to this fact. I could not hear my battle buddy moving behind me which in and of itself is not bad... but then I would not be able to hear anyone take him out either.

2) I believe the mic is included but nothing else.

3) Your best bet is to purchase one that is made for the radio you intend to use. Peltor offers ptt's for most of the popular radios out there. Keep in mind any that use the Saber connector will run you more. I guess they have a little bit of unobtanium in them.

in regards to #1 like wrench bender said, all depends on which direction your looking towards. some people who have peltors i've seen them wear them backwards, which i would assume of course helps in hearing more behind them (obviously).

and with #3, there are many manufacturers out there that will be willing to help you out configuring your setup and can tell you what you need to go with what radio and what not.

and with #2 the boom mic is not included, its just show for reference. you have to buy it seperately which is $100

Thank you for the information guys! You deserve some swiss chocolate :)

I think the costs for a fully working peltor for me would be minimum 500usd, I really think twice.

I m normally the sneaking kind of player, sneak around the whole field and pick lonely enemys, also using shoot and scoot tactics. The main factor for me would be the increased hearing capability. I did search on ebay, also for sordins since everyone seems to like them more than peltors, and I found a "fully" equiped Ranger sordin, which is fvcking pricy. BUT if its worth it, I would go for it.

Can any of you recomend it? Like I said, I m very intrested in the hearing stuff, so how much does it really "upgrade" your ears? I am not expecting to unterstand somebody whispering over 30m.

Here is a picture of the connector, if it helps:

dsc00295ai2.th.jpg

Cheers

Daniel

please excuse me for the english and gramatical faults, long time ago since I was in school.

Archived