Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

go ahead and go for the sordins if its within your range of price. the upgraded hearing capability is quite nice, its pretty amazing how well you do hear things.

Hey, does anyone have a picture of a comtac headset, preferably the comtac II's neckband model shown on a dummy head or of anyone wearing it? i'm thinking about getting it for a good price if no one outbids me and just wanna see how well it fits securely when wearing it. i'd rather get the regular model, but this one is nicely priced and just might get it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The soridns you see on ebay right now seem to be stripped down. I have picked a up a new set that came with three ptt's one for the Icom and two for an mbitr. You you will need to get a ptt for a radio that works with this headset. Which would be the Icom or pretty much any motorola or midland radio that uses the Icom two pin. Those can be had from an English shop for about $120.

The headsets you see on ebay right now are a steel at the $400 by it now prices. Three months ago they were going for $1200+

Wooohhh! Comms thread!

My personal recommendation would be to buy some sordin supreme pro-X's. They have all the amplification benifits, digital electronics, etc but do not come as stock with a radio interface. I think they are about £200 per set from talking headsets. A lower end model is about £120.

I can/have built a PPT/comms interface which plugs into the mini-jack input of these headsets, giving a fully comm'd up ambidextrous sordin headset. At the moment i am working on a version two, which will be able to have two radios coming in (to different ears!), two PPT switches (one per radio), and an MP3 player option.

you missed out one bit...

"Those grenades sounded *fruitcage*ing cool thru my Sordins!" :P

you missed out one bit...

"Those grenades sounded *fruitcage*ing cool thru my Sordins!" :P

What kind of grenades. Anything louder than normal speech should turn off the audio and turn them into hearing protection.

Titelist, is there a dedicated "commo rig" picture thread?

Schnieder, no worries on the bad grammar and spelling.... I can't spell to save my life. Even with spell check I generaly choose the wrong word! ;)

I recently got a Motorola System Saber and I have those Peltor Comtac II that have been collecting dust for a while now. Any clue where I could get the required PTT for it to work with that radio ? It just uses the same regular Saber connector.

I've heard about Botach having that but then again people have complained about them ripping them off hence why I'm a little worried about going with them for that. Any other options for me out there ?

What kind of grenades. Anything louder than normal speech should turn off the audio and turn them into hearing protection.

We can use very loud pyro in the UK. Sordins compress/limit very loud audio, they don't turn it off. A massive grenade sounds just as loud as your mate shouting at you from a metre away! :)

(I am now the owner of 23 Motorola GP300s. I am ill in the head.)

I'm posting off my dual-comm PeltorComtac II's today to get serviced and have an impendence issue fixed [mil headset + civ radio = expensive paperweight]

Peltors clip loud sounds out, sordins lower the volume to a certain level.

I recently got a Motorola System Saber and I have those Peltor Comtac II that have been collecting dust for a while now. Any clue where I could get the required PTT for it to work with that radio ? It just uses the same regular Saber connector.

I've heard about Botach having that but then again people have complained about them ripping them off hence why I'm a little worried about going with them for that. Any other options for me out there ?

there's a whole sleu of sites out there that have them for sale, and of course there is botach. i've never had any problem with them, but then again because they're not entirely far from me i usually go down there to pick up what i need rather than shop online. and then of course there's this site which i've heard good things about: http://www.tacticalcommand.com/indexa.html so you can drop them an e-mail and see what they have to say. i've got the same radios as you and did have both of the comtac series at one point and now just need to get a setup with the wires already hardlined into them and the ptt and the hopefully i can be set.

Hello Matey! :)

They are different widths indeed.

I may see you later :D

Actualy a Motorola two pin and an Icom twp pin are identdical in dimensions. The only difference is the Icom has one more contact point to it.

And as for what exactly happens when loud noises happens around sordins and peltors when I say shut off it is a laymans term. I am fully aware of the function of both sets as I have gone through several. Thanks for clarifiyng this however.

ok so i'm looking for some input and advice here..right now i'm saving up everything i've got and am looking into getting a proper headset to go with the sabers that i got, and i've had both peltor comtacs and have yet to try the sordin headset. now price range i'd rather bid and get it cheaper than retail price, but right now the sordin complete sysems on ebay are looking pretty enticing and i was wondering in regards to ease of availability and preference which one would be better to go with?

i've had both of the peltor comtacs and if i was to go that route would get the comtac II's since the battery compartment i prefer better, and yet i've heard quite good things bout the sordins. any input, reference, criticism would be helpful.

We can use very loud pyro in the UK. Sordins compress/limit very loud audio, they don't turn it off. A massive grenade sounds just as loud as your mate shouting at you from a metre away! :)

(I am now the owner of 23 Motorola GP300s. I am ill in the head.)

J,

WTF, 23!!!!!!!

I don't even carry that many M4 mags at anyone time! :D

Either you are an Uber g33k who has a thing about the GP300s or your fireteam/section must be massive!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

D

really! I am surprised, I was pretty sure Icom was as per Kenwood, Midland etc at 9mm. However, the extra ring in the plug will be a problem.

I took a look at my motorola radios. The talk about series uses the same plug spread as the Icom, they will both fit. The extra contact on the Icom cable keeps the handmic, headset what have you from keying the mic on the motorolas. You can fix this by jumping the contacts on the plug.

The other motorolas I have which are the GP300's I think use a different plug, and could be the same as the kenwood's, however I don't have any kenwood producst to confirm this.

Archived