Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

so i just ordered a TCI liberator headset with mic and single downlead, now all i need is a PTT and Y cable or just PTT?..i would assume PTT because the headset has a single downlead cable already hardwired into it.

here's basically what it looks like but of course you all know what they look like :P

headset-TCI-1.jpg

on top of that where do you guys who live in the socal area usually get your radios programmed? i was lucky enough to have a friend do mine but haven't heard from him since and am cautious about buying a better radio only to find out i can't find a place to program it to comm with my sabers.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your best bet is to get a radio that is programmed to frs/gmrs and see if it works. I use the scan feature on the frs radio and then key the mic on the saber to find if it is compatible.

Aside from that, you can use a scanner to see what freqs it is progrmmed for. Best of luck.

Hello

My MSA Sordin came today, now all I need is the Icom radio and the plug from the ptt to the radio. Got a few questions tho. I wanted to try out the mics, just to see how good they are really. I inserted the batteries, yeah correctly, and nothing happened. Then I changed batteries a few time but still, nothing happened. So does it only work when a radio is plugged on or do I make something wrong?

Cheers

Daniel

Botach has them in stock but they are quite pricy..like a lil over $200 i believe just for the saber model while other models are less. And of course if you haven't googled anything, go that route first, if nothing then botach. Botach is a good place, at least from what I can say on my part since I mainly walk in there and get what I need, but i'll look around and if I find another place that sells them I'll post the link for ya.

Edit: here's what I was able to find for now.

http://www.precision-sports.com/mt_series.htm

http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/peltormilitaryPTT.htm

the second seems to be a lot better and I might just go that route myself. Hope this helps.

what do you mean by "head"?

I mean the end of the cable, plug I believe. The one I have fits the mbitr, but if I mount another one it would fit my radio, right? I did the same to the cavalery headset, and it worked. But I read that I would need a "resistance".

Cheers

Daniel

Since my Cavalry headset was a complete failure in every possible way, I'm looking for a quality headset for my ICOM radio.

I saw some guys using the SORDIN supr. pro military headsets.

Questions to the users:

1. Are these hinder normal/natural hearing in any way?

2. How is the comfort after a whole day of use?

Called up John @ Earshot and my Peltors cost £35.25 to fix, turns out the PTT & downwire were wired incorrectly and the mic/speakers were the wrong way around. So the mic was projecting incoming transmissions and the speakers sending outgoing... confused? So was I, as they were sold as working.

Sordin MilSpecs. Don't get any that aren't milspec, for they won't be waterproof. If you must get comtacs, get IIs which don't cut out the ambient audio when you're getting/sending radio messages. My sordins have independent radio speakers, which is important if the amplifiers fail for some reason...the radio can carry on.

Called up John @ Earshot and my Peltors cost £35.25 to fix, turns out the PTT & downwire were wired incorrectly and the mic/speakers were the wrong way around. So the mic was projecting incoming transmissions and the speakers sending outgoing... confused? So was I, as they were sold as working.

Well, I got a problem too with my Sordins. They do only work when the battery cover is fixed in a middle position, if I try to close it right they wont work anymore. It really ###### me off having *suitcase* for this high price. I believe it has a bad contact. I even thought about opening it and see if everthings ok but I woudnt want to destroy it.

Cheers

Daniel

sounds like quite the dilema there brotha..I suppose theres a few things you can do:

1) sell them and buy a different pair

2) contact TCI and see if they can help you

3) search around for someone who's a wizz at these things and see if they might be able to fix it

Well, I got a problem too with my Sordins. They do only work when the battery cover is fixed in a middle position, if I try to close it right they wont work anymore. It really ###### me off having *suitcase* for this high price. I believe it has a bad contact. I even thought about opening it and see if everthings ok but I woudnt want to destroy it.

Cheers

Daniel

Well I can recommend www.earshotcommunications.co.uk in the UK, if you want them looked at & fixed. Very efficient and not too expensive.

Archived