Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing a few people mention Baofeng recently,

I was looking into getting a UV-5r off ebay, but looking into the legal implications.

yes it can transmit on PMR freq and has a low power setting, but is programmable and has a removable antenna.

According to what i've read on the subject this means you would need a foundation radio licence to transmit on it.

Is anyone doing this? or is it a case of "use it no one will check" ?

I'm running Binatone 950's with a throat mic at the minute, as they are cheap and got good reviews on amatuer radio forums. 

Up until I heard about the Baofengs I was considering an Intek 5050 for myself and keeping the 950's for my son and his friends.

cheers, Jim

Carn't remember where i seen it but the bit about the antenna doesn't apply so long as the one fitted does not increase the power over 500mW

Hello guys!

I am looking for a Kenwood VHF radio which accepts their 2-pin connector. 

I already have a Puxing, but I am looking for something that "fills" MBITR pouches better and has a longer battery life and possibly swappable antennas.

Can anyone point me in to right direction?

Eizen-    I have been looking at the Baofeng UV5R and it would seem to fit your needs, 

Can be fitted with an extended battery pack which puts it close to what you want in size

Has detachable/ swappable antenna and takes 2 pin kenwood connector I believe.

Jim

My new team is switching to Baofeng UV-B5 and they are trickling in from ebay, we have 2 so far so I did a bit of testing with the software and setting them up, everything just works and the only problem so far was getting the drivers for the USB programming cable to work, but now it takes 30 sec to set a new radio up, custom channel names and all that good stuff.

Both Baofeng radios are dual channel (meaning you can listen to 2 channels at the same time and talk to one), have Kenwood  connectors, 5W max power,  replaceable antennas, and can be easily programmed by hand or a PC to use the PMR446/FRS...etc free frequencies. Basically equivalent to the Puxing 888K, better in some things, worse in others, but way cheaper.

According to this HAM review: http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/12/18/review-baofeng-uv-b5-baofeng-uv-b6/ the Baofeng UV-B5 is better in pure technical terms. The conventional encoder knob is also a better idea than the led light of the UV5R or UV-B6.

But I'd say that the Baofeng UV5R is probably the best value for us airsofters right now. The capacity for a extended 3800mAh battery is a killer feature, ideal for the tipical weekend 48h milsim event (and yes, it makes it look more like a MBITR). It has more accesories like car chargers, cases...etc.

Having on mind that most of the features of these radios are overkill for us, I think that the UV5R is nowadays the perfect airsoft radio, unless you want to go full on geardo for the airsoft PRC148/PRC152 replicas (with equivalent internals to other chinese radios), or the real deal ($$$$$ and a lot of patience and know how).

Of course, these hand held HAM radios need a license for the user or you can be fined if caught with one. Without a license, a quality certified Motorola/Kenwood/Icom DPMR446 radio with true digital capability for the extra 16 channels (here in Europe) is probably the best. Even with 0.5W their better quality and features (waterproofing, voice encryption...) would probably compensate for it.

The real reason for the popularity of these chinese radios is the extended power, range and audio quality they provide. They just work in situations where a PMR/FRS just can't receive or send a signal.

But even with a Baofeng/Puxing... etc you must be limited to PRM,FRS...etc. unlicensed free frequencies. It's a bad, bad idea to go outside those for airsoft use unless you know very well what are you doing. Remember that the radio spectrum is a finite resource and it's heavily regulated and monitored. Irresponsible use of radios can cause interference to critical life-saving services like ambulances, police...etc. This is no joke.

The PMR446 8 channels + subtones are enought for most airsoft events if people don't behave like idiots. Just a channel/subtone for each "squad", and others for each "side" and the staff. There is also a newer DPMR446 standard that adds 16 channels more in the same 446Mhz range, but it requires digital radios that are more expensive.

If the licence to use non-PMR radios is so cheap in the UK, it's really a no brainer  to get it!

Problem is even with a licence, 99% of other players will be using pmr radios and frequencies so I would have to use those, which means 0.5W limit anyway so I think I'll end up getting the more expensive yet pmr legal Intek 5050.

I might get a licence further down the road but unless the rest of my team step up I'll be talking to myself!

Jim

Eh? It doesn't work that way. The power of the radio emissions its a different matter than the frequency is tuned to. Those are different settings.

The defined 8 PMR channels in the 446Mhz range will work the same if you use a radio with more power, like 3W or 5W. Radios like the UV5R have a low 1W/high 4.5W power settings that let you choose between more range or more battery endurance, but you can set any frequency you like.

By law, a certified PMR radio it's limited to 0.5W to have a short range and that it doesn't cause much interference. After all, is intended to be used by people with no knowledge about radio stuff in densely populated Europe.

Basically, more power  means a stronger signal and more range, so people can heard you from longer distances or throught denser obstacles like forest trees, houses, terrain features like small hills...etc. The antenna and the quality of the electronics determine how far and clear it can receive a signal.

A lot of players with these chinese radios just preprogram 79 channels with PMR frequencies and subtones, so that channel "10" will be PMR channel 1 with no subtone, channel "15" is PMR 1 with subtone 5... up to "89" = PMR 8 subtone 9. (If it becomes necessary to use another highter subtone, it can be always set up manually on the field.) This way they can communicate with everyone with PMR radios and get more range. (Just don't go outside 446Mhz!)

There is also extra features to have in mind, like being able to listen to 2 channels at the same time or better 2-pin connectors more compatible with Kenwood/Icom accesories and most of the airsoft military style headsets.

So if I was to use it on pmr freqs even on low power mode (1w) I would be breaking the law?

Yes, unless you have a license. By the way, I've found that the intek mt-5050 can be very, very easily modded to 4W:  http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1664

Since it's so cheap in the UK to do it, I think you should get licensed and then just mod you radio! No need for the Baofengs/Puxings...etc. unless you want extra features.

Pick your brains time from a radio newbie.

The guys I regularly meet up with use radios and I tend to borrow one of their spares and so saw the use of them.  I picked up a Motorola XTNi/D for a decent price off eBay (maybe a bit too cheap).  Tried it out last time we met up - the others could hear me, but I could not hear them.  Having looked online I factory reset it, but had no way to test.

I decided to pick up a second one - a TTI TXL446 as Maplins have them going (if you can find them) for just £25 and I know that if I could get the Motorola working one of them could be used by another friend of mine who's an occasional player.

With both charged up I put them on the same channel and lo - the TTI could hear the Motorola but not the other way round.  Now here's the thing, I pressed the SB1 button on the Motorola and lo - comms both ways - until I turn it off and then on again, at which point I have to press SB1 again to get the thing to work.

Now the question (after all that) is - is there a way I can set it so I do not have to press the button each time ?  I don't have the software or cable for it so any fix must be through the handset.

Cheers for any help.

Yes, unless you have a license. By the way, I've found that the intek mt-5050 can be very, very easily modded to 4W:  http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1664

Since it's so cheap in the UK to do it, I think you should get licensed and then just mod you radio! No need for the Baofengs/Puxings...etc. unless you want extra features.

Wrong, if you work in the pmr freq you are limited to 500mW you are not supose to run higher then this. Theres nothing stoping you running 1watt etc but it really isn't nice to blast everything in the local arear on the 446 freq.

Also the only pmr sets i will use these days at the XTNiD / XTNi or the older XTN from Motorola. The only complaint is changing the channels can be a pita sometimes when in a rush wish they was the two rotary knob type which would making swapping them quicker..

Pick your brains time from a radio newbie.

The guys I regularly meet up with use radios and I tend to borrow one of their spares and so saw the use of them.  I picked up a Motorola XTNi/D for a decent price off eBay (maybe a bit too cheap).  Tried it out last time we met up - the others could hear me, but I could not hear them.  Having looked online I factory reset it, but had no way to test.

Sounds like you don't have the sub channel [CTCSS or DCS] set correctly, by default iirc the XTNi's etc default to channel 1 / 2 and subcode 2

Also that price is a steal i wanted to try one out myself but they was always a lot more.

Further muppet question - how do I change the subcode ?

Via the menu system on the radios. best to try and set them to say channel 1 or 2 with subcode 0 - this turns off CTCSS / DCS

Look in the manual for thr TTI or maybe this will help

http://youtu.be/yHY2dZ4bMzo

XTNiD page 38 onwards from here [pdf]

You will want to make sure any voice scramble is also off on both sets.

Wrong, if you work in the pmr freq you are limited to 500mW you are not supose to run higher then this. Theres nothing stoping you running 1watt etc but it really isn't nice to blast everything in the local arear on the 446 freq.

Yeah, I was mistaken. Even with a licence is not legal to use the PMR frequencies with more than 0.5W anywhere in Europe. Same for FRS in the US.

How much better is the range of high quality certified PMR radios (midland, motorola, kenwood, yaesu, icom...) compared to the cheap models? I know they have better specs on paper, but I'd like to know actual performance from airsoft players. Are they able at least to receive signals at the same ranges as typical chinese radios like puxings and baofengs?

The build quality will always be better. The audio quality tends to be better. Certain features are sometimes on the highend pmr sets compared to the low end.

Take the T6222; to this day is one of a few pmr sets that does near instant CTCSS decoding (shows you the channel and sub channel that activity is on)

Range is pretty much limited with pmr sets due to the power and the fact the antenna are not proper 1/4 wave. The typical chinese radios tend to have bnc connected ones that are close to a proper 1/4 wave and they tend to run 1watt and higher {clones of the kenwoods etc}

The one area that decent pmr sets stand out is the UI on them is fair easier to deal with then the cheap end ones and the chinese clone's.

Keep looking at the TTI pmr sets because they do one that can be modded to 3watts very easy but think i'll stick with the XTNiD's for now. The ui on the TXL446 [see yt link before] looks to be one of the slickest i have seen.

Archived