Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a TASC style headset from Toy Soldier that I use on my Motorola FRS radios. I found it not only hurt my ear after a few games, but it also screwed up my directional hearing to the point that I really couldn't tell which direction sounds were coming from.

I currently have "upgraded" to a Saber II with a speaker mic (like cops wear on their epaulets). My speaker mic has a 2.5mm jack on it, so I can run with any headset that has regular speaker jacks on it. Thinking about getting those Sordins with the 3.5mm jack on them and just using my existing mic.

A word of caution for those of you with programmable radios. The FCC specifies that anybody operating on FRS channels is limited to 0.5 watts, and GMRS channels I think are 5 or 6 watts for mobile sets, and something like 25 watts for base stations. Keep it legal if you can, people.

I find headsets like that really disconcerting, hence why i dont own any. My recommendation would be to try a headset (especially a high end one) before you buy it. Either buy a clone or use someone else's down at the local site/shop. Getting face to face opinions on stuff is better than internet reviews in my experience.

Ok thanks, currently i use Comtac I's hooked up to a pryme speaker mic, because i really don't feel like shelling out 200-250 for a boom mic/ptt for it. But I do sometimes they start to hurt my head/get hot, I'm guessing a bowman styled headset would be my best option, or just run the speaker mic with an earpiece

Midland offers a motorcycle helmet headset for about $30us I believe. It has two earphones which velcro into your helmet and either a mic that does the same or depending on the kit you buy has a boom mic of sorts. They also have remot PTT's for them. I have yet to try them out but if you guys are looking for some decent headsets that do not obstruct your "normal" hearing that could be an option.

I have seen them pinned for Icom as well as one pin.

Hi all... I have an Icom F4s (yes Old model I know, I got it for a good price though). Its progammed for FRS/GMRS basic channels I think. I use a Pryme SPM-1500 with it, and it works quite well.... Except for the fact that the damned thing will switch channels when tapped, usually at the worst of times (like screaming into it for reinforcing, whilst solo assaulting a guarded hill, and not noticing that it switched channels on me <_< ) Any way to make it hold a channel or somehting? Or make it lock (kinda like on say an Ipod)?

I wear the Swimmer (TASC Style) Headset for pics when in my SEAL kit, but for gameplay - Bowman Style all the way... that "suction cup" over the left ear gets really old, really fast...

For radios I've had success with the higer end Kenwood models (VHF programmed for FRS Channels) but you do lose your sub channels...

Question: Does anyone else have problems with the Mic on their DEVGRU Swimmer's Headset? I still have mine, but it's unusable because while I can recieve just fine, when I transmit no one can hear me... any solutions?

Picked up the eBB copy of the TASC1 headset. Not bad, too much cord for my liking but I'm not about to cut it down.

Transmits clearly, projects audio clearly. I miss the sound in the left ear a bit but that eardrum is ruptured anyways so it's not so bad.

Hi all... I have an Icom F4s (yes Old model I know, I got it for a good price though). Its progammed for FRS/GMRS basic channels I think. I use a Pryme SPM-1500 with it, and it works quite well.... Except for the fact that the damned thing will switch channels when tapped, usually at the worst of times (like screaming into it for reinforcing, whilst solo assaulting a guarded hill, and not noticing that it switched channels on me <_< ) Any way to make it hold a channel or somehting? Or make it lock (kinda like on say an Ipod)?

If your radio was programmed properly the lock feature should still be usable. The button with the - under the channel buttons. Simply press and hold it a second or two and you will see a little key come on the LCD.

I wear the Swimmer (TASC Style) Headset for pics when in my SEAL kit, but for gameplay - Bowman Style all the way... that "suction cup" over the left ear gets really old, really fast...

For radios I've had success with the higer end Kenwood models (VHF programmed for FRS Channels) but you do lose your sub channels...

Question: Does anyone else have problems with the Mic on their DEVGRU Swimmer's Headset? I still have mine, but it's unusable because while I can recieve just fine, when I transmit no one can hear me... any solutions?

How do you get a VHF radio to work in the FRS range which is in the UHF band?

As an aswer to your question, I recall a gent that had purchased one of the first headsets that came out and he replaced the mic right away. Does the radio key up when you hit the transmit button?

How do you get a VHF radio to work in the FRS range which is in the UHF band?

As an aswer to your question, I recall a gent that had purchased one of the first headsets that came out and he replaced the mic right away. Does the radio key up when you hit the transmit button?

1. Magic - Nah I just do the VHF - UHF flip flop in my mind sometimes ;) it's a UHF Radio (TK3200L)

2. The radio keys up, but my transmissions are exceedingly low volume (almost inaudible)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking at upgrading to something more high tech then the Motorola talkabout I've been using for the last year. Does anyone have recommendation? I would like to stay below 100 or so, and it needs to be UHF compatible. I've been looking at the Puxing-777 or 888, but have little to compare them to, and no actual experience with either.

On a side note, are there any I could get that would be able to do both UHF and VHF? I like the idea of having one radio that I would never need to change in the future.

Does anyone here happen to have a wiring schematic of sorts for Moto Saber II accessories? I.e., I want to re-wire a headset, but have no idea as to actually go about it, so if I could find out what the radio needs, then I can wire the ptt, etc, to match.

I picked this up elsewhere....

SABER ACCESSORY CONNECTOR PINOUT (looking the back of the radio):

(.)

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

10 11 12

The () is ground around remote antenna centre pin.

1 EXT SPKR+

2 EXT SPKR-

3 DATA

4 EXT MIC

5 /WE

6 BUSY

7 OPT SEL*

8 OPT B+

9 KEY

10 KEYLOAD

11 DVP CLK/AUX TX

* The OPT SEL pin follows the following table:

All Internal, STD Operation 5VDC

EXT MIC and SPKR, STD ANT 1.24VDC

EXT MIC, SPKR and ANT 2.5VDC

EXT ANT ONLY 3.74VDC

I bought a bunch of cheap Moto Saber speaker mics (like what you see cops wear on their typically on their epaulets). I'm going to use the connector off of it and splice in a headset.

I'll let you know how it works out.

I see you are in SC. If you are on scairsoft.com, check the radio gurus there. I'm pretty sure they've done it more than once.

Yeah, they're all friends of mine, lol. There's one or two people I haven't asked yet now that I think about it, though.

The speaker mic chop/splice is exactly what I tried to do, but re-wiring the ptt was a bit beyond my level of know-how. Definitely post up how it works for you.

Wrench - thanks, I'll see where that gets me.

Got myself a Swimmer headset for Motorola Talkabout, thinking it might fit on my Cobra radio. But it didnt.

So now im thinking about buying a Talkabout, or anything that would work with a talkabout headset, any spesific models I should be looking into?

Im guessing ebay is a good place to buy a set?

Archived