Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, for that Apex, i'm glad I was on the right track.

and thanks dapprman for the heads up on the TTI's I have just "click and collect" reserved one at Maplin.

There are still a few around and looks like a darn good buy for £25!

Jim

I have a second hand one I bought for £35-40, and my mate has one he got new for £50, and we thought we had done pretty well. £25 is an absolute steal!

Cheers, for that Apex, i'm glad I was on the right track.

and thanks dapprman for the heads up on the TTI's I have just "click and collect" reserved one at Maplin.

There are still a few around and looks like a darn good buy for £25!

Jim

Theres 3 in leeds.... i might just have to take a trip >_<

I think these can be modded too for higher power [theres a menu option for hi power but am not sure if that just means 500mW or if it means more] but i haven't seen any 'how too' [its bigger brother can be modded to 3watts vi a solder bridge]

Be aware that iirc TTI use the midland standard for the plugs which to me is a pita.

Between the XTNiD and the TXL-446 i would not look at any other 'high end' pmr sets

Budget option would be something like the below; i've one on the way so i'll be able to check it out.

Baofeng BF-888s Review

Just got a TXL-446 and so far i like it; the ui on this is one of if not the slickest i have ever seen on a PMR set.

I've also found out how to mod this to 2/3 watts output but with the stock attena its not really going to make the best use of it.

If its the one i think it is, then its not for this one but for the the TXL's bigger brother [TX-1446].

The 2-3 watt mod on the TXL-446 is done via software - i have the cable on the way [cost is almost the same price that the handset is....] The only downside i can see is the battery life will be reduced but this is based on the 1500mAh cells they sell with the set; i have some Sanyo LSD enloops [2500mAh] so we shall see.

Even on the lowest audio setting these are loud >_<

Stock in maplins of the TXL is very limited; i am going to see if they are willing to ship them from one store to another; i want to pick up another 4 of these >_<

I have a BF-888s on the way too just to have a play about with; i'll just stick it on the main 446 freq and not bother with any sub codes etc

Had a little go with the TXL446 and so far I'm impressed,

Build quality is ok, detachable belt hook is good very solid when fitted but able to be removed to fit in a molle pouch.

Lanyard attachment point moulded into the top of the body.

Nice clear easy to use menu.

Simple scanning.

Very clear audio, tested with binatone 950's and Motorola TA2's

Call signal sent by double tapping the send button could be annoying though...

Overal a nice bit of kit, I have just ordered another one!

Jim

The MT1000 uses the MX antenna connector (1/4" x 32), not a BNC. Furthermore, the entire connector ring is hot, so DO NOT attempt to use an MX to BNC adapter or you WILL fry the radio when you key up. I cannot stress that enough, the MX to BNC adapter that might work with other Motorola radios WILL NOT WORK with the MT1000.

Damn these radios, so many antennas that don't fit...Thanks for the info.

Ok, more generally, how are antennas matched to certain radio models?  I know an antenna with the correct connector type and frequency will physically fit and work with any radio with that same connector and frequency, but won't work as well as an antenna specifically made for that model.  Why is that?

Do you guys have any experience with dual or more band handhelds? I've got a Puxing 777 now, and I'd like to upgrade to a unit that has at least UHF and VHF, anything else would be a bonus. I know Wouxun has some that seem decent, anything in particular I should look at? Kenwood 2 pin or Moto 1 pin are preferable I guess.

Damn these radios, so many antennas that don't fit...Thanks for the info.

Ok, more generally, how are antennas matched to certain radio models?  I know an antenna with the correct connector type and frequency will physically fit and work with any radio with that same connector and frequency, but won't work as well as an antenna specifically made for that model.  Why is that?

Read this to start with; it might not make sense right now but its helpful starting point.

Any reputable headset with an "icom" or "standard" 2 pin connector should fit (10mm gap between pins) maplin sell them.

Note- I understand that kenwood and motorola 2 pins look similar but wont work, I think kenwood is same spacing but the mic is on the 3.5mm pin instead of the 2.5mm.

Jim

Had a little go with the TXL446 and so far I'm impressed,

Build quality is ok, detachable belt hook is good very solid when fitted but able to be removed to fit in a molle pouch.

Lanyard attachment point moulded into the top of the body.

Nice clear easy to use menu.

Simple scanning.

Very clear audio, tested with binatone 950's and Motorola TA2's

Call signal sent by double tapping the send button could be annoying though...

Overal a nice bit of kit, I have just ordered another one!

Jim

Any chance of seeing a pic of your set up? Just bought one of there and obviously looking to get a ptt and headset on this.

Archived