Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

Might try my luck here :-) already messaged PX-Airsoft about this but I'm a wondering for a 2nd opinion:

I've acquired a Nacre Quiet Pro Dual Comm with MBITR plug but I was wondering if a U-229 plug to Kenwood plug would work or do I need to use a amplify (like the sordins need to use, or in the case change the mic for impendance problems)?

According to PX-Airsoft (Ebaystore): the answer is that I need the version without the amplify but I'm hoping somebody here can either confirm or point me in the correct direction would be a shame of the time I would lose just because of this...

Thanks!

Edit:

Forgot to say that I'm running a Puxing 888

Edit2: fixed a few typo's here and there

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Troops,

Gambled with quality and bought a Z-Tac bowman headset with the PTT.

When plugged into the Motorola via one pin the LCD shows that i'm transmitting. The pin is all the way in, no buttons depressed. I can press either button and nothing changes. In addition, the existing throat mic works and does not show transmitting when plugged in.

Now, with no other radio I can get hold of am I? Or is this a manufacturing fault?..

I've just tested the new wireless PTT set from Ztac with my BF UV-R5 radio and it uses a Kenwood connector. When I press the inline PTT button it transmits fine, however when I release the press it does not actually stop TX'ing right away. Anyone got any ideas about this? Is it the radio or the shoddy PTT?

I realise this is an old thread but I worked out the problem and thought I would share the solution...

In the Baofeng radio there is a setting which says "PTT DELAY" or similar and was set to "5" - change this setting to "0" and no problem.

I worked out that the PTT delay is essentially an option that uses software to keep the mic open for the value (in the default setting on mine it was set to 5, being five seconds) so if you change that to "0" then there is no delay - as you release the TX button on the PTT it closes the mic.

I'm assuming you mean the PRC-152 as TRI haven't released an MBITR yet.

I'm using mine with a TRI PTT and RS comtac 3s. Receiving is fine but transmissions were really quiet, barely audible on full volume. Fixed with a TRI mic on the comtacs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

When I brought my 152's last year (I don't have them any more) they came with a mic designed as a replacement for the real mic on RS Comtac's to fix the low volume problem as you have described.

The question I have is, if I use a crappy Ztac PTT connected to my Baofeng, and connect my RS Comtac IV's (waiting for them to arrive - on order) to the crappy PTT will the TX volume be good if I swap out and use the Tri mic?

Cheers.

PS - If anyone else has any notes on using RS Comtac's with ACM radios please chip in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Necro.

I want to up my comms game and would love a genuine set of Comtacs or Sordins (probably a dual comm Comtac as I'm also a marshall and would be handy for larger multi section games).

Now I know there's impedance issues with real headsets and PMR handsets. I'm looking into the Tri 152s and 148s as they offer the milspec look. Would it be better to have the headset or handset modified to deal with the impedance issues? I've seen a Tri 152 already modded for real comms and I'm tempted. Thing is if I get another I'd need to either mod the headset (would thar still then work with the modded handset?) or the second handset.

Just really want some gucci comms.

Twitch, I think the IDEAL solution is to do it in the PTT (or even better, to have impedence-switching in the PTT). But this is not necessarily the cheapest.

I do have real MSA Sordins for sale, one each of dual comm ($200) and single comm ($110). The single comm has the Lemo 6-pin connector, but the dual has the usual mil plug.

Twitch, I think the IDEAL solution is to do it in the PTT (or even better, to have impedence-switching in the PTT). But this is not necessarily the cheapest.

I do have real MSA Sordins for sale, one each of dual comm ($200) and single comm ($110). The single comm has the Lemo 6-pin connector, but the dual has the usual mil plug.

Fair enough. Well my dad's a qualified electrician (among other things) so I could probably get him to sort out the wiring so long as he knows what he needs to do.

Any chance you'd ship to the UK?

Necro.

I want to up my comms game and would love a genuine set of Comtacs or Sordins (probably a dual comm Comtac as I'm also a marshall and would be handy for larger multi section games).

Now I know there's impedance issues with real headsets and PMR handsets. I'm looking into the Tri 152s and 148s as they offer the milspec look. Would it be better to have the headset or handset modified to deal with the impedance issues? I've seen a Tri 152 already modded for real comms and I'm tempted. Thing is if I get another I'd need to either mod the headset (would thar still then work with the modded handset?) or the second handset.

Just really want some gucci comms.

Hi Twitch,

I have a dual comm Comtac III neck band model, which is like the normal headband job but it is better for mounting on helmets using arc rails, and generally more comfortable than the head band as it is less pinchy - if you have worn comtacs for a while you'll know what I mean.

Anyhow... I have found that I got my comms to work 100% with my Baofeng radios this way...

I use the Tri Comtac Mic - I think you can get these off eBay for cheap and a ZTac PTT. You just use the Tri mic, and pull the PTT apart and swap around the red and yellow lead inside as for some reason they are not wired correctly for genuine comtacs but this method works 100% and I can tell you I was well chuffed to get them working - all it actually cost was the mic and a little bit of soldering.

If you were interested mate, my Comtacs are never skirmished, with the box and manual. I could if you wanted chuck in an Emerson Ops Core helmet with the arc rail connectors for a fully ready helmet/comms set up and I am of course in the UK. Send me a PM with your number if you like and I'll ring you with info.

Alternatively, if you want more info on the wiring job then I'll help you with that instead.

Rich

You *bramston pickle*, I just paid 40 more than that two weeks ago. Haha. 

Do you have any details on setting up impedance switching in the ptt? I had been trying to work out how I was handling that, along with making an adaptor from the Lemo.

The PTT switching work is a bit beyond my knowledge, unfortunately. You could try talking to MSA, TEA, etc and see what they offer/say. I know when I was looking for an off-the-shelf option it was running upwards of $200... but then you'd never have to worry about it again.

Tw1tch, yeah, I could probably ship it over. It's not an ITAR item. It would just be a bit costly. Then again I've never seen anyone selling these for less than me, so it's probably still a good deal!

In the UK (In Sussex or Hampshire) there is a company called Talking Headsets which do all kinds of custom work. They take the real steel kit and make it work with Baofeng's etc. I've never used them, but they come highly recommended. Also I have spoken to them on the phone and they are really friendly and helpful and quoted £40 p/h for work which I think is pretty reasonable these days.

The PTT switching work is a bit beyond my knowledge, unfortunately. You could try talking to MSA, TEA, etc and see what they offer/say. I know when I was looking for an off-the-shelf option it was running upwards of $200... but then you'd never have to worry about it again.

Tw1tch, yeah, I could probably ship it over. It's not an ITAR item. It would just be a bit costly. Then again I've never seen anyone selling these for less than me, so it's probably still a good deal!

TEA at least claims to no longer offer that kind of service. Maybe it's the non-mil blowoff, but on the phone and by email they said they're done. I haven't yet talked to MSA or TCI yet, so we'll see on that front. I know TCI used to, but I don't know what the options are or the cost. I'll see. Anyone have experience with setting up the amplification at all? I'm decently competent with a soldering iron.

Hey guys, anyone have any experience with ztactical u94 PTT and bone conduction headset? Want to get a proper comms setup for an upcoming game in august. Cheers

as I mainly plan on using the radio to get objections/locations and not to communicate(far from my strongest point as I've a stammer) would this setup work? Planning on getting a baofeng radio so would I just stick with the included headset? Need to get the order off soon so I would value some input from people with experience in the subject.

Hi mate. The included headset with the Baofeng does work, especially if you don't plan on saying much as the PTT and mic are tiny and don't really stay in one place. In my experience throat mics are uncomfortable and unless you buy a decent one they don't work especially well.

I'd recommend a Kenwood 2 pin type PTT (this is what the Baofeng's use) and a Bowman headset. The Bowman headset doesn't block out any ambiant noise and allows you to wear headgear comfortably while wearing it. They are also tough and cheap. You should expect to pay circa £30 for the PTT and headset.

• 6 months later...

Any guesses for why a Sordin headset would be just transmitting noise when the ptt was pressed? It's going through a mil ptt and amplifier to a commercial radio. I can hear transmissions fine, but sending them it doesn't appear that any signal from the mic is involved.

Yeah, I bought a new one to compare side by side. Hopefully around the same time I'll receive the 10 pin to 6 pin adapter I ordered so I can try another headset too.

I spoke to one person who suggested it was the headset, and iirc MSA has a fixed price repair that I'll check out.

The amp my be bogoogred

what's the setup? I had similar issue with a MSA headset from evil-bay, tried some troubleshooting with every piece from my setup and found out the headset was "bad", luckily the seller agreed to take it back and refunded.

if possible, try connecting headset to radio without amp and blow air into the mic

receiving end should still pick up some "proper" noise even with un-amped mic

Unfortunately I have no way to step it down without the amp. I do believe the problem is the headset itself though. The guy I bought it from is willing to take it back, but there is apparently a real dearth of them on ebay right now so I'm considering shipping it out for repair instead.

Srstactical in Florida did the work on my sordins and they were a fantastic bunch. Pretty quick at answering emails and turn around was quick.

What model sordins do you have? Should be a sticker. Mine are old 75303 with a bone mic and a 6pin lemo. Cost me damn near 300$ for the conversion with a new noise canceling mic but it was so worth it on a 150$ headset.

They also have an amplified ptt for any radio, for me it was 148, some are much more but the systems they sell work.

Archived