Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

While it's not a big deal to rig a PTT to say an Icom, the Saber's pinout is considerably more complex... the OPT SEL pin controls how the radio acts with accessories attached -- that is, whether or not the radio acknowledges the presence of an accessory, and whether or not to switch off the internal mic/speaker.

Simply wiring something to the connector is not going to work; what will probably work is taking the speaker mic itself apart without sacrificing the built in PTT and wiring as it is. The speaker mic will provide the proper resistance across the OPT SEL pin to put the radio in external mic/speaker mode. What you'd need to do then is unsolder the speaker wires from the speaker as they diverge inside the speaker mic housing (easy - blue and black wires on my picture). You'd need to splice these with the speaker wires from your headset.

IMG_1171.jpg

Next, you'd have to unsolder the mic from the PCB (harder) - the mic is situated on an insulating wafer, with a ribbon cable leading to it. The ribbon itself has two holes through which you could solder the connections from you mic wires, although I don't have the equipment to determine the proper impedance for a Saber mic. Consider transplanting the mic element itself into the boom of your headset (would probably fit in the mic cavity from a Bowman -- speaking on past experience, but I don't have one in hand to verify).

The PTT itself is 'modular' in that it's seated on a separate PCB with only two leads going to it (yellow and orange) -- could be replaced with any SPST switch. I wanted to construct a new housing in the style of the TEA universal PTT for such a project, but I haven't been able to find a plastic housing box in any electronics shop of the appropriate size. A cheap radio shack SPST momentary toggle switch is easily obtained and would look right for the project. Anybody know where I can find a plastic enclosure of this shape?

headset-MIBTR-2.jpg

It's kind of trapezoid shaped (look at the PTT's to see what I'm talking about)

top48el4.jpg

The PCB from the Saber mic is pretty small, I'm also considering transplanting it into a military radio handset, like this one:

675c_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darthwhite,

Try rearranging or taking some of the pads out. I always take the top circular pad out and most of the guys I know do as well.

Then rearrange the cuboid shaped pads vertically to the front and rear of the MICH, so that there is a slot for headband.

That's a nifty looking project that's for sure!

I've got a bit of a gear compatablity issue with my sordins at the moment: I cant get a helmet to fit over the sordins and my head! I've tried a MICH2001 and IBH and despite claims to the contrary neither of them work.

Does anyone else know of anything else i can use? I normally use a baseball cap/beene hat but an upcoming FIBUA game requires a helmet.

Dude, my head is bigger than yours and I get my MICH over my sordins...you need to try my MICH!

Darthwhite,

Try rearranging or taking some of the pads out. I always take the top circular pad out and most of the guys I know do as well.

Then rearrange the cuboid shaped pads vertically to the front and rear of the MICH, so that there is a slot for headband.

Figured I would help with an illustration... however, mine has a couple of pads in place of the round crown pad.

IMG_2813.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey you guys, I recently got my Peltor Comtac II headset with dual downleads and have finally figured out this is the headset for me, and now am just waiting on a sordin headset. My question here is does anyone know a good place to get a PTT for a Motorola Saber radio connection at a good affordable price? I've checked out Botach and Tactical Comm and am contemplating on them, but wanna see if there is any place better or a lil cheaper.

I basically have the headset, and the radios, along with the hi rose adapter on the radio, and now just need the PTT. Thanks.

Hey you guys, I recently got my Peltor Comtac II headset with dual downleads and have finally figured out this is the headset for me, and now am just waiting on a sordin headset. My question here is does anyone know a good place to get a PTT for a Motorola Saber radio connection at a good affordable price? I've checked out Botach and Tactical Comm and am contemplating on them, but wanna see if there is any place better or a lil cheaper.

I basically have the headset, and the radios, along with the hi rose adapter on the radio, and now just need the PTT. Thanks.

*whoops, sorry bout the double post..had an error on my comp and it must've posted twice instead of once*

My teammate bought his from this place:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/peltor-accessories.html

Does anyone have a link on how to wire up a Devgru Swimmers to Saber radio's?

I checked that link and I can't find the required one for the Saber, I know I'm not usually retarded so maybe it's just me not looking for the right thing. Could you help me out by asking your teammate ? I need it to get my Comtac II to work with my Saber.

I'm looking for a new radio and headset to go with my US ACU loadout. I sold my old Motorola because I always seemed to lose comms because of a stupid hill or a bunch of trees. Theres just so many radios and headsets out there I don't know where to start. I wear an ACH so I really want something that would be comfortable under it.

KTcerberus, you can go with the new Comtac II replica that you can find on Ebay or Ebaybanned or any other good airsoft site and pick a pair of those up, they can models for connectors to either Motorola Talkabout I believe, and Icom radios..2 pin I think, not 100% sure. Or there's the Devgru frogman headset or perhaps the Calvalvy headsets as well. All these are affordable at no more than 100 dollars or so, and the radios are readily available as well. I usually do my radio shopping on Ebay but just do some google search and you'll be set.

I've been looking into an ICOM F21GM. But the Motorola Saber is attracting me also. I need something with decent range but it still has to be able to send and receive on GMRS/FRS freqs.

Also i saw a picture with the headphone speakers attached to the inside of a MICH with velcro, thats something I would love to do. Would it be possible with one of the ebaybanned headsets?

I've been looking into an ICOM F21GM. But the Motorola Saber is attracting me also. I need something with decent range but it still has to be able to send and receive on GMRS/FRS freqs.

Also i saw a picture with the headphone speakers attached to the inside of a MICH with velcro, thats something I would love to do. Would it be possible with one of the ebaybanned headsets?

Sordin makes a kit like you are describing. There are speakers that velcro to the inside of your MICH and the bone mic attaches to the inside top of the helmet. It is designed for when you are not in a high noise environment and do not need the additional hearing protection of their noise cancelling headsets.

ok, and will both of the cups work? or will the talking come out of only one? is it it like that any way?

Thanks

I use a dual-comm pair of Comtac II's with only one radio. They preform the same. Besides, if you ever need the second downlead for a 'command radio' at a large event, its handy to have. Squad on one, HQ on the other... easy peasy.

Im thinking about getting one of the radios on www.dealextreme.com (Around 50$), seems to be some sort of kenwood clones. Have anyone tried em? They look a bit more professional than the motorola talkabout, and I am guessing range is a lot better ? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Near necro here, but i wondered if any of you lot can reccomend a set of two entry level radios that are motorola 1 pin compatable? Finally decided to get some comms together with my rabble of a team, but i have no idea where to start and my googling has just confused me :(

Near necro here, but i wondered if any of you lot can reccomend a set of two entry level radios that are motorola 1 pin compatable? Finally decided to get some comms together with my rabble of a team, but i have no idea where to start and my googling has just confused me :(

Cobra Radio sets. I use mine with my a 1 pin motorola Bowman's and it works fine.

Archived