World war Z: what would you do?

WhutJP

premise: a war against zombies has broken out, every major city around the world is infected, near overrun. its happened fast.

governments and civil services are doing the best they can but clearly the situation is out of control.

The zombies move slowly, the infection passed by blood, and the only thing that can stop them is to seperate the brain from the body.

In such a situation, what would you do? if it happened today. where would you go?

im curious what people would do in their particular countries/areas etc.

hrm, i was going to pos my ideas but ive got to run, ill post mine later.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would lock myself in a bunker with some of these:

playboy_cover.jpg

A few crates of these:

5-johnny-walker.jpg

And one of these for when my position is inevitably given away by my loud, drunken moans as I masturbate:

M1911_Pistol_US.jpg

.45 ACP spraying my brains all over the wall > zombies munching on said brain.

Honestly, how many of you guys would actually spend your time trying to rebuild civilization? Hmm? Any Will Smiths out there?

Are we allowed to use the book? The Badger would grab everyone he could and board up the local Costco. The place is a fortress already. and is so stocked with supplies, he could probably survive for several years.

Costco Chickenbakes!!

you can just make a bunch of chickenbakes and give them to the zombies. then they wont hunger for brains

Head up past the snow line and hole up there. Make raids during the daytime into former civilization for food, weapons, ammunition, zombie fodder other survivors. Dig in at night. Even the mighty samurai zombies are no match for the Howitzers year-round sub-freezing temperatures.

okay wasn't able to edit so here goes;

I think the books are perfectly good references, but applying them to your current position.

What i was driving at was what would you do in your position where you are now? for example, i dont have a coscoes near me, and as for the bunker idea; is there a bunker near you that you have in mind?

im living in japan at the moment, although the police have guns and of course there is the military getting a gun is not likely.

What i would probably do is get a truck, load it with supplies and friends and head to the harbour, procure some kind of water transport (preferably a sailboat, fuel wont last forever) and go to one of the many many islands around here and farm on/guard that. make raids as necessary.

I would try to build/be part of a small community in a well guarded position. Eventually try to clear Awajishima - the island in the inland sea between Kobe and shikokku which has bridges connecting to both. Its a big island with plenty of farmland. Next would be Shikokku (4th largest island).

I think if i was back home in NZ it would be easier. I would head for a hydro-electric dam, plenty of water and the power stations are almost completely automatic. I know that the hoover damn would run without human intervention for about 200 years before it would cut out. power would be very useful.

For some other people's plans, see here:

Last year's Zombie Apocalypse Planning thread...

This kind of comes up a lot :P

Just to go over your plan there, things you should consider are:

1. Can you drive a truck?

2. What are the chances of stealing a truck when everyone else will be trying to steal them too?

3. How many other folks will be dashing for the boats at the harbour at the time?

4. Those islands are gonna be pretty full - you might not have enough land to support them all.

I'm not criticizing, just pointing out some things to consider. For a lot of folks in this kind of disaster situation, you face more than one threat to your survival - zombies and other survivors. Sure, a community of survivors stands a better chance maybe than one alone, but how big a community can you handle?

Tricky innit?

I estimate there are nine months of unperishable food in my house.

I live a few hundred meters from an abandoned caslte built in the 19th century, it can probably hold five or six people.

In my house there are about six swords (two with foesable blades), two bows, a crossbow, tons of knives, two round sheilds, plenty of bokens, baseball bats and staffs. As well as plenty of proper helmets (to stop head bites that seem all so common.)

I reckon I wouldn't have too much of a problem.

Edit: said Castle (actually it's pretty secure, both the stair cases are collapsed, so you would have to climb up and enter via the roof.

roundhay%20park%20castle.jpg

No the barraks are there but the range is privatley owned and run by some other geezer, ya have to get a membership to shoot there/ use the guns.

And actually no i dont think half the population have though of that. Besides people like us, who else thinks of things like that. (Like my family....well the adults lol) My aunt would be like riiight whatever. lol.

If you follow what the book says, you'll already have your eyes and ears open - and if you've been reading the news reports I've been reading then you'll be getting the gear ready for a swift move soon before the panic starts.

Can't be too careful folks - keep 'em peeled.

i'd borrow a few toys from work.

whilst collecting the real steel arsenal, i'd phone panzer8 and make sure that mofo is stocking up the larder.

once at his place we'd go to the island in the middle of the lake and set up home.

to the best of my knowledge, zombies can't swim. even if they can, we'll see 'em coming from a huge distance - like shooting fish in a barrel!

the flip side is, i'd reach 10,000 degrees celcius in less than a second when some secret government agency drops a small nuke/thermite bomb on the city and truely *fruitcage*s us all up!

I'd go with a small group of coeds from my local university away to a more rural area. Slowly we'd exhaust our resources, and turn on each other. When I eventually came out on top of our climactic battle for supremacy of the shack I would take any survivors and form a roaming motorcycle gang. Relying on our wits and numbers we'd raid local villages using sugar as currency. This would go on for months before the others found out I was skimming sugar off the top to make delicious cookies. Then I would probably be thrown into exile amongst the zombie hordes. This would necessitate me now growing a massive beard, and living in a cave until well after the zombies are eliminated. When found I'd imagine they'd do a discovery channel show on me.

^ Sweet.

(Provided I was home at the time) I would grab all the gear/food/clothing I could pack into a rucksack, our Remington Model 12, SIG .22 handgun, machete, Ruger Mini 14 ( If I had access to either of my parents vehicles, all this and more would be loaded into them). I would move either on foot/ in a vehicle towards a higher elavation,such as the Cascade Mountains above the snowline where they would freeze before they reached me. On my way I'd procure supplies/food. I'd live in one of the many abundant caves formed by glacial melt and fortify it to prevent undead intrusion, until spring then decend, looking for supplies to build a more permanent shelter.

Well, in the book, the U.S. government organized an exodus to the West Coast (mainly California) and used it as a safe zone to regroup and stage a massive counterattack. Since I'm already living in California, I would only need to survive the initial outbreaks, hold the fort, and wait for the cavalry.

However, if the safe zone is on the other side of the country, I would try my best to get there. First, I would fortify my home, hoard supplies, and arm myself (I live across the street from a firearm dealership). I would keep a low profile and maintain my strengths while the rest of the town descends into anarchy. When most of the population have died/fled/reanimated, I leave my stronghold and make for the snowline. I'll bog down with other groups of survivors during the warmer months and travel east during the winters.

Grab my AKMS, spare mags, Sig P226, spare mags, boxes of ammo, survival backpack stuffed with survival goodies (tissue, water purifier, first aid kit, handheld CB radio, fire starting stuff, etc.), chest rig for mags.

Fill my car with 2 weeks non-perishable food that only takes water and heat to prepare (nothing special, mostly Ramen and Tuna for protien). I got this because of the crashing economy and the possible impending food crisis. Not to mention I find myself broke more often that I'd like and having enough food to get me through a couple weeks is nice to fall back on.

Drive the people I care about to the mountains and hike in a ways. Fortify a position and wait it out.

If driving isn't an option, hiking works, but food will be more scarce that way.

I'm well prepared, but it's just because I have cool stuff. Not because I'm planning for a zombie uprising. I just happen to like cool toys that happen to work well in zombie scenarios.

Edit: spelling... neeed braiiins!

To sum up the thread;

If you are in America, get your collection of automatic weapons and head for the hills, surviving like the kids in Red Dawn.

If you are in the UK, go down the local supermarket.

edit:

Unless you have a definite place to go, leaving your home with the stuff you can fit in the trunk of your car just makes you a refugee.

I just realized how useful a hauberk would be against zombies: they may have unlimited resistance and be restless, but they dont have exceptional force, nor do they develop fangs.

A hauberk could save your life in body-to-body (in the non-sexual meaning) fight with the zombies. and remember how clumsy they are: even if they got you pinned down, theyd have a hard time figuring out how to rid you of your armor and finally get to your yummy brains.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

...a chainsaw on a pole!

230-0422729ibSPA70UC490668M.jpg

Available here: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...%7C10198804.htm

Okay so it's only 18V rechargeable, but with my generator upstairs and my stairs smashed, I can hang out my upstairs window and prune some necks.

Archived