Problem with a sale

I am selling off all of my airsoft equipment here on Arnie's and on a local New Jersey airsoft site. One of the items I have for sale is a Safariland 6004 built for a USP. The following are the PMs between Superhobo and myself, in the order they came. I can't figure out how to see the messages I sent, so I am unsure of timestamps for them.

The reason I am posting this in the Problems with sales section is that I feel I am not in the wrong. I wanted to post here to see what the Admins say, but when you see what happened in the last few PMs, you'll def see why I decided to move forward.

Here Goes:

SuperHobo 27/8/08 12:55pm

I'll take it.

Do you take cash in the mail?

let me know

Thanks

Me

I will take cash, but don't forget the $8 for shipping. That makes $83 total.

You can send it to my office:

Make sure you inhave your shipping address inside the letter, and I'll send it out the day after I receive the cash.

(At this point I marked it SPF to Superhobo)

Superhobo 27/8/08 1:32pm

well would you do $75 shipped?

Me

$80?

Superhobo 27/8/08 1:57pm

fair enough.

I'll try to get the money out ASAP.

Thanks

(I would point out he said TRY)

Superhobo 27/8/08 2:17pm

it is real safariland, not replica right?

(I can't figure out how to get my sent PMs, but I told him yes it was, the person I buy it from only uses real gear. Also at this point, I had a buyer say they were ready to paypal for it. I realized that I had posted SPF to Superhobo, but when i read his message saying "try" to send money, immediatly followed by a "is it real" message, I got the impression that he was hesitent to buy it and had not said he was actually sending the funds. So I agreed to sell it to the other person)

Me - not sure of the time, because it was right before I went to bed last night

Sorry, but someone all ready paypal'd me for it.

Superhobo 28/8/08 12:31am

Um excuse me?

I thought you were holding it for me?

So you just tell me that the holster is mine and just blow me off?

Thats great.

Me

Nowhere did I state I was holding it, since I do not ever do holds. We negotiated price, you said you would "try to get the money out", not "I am sending you the money", and also, you then asked me if it was real, which implied to me you were still hesitant.

I have reviewed all the PMs we exchanged, you should do also.

Superhobo 28/8/08 1:03pm

when I tell people I am going to try to get their package out tommorow, I mean, that I am getting their package out tommorow.

I sent the envelope out with my mom since she was also sending some of her own stuff.

You're lucky you didn't tell me this later, otherwise the money would have already been out, and you'd have to refund the other person.

Think of it this way:

There's Dude 1, dude 2, and dude 3.

Dude 1 is selling a battery.

Dude 2 wants the battery and PM's dude 1 about what his paypal address is.

Dude 1 PM backs and says "its all yours, my paypal address is xxxxxx@ccccc.com"

Then Dude 2 logs into his paypal and gets ready to send the money

Then dude 1 PMs him last minute and says "sorry bout that, dude 3 PM'd me after you, and he just paypal'd me"

How would you feel if you were dude 1?

I'm strongly considering putting you in the bad seller thread.

Me

I'm sorry that you are upset by this, and if you feel like putting me in the bad sellers thread, I can't stop you, just be aware that every other transaction I have done thru Arnie's has had zero problems.

And you are correct, if you had sent it all ready, I would credit the other person, and it would be yours. For the future, please be aware that the word "try" is NOT a word associated with finality. And asking after you state that you'd take it "if it is a real one" very much implies hesitency on your part.

If you do end up putting me in bad sellers thread, please let me know, so I can post all our messages back and forth so people can see the information.

Superhobo 28/8/08 1:40pm

Ok, I read some of the stuff in the bad seller thread, and this transcation isn't as bad as this one.(I've dealt with worse sellers before and didn't put them in that thread)

The problem is, since you don't have any feedback in any threads, people would believe that the only transcation you ever had was with me and it was bad.(whether or whether not you've had good ones before)

BTW you did write this in your thread:

'Safariland 6004 SPF to Superhobo. (He was the 1st to PM me w/ interest, sorry to the others) "

Which typically means, you are waiting for funds, and ocne you get funds, you ship, you don't just let someone else jump in and buy it before you have payment.

How bout this:

You paypal me $5, that's it.

Let me know if bribes like that interest you, lol.

-Randy

(I read his message to say he wanted a bribe to not leave negaive feedback about me, which is insulting. I then looked at his information, saw he was only 14, and was even more upset)

Me - I don't have the PM, but I asked him to clarify what he meant by the $5 info.

Superhobo - 28/8/08 3:00pm

Give me a few bucks to reimburse me, since technically, that 6004 was kind of supposed to be mine(even though my wording is off)

With an added bonus, I wont' give you bad feedback.

Me - I then forwarded his PM to Marlowe, and said I found Superhobo's behavior and attitude to be insulting, and also said I hoped Superhobo and I would be able to resolve this matter between the 2 of us without further Admin/Mod assistance.

I then replied to Superhobo's message and told him that I had forwarded his message of a bribe to Marlowe, telling him that I had told Marlowe that I hoped we could work it out without further Admin/Mod oversight.

To be honest you were kinda wrong, Sold pending funds usually meens somebody has reserved it or you have held it for them untill they pay (within a reasonable time) you agreed to his payment method but did not wait for the funds to arrive. how did somebody else manage to paypal you the money? That meens you were entertaining other offers while you marked the item "sold pending funds" to avoid this in the future make it clear whoever pays first gets the item

You did kind of give him 'Shotgun' on the holster, but I 'spose the other guy had the cash ready, and you thought it sounded like a trade that was going to go bad.

Asking for a bribe kinda proves he's the sort of person who you wouldn't want to deal with.

You were a bit of an *albartroth*, but didn't really do anything wrong. A seller has the right to choose who to sell to.

I don't think it's fair of him to say he wants it, and then 'tire-kick' - i.e. asking loads of questions, and not paying immediately. If it's S.P.F., you should already know everything about the item, and have decided you definitely want to buy.

Ben.

Edited for clarity:

Dude 1 is selling a battery.

Dude 2 wants the battery and PM's Dude 1 about what his Paypal address is.

Dude 1 PMs back and says "It's all yours, my paypal address is myaddress@gmail.com"

Then Dude 2 logs into his Paypal and gets ready to send the money.

Then Dude 1 PMs him last minute and says "Sorry about that, Dude 3 PM'd me after you, and he just Paypal'd me."

I've been in Dude 2's (in this case, Superhobo's position) place recently...twice, actually.

There's really nothing you can do about it. Sure, I wasn't all that happy about it, but I moved on.

Half of me thinks your at fault, the other half of me thinks Hobo is at fault for not getting the money sent soon enough. To add to that, cash through the mail is usually a bad idea, anyway.

I'm not a fan of the whole "bribe" thing, either.

-Vic

I'll try to get the money out ASAP.

Suggesting he will send the payment as soon as possible, I read this as "I'll try to send payment tomorrow but it might be the next day". Since he's 14 anything needing to be shipped likely revolves around his parent's schedule which he does not control.

You should have confirmed with superhobo before accepting payment from another party at least for clarification.

I'm sure to superhobo he feels wronged by you, if he had sent payment that means he has $80usd out in the mail and isn't sure he will receive anything or get it back. I think the "bribe" is more of a grief thing rather than a "Pay me or else" reaction.

In the future, please get confirmations for everything possible concerning trades, when it comes down to it you really are dealing with people's money.

I am going to PM superhobo and talk to him about this.

-Dale

Ok 1st off, I did not ask for a bribe, I did not ask for a bribe, I did noty ask for bribe.

I was simply saying that it would be nice if he reimbursed me for the gas money, stamp I had to get rid of, etc.

Notice the "if bribes interest you, lol" I wasn't being serious.

I just knew that it sounded like a bribe so I went ahead and worded it that way/

I dont know about you guys but think of it this way.

You are dude 1. Eddrak Norat is dude 2.

What one item have you always wanted?(Be it an AI MBSS, eagle CIRAS, super cool AEG, whatever)

Ok now Eddrak Norat has this item you've always wanted, and he says it's still availible.

Just because your paypal funds are currently drained, isn't going to stop you from sending an offer, since you don't care how you send the money, you just want this item he has.

So he says he will take the cash in the mail you offered him, and you say you should get it out today or tommorow.

So he says "You're goodtogo, I'll go ahead and mark it SPF for you"

So then you run down to the post office, this letter with cash in it the only thing you brought.

Now as you walk into the post office, you get a call.

What does this call say?

"Eddrak Norat sold that item to someone else, and didn't tell you, don't send the letter, and coem back home"

Now how do you feel?

Not only did you not get that item that he said he was holding for you, but you just spent like 30 minutes driving to the post office, and now that you got that call, you just wasted that 30 minutes, and all the gas it took to get you there.

Don't you feel you should get soem kind of reimbursement, or do you just run back to your arnies account and tell eddrak norat "Thanks for letting me know you sodl it without telling me even though you were holding it for me"

I mean sure, he doesn't have to reimburse me, it's his choice, but it sure would have been nice.

So now that I just showed a little concern over this transcation, he marks me as a bad buyer?

Ok wow this is weird.

Essentially there is no issue, other than hurt feelings there is nothing owed to or from either party.

Communicate with your buyers, take the communications seriously even if you feel the buyer isn't 100% and inform the party if you are changing anything to the agreement.

Superhobo, I'm afraid you will have to chalk your expenses as a loss. You never got a chance to pay for anything of his so he really owes you nothing. If you had received a broken good you had payed for then yes, you might ask for a partial refund to cover this.

Archived