XM190

Donut

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your support on my last project, the ill-fated XM90. However, this time, I was able to overcome the problems of the last trial, and this time, I went all out and completely redesigned the P90.

Now, pictures first.

For all intent and purposes, I'm going to start calling this a plasma rifle. Since the magazine doesn't make much sense otherwise.

The XM190, in it's native form (missing the carry handle)

P1010041.jpg

LOLWUT

Now, an explanation

P1010046.jpg

Notice the "CAUTION" ;) Adds more to the Plasma Rifle feel.

Everyone knows no gun is perfect, so to make things better, you make them modular.

The XM190 sports a single top rail, perfect for any conventional high rise optic

P1010047.jpg

Another close up of the "chamber"

P1010048.jpg

When things get small and hairy, make the gun smaller

XM190S (CQC)

P1010049.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010051.jpg

If you feel the need to reach out and scorch something

XM190L (DMR)

P1010054.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010055.jpg

The takedown can be preformed through here

P1010056.jpg

And finally, the XM190 and all it has to offer (again, missing the carry handle)

P1010057.jpg

Thank you for your time.

If anyone wonders, the idea really came because I was looking for an easier and more varied ways of mounting optics on a P90. The XM90 was doomed from the start because it was still restricted by the P90's loading system. So I decided to redo the feeding mech. I had a hard time figuring out what to do, since there aren't really many magazines that would fit the P90. In the end it was a choice between the UTG shotgun magazines, or the shotgun shells, the shells won out mostly for it's reliability, price, and an extra 10rds.

Work got started slowly, since I didn't really have anything to base it off of. So I played around with some designs, and this is what came up. I had to steal some parts off an AUG body I had laying around, but it all worked out.

The gun still needs some more sanding and another coat, but it is right now functional.

Now, Q&A time.

could really do with filling in the gap between the mag and the rail, it'd make it look a bit more complete.

i think the CQC setup looks the best, if a little short at the front, i think it'd look quite cool if you had just the end of a fairly short and fat silencer poking out, then put tracer internals in it for the ultimate plasma rifle feel.

i'm not so sure about whats left of the P90's trigger guard/foregrip thing, it'd look better IMO if you could replace that with a more conventional trigger guard made out of a bit of thin sheet steel or summut.

optics wise i'd get a lil' doctor sight, that'd fit nicely with the futuristic feel of the gun.

interesting mag idea, surprised you've limited yourself to 30 rounds though. it'd be cool if you could build up the magwell (if thats what it'd be called on this) area so bits clip over and around the ends of the shell. so you put the front in first and then rock the other half in (with the other clippy bit being hinged and spring loaded to act as a mag catch and release, it would also (IMO) make it look more like some sort of unstable energy cell being clamped into place.

oh, and paint the shells with glow in the dark paint for poorly lit CQB :)

I think is a great design towards "futuristic looking weapons"...

If you could get translucent shells, they could be lit via a small green ot yellow led in the body, making it a perfect "atomic energy cell" :P (I won't get into "three coloured leds to represent "green yellow red" battery states...(my electronics soul pushes out... ^^ )

All in all, it's a great job man.

Wow...wow...very cool.

I'm amazed how it uses shotgun shells for ammo storage...very cool!

It's definetally a first, that's for sure.

I like the setup with the carry handle the most.

Keep up the good work!

-Vic

P.S. I'm thinking a tracer unit is in order. ^_^

I hadn't realized just how much spare parts you have. All of a sudden AUG components are finding their way in your projects. I'm all for the shotgun magazine bit except for the fact that it still looks like a shotgun shell. Maybe you could make it a little bigger and make the externals look like a fuse like this one but bigger. Jumbo glass fuses look ace too, but maybe replace the glass with see-through plastic.

5728944.jpg

could really do with filling in the gap between the mag and the rail, it'd make it look a bit more complete.

i think the CQC setup looks the best, if a little short at the front, i think it'd look quite cool if you had just the end of a fairly short and fat silencer poking out, then put tracer internals in it for the ultimate plasma rifle feel.

i'm not so sure about whats left of the P90's trigger guard/foregrip thing, it'd look better IMO if you could replace that with a more conventional trigger guard made out of a bit of thin sheet steel or summut.

optics wise i'd get a lil' doctor sight, that'd fit nicely with the futuristic feel of the gun.

interesting mag idea, surprised you've limited yourself to 30 rounds though. it'd be cool if you could build up the magwell (if thats what it'd be called on this) area so bits clip over and around the ends of the shell. so you put the front in first and then rock the other half in (with the other clippy bit being hinged and spring loaded to act as a mag catch and release, it would also (IMO) make it look more like some sort of unstable energy cell being clamped into place.

Agreed, if you could make a cover to go over the shells that would be awsome!

I wish someone would make the Assualt rifle from DOOM 3 :)

First, I'd just like to thank everyone. Now, on to the long post

I did thought about the tracer, but I don't want to buy it, so I'm going to see if I could mod the hopup to be the tracer itself.

As for the mag well, if you can still call it that, I'm still debating about it. On one hand it'd make sense to cover it, but on the other I don't really see the need, plus I kind of like how the shell just hangs there. Adding to that Plasma Rifle feel. I'll need more field testing for this.

And yes, painting the shells would be an awesome idea.

I think is a great design towards "futuristic looking weapons"...

If you could get translucent shells, they could be lit via a small green ot yellow led in the body, making it a perfect "atomic energy cell" :P (I won't get into "three coloured leds to represent "green yellow red" battery states...(my electronics soul pushes out... ^^ )

All in all, it's a great job man.

That's a great idea, I might do one of them just as a for fun display.

How does the feeding mech work? Is it still an AEG? I dun git et :( Its certainly differenct, creative, and kewl though ;)

The feeding tube was custom made to travel 90 degrees and drop the bb down. And yes, it is still an AEG, unfortunately :P

I hadn't realized just how much spare parts you have. All of a sudden AUG components are finding their way in your projects. I'm all for the shotgun magazine bit except for the fact that it still looks like a shotgun shell. Maybe you could make it a little bigger and make the externals look like a fuse like this one but bigger. Jumbo glass fuses look ace too, but maybe replace the glass with see-through plastic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/ren...cow/5728944.jpg

Heh, I have way too many spare parts, I've got almost parts from every single weapon family, shotguns, G36's, AR15's, G3/MP5's, and the list goes on :P

As I've said before, might do one or two custom shells for display and fun, but the reason I just stuck iwth normal shells is that I wouldn't have to mod each and every magazine. If I was going to do that, I'd have make custom short P90 mags or something.

Again, thank everyone for commenting, they are much appreciated. And keep them coming :D

Field Test Trial 1 -

Points to address--

Slightly back heavy

New grip angle

Possible new foregrip

Lower ROF

For all intent and purposes, the gun is a success. When I got to the game today, while test firing the gun and sighting it, I realized my hopup is missing the nub, nub-less, I know I was going to be out ranged, so 5 minutes before the game started, I swapped the barrel and went to the CQC configuration. And went on to play the rest of the game.

The 30rd shells were fine, I didn't notice a severe lack of ammo, I only used 4 shells at once, and that was enough for the most part. I did have to default back to my sidearm once, but that's because I went a little Rambo after realizing I was the only one left.

One thing I looked out for was reloading, and maybe today just wasn't intense enough, but I didn't have any trouble reloading. Though I did take my time. So I will need more field trials before deciding if I have to build a "mag well"

i wasnt talking about a full cover for the shells, more of just a bit at each end that clamps over. i thinkt hat would make it look more like an unstable energy cell that needs to be clamped in place. heres an MS paint diagram.

shellidea.jpgas for the tracer, why not do what doc did with his AK? drill a hole in the hop up unit and mount an IR LED or two in there? he did a thread about it, i think it was called 'DIY tracer mod' or something.

edit: you said about having a slower ROF, but that would increase trigger lag. why not go the other way and try to up the ROF as much as you can afford to do and then install a burst mosfet? that way you can easily conserve ammo while maintaining a good ROF and little trigger lag.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much, I gave it an internal overhaul before I left.

I still need to figure out what I need to do, there's something odd about it, but I can't figure out what. It's like there's a small issue that is keeping me from absolutely loving it.

I think the rail mounts are a little too low and too high, so I'll need to work on that first.

Archived